Welcome to the APBWeb.
    triggerpull is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630

Anybody got the newer Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630? I'm thinking about upgrading, but not sure it's worth the $150.00 upgrade price. Any suggestions?

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I'm pretty happy with my $49 Spring Blackberry Curve, but so far I'm been unsucessful in getting its internet connection to actually work as a modem for my PC via Bluetooth when my PC isn't near a hotspot.

That might be because the Bluetooth computer side configuration instructions are vague, and missing something to set up the modem & PAN services.

I also wish the Curve automatically used hotspots when it finds them to boost the Internet speed - But it doesn't have WiFi. Can the Tour do that?

The Sprint GPS navigation program isn't as good as my dedicated Magellian GPS - It tends to be slow, making me miss turns and have to go back. I've never had the Magellian do that.

Oh yeah... It's also a phone

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have the Tour on Verizon. I got it around the first part of September. I've owned the Pearl, Curve, and now this. So far the Tour is my favorite.

Pros: Faster operating system, more application memory, awesome camera.
    Cons: Reboot time takes longer due to more memory, call quality sometimes is shitty and can sound somewhat muffled.

There are supposed to be system upgrades out soon that will address the reboot and call quality.

I could've upgraded when it first came out, but I usually like to wait a few months to let the bugs get worked out. I got two for the 150 upgrade price and I think it was well worth it.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    I'm still rocking the nextel i580

As for the tour.... its a pretty cool phone. One of my buddies has the verizon version and loves it. I heard a rumor that a version with wifi could be coming later on this year.

JeffW is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I just upgraded from the Nextel 8350i to the Tour on the sprint network. Since our task force left Nextel, no reason to stay on a slow network.

So far I am pleased with the speed of the system and the applications and more memory. The one thing that baffles me is that I used to be able to put a call on hold and take another call and join them for 3 way calling. Cannot do that anymore.

Also the screen does not show who is on hold which I think is a step backward.

Also this tour does not have wi-fi. A new one released next year will.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I was a Blackberry virgin, just got the Verizon Tour yesterday and I'm ready to throw it against the wall.

Ok, not really but it is a little frustrating. After using the LG enV for the last two years, I just have to get used to the different keyboard and learn all of the functions of the Blackberry.

The one thing I've noticed so far is that the call quality is MUCH better than on my previous cell phone, the calls have been very clear.

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    Learning how to use a Blackberry can be difficult. It took me a week to figure mine out. I am a whiz on that thing now. It will get easier, just like any technology, it takes some time to learn.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I was a Blackberry virgin, just got the Verizon Tour yesterday and I'm ready to throw it against the wall.

Ok, not really but it is a little frustrating. After using the LG enV for the last two years, I just have to get used to the different keyboard and learn all of the functions of the Blackberry.

The one thing I've noticed so far is that the call quality is MUCH better than on my previous cell phone, the calls have been very clear.
    Welcome to the addicting world of crackberry!
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Thread Information