Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Windows 7

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Windows 7

Well let's see who is getting the new windows or has a new computer with it already installed. Lets leave some feedback so we can decide if paying $120.00 for the upgrade is worth it. Like most I will be waiting at least a few months, so all the bugs can get worked out............
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I've had the 64bit windows 7 RC for months and it works fine. It's a huge improvement over vista.
    Romans 13:4
    For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    I am getting windows 7 because I purchased a dell a few months ago but they have not contacted me yet.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    My buddy who works for Best Buy got the Ultimate edition last week and installed it on his laptop. Then yesterday I bought a new laptop with Windows 7 preinstalled. Works fine for now
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I've been running the Release Candidate on my laptop and desktop for a couple months. I love it. I hated Vista so much that I "upgraded" my laptop to XP when I bought it. I'll definitely be purchasing the retail version in the near future.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I've never upgraded an operating system; I just get the upgrade when I buy a new computer. I figure it's too much trouble to deal with the bugs that crop up when upgrading. I'm still using Windows XP.

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

Windows 7

Alright guys, sell me on it then. What will it do that XP won't do? I have read good things about it, but I will probably just wait until I get another computer.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Kinda depends what you're doing and how much your time is worth to you - and how much time spent fiddling with the PC is work vs entertainment.

Just as an example, Media Player has been updated quite a bit in Win7 and so is the Windows Movie Maker for Win7. XP versions aren't going to get all the updates, so if you want to watch a h.264 encoded movie, or edit with it or a number of codecs developed in recent years, XP's built in tools won't help you while Win7's will.

On the other hand, if you haven't run into a problem with that in XP yet you probably won't.

Security wise : who knows? Win7's structure is better in user accounts and such, XP has been hardened with a decade of patches. Depends what your use is again.

Performance : While Vista was a dog and Win7 is faster, XP is pretty quick on modern hardware. Pretty much a tie for most users.

User interface : Win7 is modern and pretty, XP is cartoonish. Fashion points to Win7

And so on. Basically if XP is working for you, no reason to change now. Unlike Vista, no reason to stay with XP vs Win7 when getting a new PC. Right now software isn't going to make you change, but expect XP support to be dropped for software and device drivers in the not distant future.

If you do want to put Win7 on an older PC, run the Window 7 Upgrade Advisor first. It'll check your hardware and tell you if it's supported, might save some headaches.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

thanantos is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    I've been running the Release Candidate on my laptop and desktop for a couple months. I love it. I hated Vista so much that I "upgraded" my laptop to XP when I bought it. I'll definitely be purchasing the retail version in the near future.
    Same here. I bought a 17" dell laptop about 2 years ago and at the time you could only get 17" laptops with Vista. I did not think the added beauty of Vista was worth the extra PITA or the system resources so I pitched a bitch when I went to order the same machine for a friend and found that because of the Vista backlash M$ had opened things up a bit and it was offered with XP.

So I up/downgraded, but love Windows 7 now.

It is important to note though that it works great on my lappie partly because it was designed for Vista. All the drivers are available, etc.

On the other hand, I have a thanantos built desktop that has an odd ball motherboard (socket 939), and I cannot find Vista/Windows 7 drivers for it. So that machine runs Ubuntu now.
    The truth is you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.
    I'm tryin'...real hard...to be the shepherd.

DSAM-MI.org

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    I just received my windows 7 disk and upgraded my laptop. I am very impressed with some of the features.

triggerpull is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I just purchased a real nice dual core processor toshiba 13.3 in screen with Windows 7 pre-installed. I have two other home networked computers with XP and man you can really tell the difference. I enjoy the ease of applications and how nothing locks up. I've loaded a ton of programs on the laptop and put it through the ringer already. Plus I use it for most of my work files and Trigger Pull Tactical Tactical website design. Runs smooth as a babies butt. I don't know if I'd pay $120 for the upgrade just yet, but it's worth it down the road a month or so. Ask for it for Christmas!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Tip a (few) day late for upgraders. MS had the nicely priced "Family Pack" with three W7 Home Premium upgrade licenses for $150. In the spirit of the holidays they axed it a couple days ago.

If you were thinking about upgrading, or heck if you want to sell it for double MSRP on eBay and use the profit to buy something else, might check your mom and pop shops to see if they have any left.

Of course I finally converted a couple systems over with the Release Candidate and made myself use it to get a clearer picture. With classic timing, I do this just as the last of the deals dies, ha!

Oh...
    Quote Originally Posted by thanantos View Post
    On the other hand, I have a thanantos built desktop that has an odd ball motherboard (socket 939), and I cannot find Vista/Windows 7 drivers for it. So that machine runs Ubuntu now.
    Out of morbid curiosity I stuck W7 on my old lapster. I've tried Ubuntu, Redhat on it before. XP was faster so I went back to it. Specs : PIII 1ghz, 384meg ram, SIS chipset...yeah, OUCH. (It was an auction rescue. I love rescue mutts in many varieties) Had to liberate some audio drivers from Windows Server 2003, never did get the modem working, but everything else worked with the default driver set or there was an update provided through Windows Update. Big kudos to MS on that. This thing came out in early 2002, but was sold with Win98 since XP was too much of a hog for it.

Now to say W7 is snappy would be lying. To say it's as fast as XP would be stretching the truth, though this is smoother about handling maxed out CPU/ram conditions. Flash video performance is down a bit compared to XP, but otherwise it's perfectly usable. Of course the "Windows Experience" rating is a 1.0, but then I just browse, download, listen to mp3s, etc on it anyway, no gaming and it never could do Hulu. Not bad for an install I had to do on another machine since W7 won't even let you install without at least 512meg. Still faster than Ubuntu: Redhat was painfully bad on this hardware, but then I don't know diddly about tweaking linux.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to. Been too much of a grump to mix with people so I've been playing with the toys. Just wish I'd done it a bit earlier before the 3 license pack deal died.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I wish they would stop upgrading windows, it basically forces everyone to buy new software and/or computers just to stay compatible with the internet. But I guess that's the point.

When I bought my computer it came with Vista but it also came with a free upgrade to Windows 7. I just recieved my email yesterday saying they have shipped the CD to me. I guess I'm one of the few people that doesn't have any problems with Vista but I am looking forward to Windows 7.

thanantos is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    When I bought my computer it came with Vista but it also came with a free upgrade to Windows 7. I just recieved my email yesterday saying they have shipped the CD to me. I guess I'm one of the few people that doesn't have any problems with Vista but I am looking forward to Windows 7.
    I never had any problems with Vista either, but my Dell laptop was designed for it. I downgraded to XP because I preferred the extra horsepower over the limited extra features that Vista came with, but I prepaid for Windows 7 after previewing the beta and am happy for the upgrade.
    The truth is you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.
    I'm tryin'...real hard...to be the shepherd.

DSAM-MI.org

Thread Information