Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    By the way. That hiya stuff is a lot easier when you're 6'+ and 200lbs +. Us "other" sized people have to do it the real world way. I'll let your imagination figure that out.
    I know someone I want to introduce you to - same size as you and every bit as good as Steven - even tossing around people my size without effort.

Aikido is serious shit, and has nothing at all to do with your size.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO
    Lew is right though Mac, hiya is a lot easier at that, shall we say, level? When you're like Lew and I, well, some nights aikido is great but always remember a little pepper spray goes a long way.
    Romans 8:28-31

"Anima Sana In Corpore Sano"

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Sheriff, County Board, or any member of my department.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Oh don't get me wrong Aikido is serious and real. I got that part. Now before I say what I say I know some of the hard core people here that train various types of defense will say stop with the excuses. I'm prepared for this and understand it.
    Here, shall we say, in my world, between a household of people, kids, 3 jobs, 12 hour work days and overtime, I don't have time for a martial art lifestyle. And it is a lifestyle. Had I the time I too could become someone who easily does the things Mr. Seagal, or perhaps your friend does. He is no joke regardless of what is thought of his movie career. I've never met the man but I stand in awe of his accomplishments.
    However, in my life I simply do not have, ability to devote that much time. In my opinion the police "self defense" tactics we are taught are a joke. That's right I said it. A joke. And I also haven't had any further DT training since the academy in 1996. The only training I get is what I do myself. This is just the world where I live in Louisiana. I should have moved away from here a long time ago but I didn't. Training here is mostly what ever you do yourself. So I use my own means and always at least ask for backup. Just because I know my limitations doesn't mean I'll back down.
    In retrospect I certainly wish I had pursued a martial arts background when I was able to. It is why I am seriously considering allowing my two youngest children to what I nor their older siblings were able to. Now that I have some older kids to call on for transportation and supervision there is an Aikido school about 12 miles from where we live.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I agree Lew. Since 1985 I have had 3 DT classes. The one at the academy, a weapons retention class, and a knife defense class. If you don't use that stuff you lose it and wind up reverting to using your head to stay out of trouble and street fighting when you can't. Some places just don't provide much training and most cops with part time jobs to make ends meet, with young kids to take care of, just can't do it on their own.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So I use my own means and always at least ask for backup.
    At least you have back up
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yeah no kidding. I wish your situation would improve.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hey I caught the suspect last night in that taxi case

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hey! Awesome! -1 more. At least until they release him on probation.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I wonder if criminals, victims, and witnesses ever ask Steven Seagal for autographs when they realize who he is.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yep.

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    I managed to watch both shows this morning, and I have to say, I'm impressed by his shooting abilities and his defensive tactics. Not being much of a tv person, I never would have thought he was the real deal. I get so tired of hearing people talk about this actor or another, and how tough they are, only to find out they are like Mel Gibson........
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    He's a great shooter and great at martial arts. I give him that. It would be great training from him.

How many Christmases and Thanksgivings has he worked? Anniversary? Work. Wife's birthday? Work. How many special occasions celebrated a few days later when he's off duty finally?

How many little league games has he missed because he's working an off duty gig to pay the electric bill?

How many long cold nights has he spent with wet feet from chasing someone through a creek?

How many doors has he gone through, wondering if an ambush was waiting on the other side?

How many battered women have spit on him because he's arresting their husband?

How many times has he spent all day in court after working midnight shift, and returning to work another with no sleep?

He's not a cop. NOT. He's a celebrity cheerleader with a badge.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    I seriously hope you guys aren't really buying into this guy.Yes he was commisioned by Harry Lee,---when he rode in Harrys Mardi Gras Parade.He has come down occasionally and rode.BUT,he rides with the colonels etc.The guy he refers to as "Johnny" is Col.John Fortunato,public information officer for about the past 30 years,yeah he patrols a lot----NOT.I have a friend with JPSO (that actually has appeared in the background of a couple scenes),Why in the background,?????cause they wait till everything is code 4 ,move everyone back(musnt' sully the star) and guess who comes in????

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Just like the other "cop" show from Broward County here in Florida. Scene gets secure, now roll cameras.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

JSO85360 is offline Coming soon through a door near you!
    Verified LEO
    Didn't know all that info from the last few posts....One less program I have to set the DVR up for. Now it's just Dexter and Sons of Anarchy......and the MMA fights.
    The six o'clock rule
    I tell them to act according to the six o'clock rule, a phrase that causes most of them to say, "Huh?"
    I tell them to use this little test before they decide to do something. If they were to do what they're thinking about, and it became the lead story on the six o'clock news, would they be proud? Would their department be proud, and would their family be proud? It's a simple way to live your life both personally and professionally.

Bruce Thomason

"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    Dexter, that show is wild.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I just saw the re-run of it tonight. Okay, but won't hold my interest long. You can tell that the only reason he holds his high "rank" in the Reserve program is because of his star factor.

I respect him for doing what he does, and am pleased to see that he gets in the mix. Just think it's a little contrived. Now...if they showed the things that most reserve units that I know of, then I'd believe a little more. Give me Steven directing traffic for a parade, or crowd control, and I'd buy it. But ripping down the streets in unmarked rides and kickin ass all of the time...? nahhh.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Depends where you are. Up here reserves are full fledged peace officers while on duty. They will usually grab a car and handle a beat, take all the calls, reports, arrests etc.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Depends where you are. Up here reserves are full fledged peace officers while on duty. They will usually grab a car and handle a beat, take all the calls, reports, arrests etc.

Here they are too, don't get me wrong. But more often than not they are handling the details we don't want to do. And much love to them for that. If the shows features that part at some point, then I'll be impressed.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Here too, but when there's special events like a parade, all the Reserves are doing that. The rest of the time, they patrol at times they select, either with or without a partner, depending on the agency.

Most of them can operate by themselves, like City of Dallas, Rhome Richardson, etc - but some, like the Dallas Sheriff's Reserves, only ride with full-time deputies, much like Seagal seems to be doing.

Generally they have to put in 16-20 hours per month every month, which you can't do just by attending special events.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information