Welcome to the APBWeb.
    121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Blackberry Storm 2...I loved it....

...but now it's gone!

Ugh, can I say how frustrated I am right now? I JUST bought a Storm 2 last night at 7pm. After doing all my research, and reading about all the QC issues that you can potentially have (screen problems, buttons, etc), I bit the bullet. Based on web consensus, it seems that teh ones assembled in Mexico are actually the best. This was true of the Storm 1 as well. I got a Mexico unit on the first draw, and it was flawless. NO problems with the screen buttons, etc. Smooth, stable, and non buggy OS. I was in love with the thing.

I fasted from 9pm last night all through today before my annual physical since I was getting blood taken. Did my physical, bloodwork, etc. Sat down to a gorgeous 12 oz ribeye and some salad and mashed potatoes at Texas Roadhouse tonight at 6pm. It was awesome. Got a picture of the DOA cop killer on the gurney on the new Storm 2 from a copper friend who knows someone at Seattle PD. What a perfect night! Right? It WAS, until I passed the phone around the table for my other popo buddies to admire. One goes to hand the phone back to me, while talking to someone else, so he's looking the other direction. He lets go of it before I grab it. Down it goes into a full glass of water. AAARRRGHGHHHHH! I baby my gadgets, and this phone was pristine at 24 hours old. From the best assembly plant, and functioning flawlessly. I've never dropped a phone before, much less had one dunked in water.

The screen won't "click" anymore (the Storm 2 is an artificial haptic feedback click paired with 4 pressure sensors, so you can press on two sections of the screen at once, not like the Storm 1's single mechanical button underneath the screen) Quickly remove the battery, notice all the water stickers are red. SHIT. Now it won't even turn on.

Haul ass to the Verizon store because I've got insurance. They tell me that unlike Sprint (who I used to have and where I could pay a $50 deductible and have a new phone right then), I will have one overnighted to me by the insurance company by 5PM TOMORROW! WTF? Plus side is the device is so new that there are no refurbs in circulation, so I'm guaranteed a new phone. Down side is that the phone I might get might not be from Mexico (the best manufacturing standards, surprisingly). It might be from Canada (surprisingly poor QC), or Hungary, or CHINA! It might be plagued with the manufacturing problems that abound the net...poor screen response/fitment, etc. If that happens, I can have it replaced this time at a store because Verizon does warranty/defect replacements in the store...I can then schmooze the rep to make sure he pulls a Mexico unit for me. But depending on the store, they might or might not have "warranty" units (i.e. units without the extra manuals, chargers, etc) on hand, or they might have to have one shipped to the STORE. Ugh.

It's the geek in me coming out, because I like my electronics to be physically perfect, but I am frustrated beyond belief right now. I can't believe I paid $279 (minus a $100 rebate), + $50 insurance deductible, for a phone that I barely got to use and had it fried less than 24 hrs later. My friends didn't quite understand since I will have a new one, and I didn't want to let my frustration show because my buddy feels bad enough. I can't really be mad at him...honest mistake. He offered to pay the $50, but I didn't want to do that to him. I eventually settled for letting him pay for half by letting him buy me $25 worth of drinks when we go out next. I've got the unit packed in dry white rice right now (it sucks the moisture out) so I can hopefully use it tomorrow if it will turn on until my replacement gets here or if there's a problem of any kind with the replacement. The warranty is voided though (due to the known water damage). Until it dries out, I reactivated my old Storm 1 and am currently loathing the thing.

Sorry, but I had to vent. And for those who are my BBM contacts, that's why you had new PIN notifications from me, and you'll have ANOTHER from me tomorrow. (And maybe more in the next day or two, depending whether the replacement I get is shoddy) Oh well...we'll see what the replacement looks like tomorrow. Who knows...it might even be a BETTER unit. One can only hope.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I got that same picture sent to me. When you get your new phone PM me and I'll send it to you
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    What;s the source? She just corrected herself and told me friend of a friend so who knows.

I've still got it since she emailed it to me too. Thanks though. I'm making it my screensaver!
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Shoulda got a Droid.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I tried the Droid, since it and the Storm 2 were the only phones I could apply my preferred customer early upgrade to. The system is nice, especially the big screen and the smooth software. There were a couple dealbreakers to me though...first, the camera, while 5MP, seemed to really drown out colors compared side by side to the Storm. I have a nice digital camera, but I take a LOT of photos with the phone, and I wanted the nicer colors. Second, I can't stand the form factor. VERY boxy and sharp corners, and I don't like the chicklet type keyboard...never liked those. I don't like having to text in landscape when I only have one hand free to do so.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I feel you 121, I am all about taking care of my electronics, my cell (iphone 3G S) is top on my list. I am proud to say I have never dropped one, I never take it out of my car while at work, just too many things could happen to it.....................
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I got that same picture sent to me. When you get your new phone PM me and I'll send it to you
    WTF..I share with you
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I sent him a pm about that too............ Not that I have EVER shared, but if I get those pictures I might START sharing..............LOL
    Swamp Mafia

~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Damn dude...I feel your pain. Except for the fact I never got a new pin request yesterday.....

When ya get it back, and get that pic....hook a brotha up.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

JeffW is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    That SUX. I played with the Storm 2 and really liked it, but I am not willing to switch carriers. It is a sweet phone..

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Ouch! Hope you get a new one that's just as good.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That has to be some kind of record.

Seriously though, I feel for you - I'd be livid if that happened to me.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    That has to be some kind of record.

Seriously though, I feel for you - I'd be livid if that happened to me.
    Nope, I witnessed this lady exit a AT@T store after purchasing her brand new iphone...............of course she drops it and of course it is toast. I know it is kind of mean, but I was sitting in my unit and trying to hide, since I was laughing my ass off.............
    Swamp Mafia

~Edmond Burke

~Ernest Hemingway

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    Does the Storm 2 still use the same "clunky" OS as the Storm 1? I don't know where my Storm was made, but it was the biggest POS I have ever had the misfortune of owning. It stalled, took forever to reboot, and by the time I got rid of it ... would work "okay" for about an hour, and then require a reboot, which took 20 minutes. So forget using the phone, let alone in an emergency. I dropped it and went to an iPhone and have been happy.

The first Storm seemed like it was rushed out to early, and hyped as an iPhone killer. Instead, the iPhone killed it. Hopefully for Blackberry, the Storm 2 is what it was meant to be.
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The Storm 2 is leaps and bounds ahead of the OS in terms of stability. It is BB 5.0, and while not light years ahead in terms of features and nifty gadgets, it is familiar and is VERY smooth. It has about 300% the application memory too, so it very rarely develops any lag (I would say once every three weeks or so) and a restart brings you up fresh. I own an iPod Touch that I love, and I'm not going to be a BB fan boy and say that it is as smooth as the iPhone/iTouch, but it is definitely what the 1st storm was meant to be.

Thread Information