Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar
    Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    America, 2505 A.D.
    Posts
    2,840
    Rep Power
    3732207

    New Computer, Same Old Problems

    So we just bought a new computer because my wife decimated the other one searching for "free clip art." We didn't get anything extravagant...a Dell Studio Slim (around $500). Well, we get it out, set it up and I'm having a problem with the new one...one I used to have with the OLD one. That is, it won't download anything. Any type of internet video only loads halfway, and when I was trying to download iTunes, it only gets about halfway through then stops making progress on the download. Any ideas, OR Computer Nerds??? I have half a feeling that it could be McAfee. We didn't really have any problems on the old one until we got McAfee. This one came with it already installed, and apparently it's a bitch to remove. Could that be it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

  2. #2
    Cidp24's Avatar
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    07-17-06
    Location
    Crossroads of the Sunny South
    Posts
    8,131
    Rep Power
    3999639
    I don't know how to help you but McaFee used to give me fits. I use AVG now and it's a lot easier.
    *************************
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    *************************
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)


    Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

  3. #3
    pgg's Avatar
    pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    06-16-08
    Location
    Fled the Emerald Triangle
    Posts
    10,999
    Rep Power
    4046224
    Either shoot it or kick it. It makes me feel better
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

  4. #4
    Odd's Avatar
    Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    10-08-08
    Posts
    2,056
    Rep Power
    2508664
    Are you connected through a wired connection or via wireless?

    Is this a DSL, Cable Modem, or other type of connection?

    Disabling McAfee's real time protection/scan downloads features could give you some insight if it's the problem. Hard to believe it'd be so bad as to break YouTube out of the box, but you should be able to disable those parts without uninstalling it.

  5. #5
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar
    Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    America, 2505 A.D.
    Posts
    2,840
    Rep Power
    3732207
    Dear Dell,

    Fuck you. I just gave you $500 for a new computer, and the answer you give when I tell you I'm having problems with it is "well, you didn't purchase the software warranty, so we can't help you. If you'd like, you can buy the software warranty for $250 and we'll help you. Otherwise, go throw your fucking computer in the goddamn garbage can." I have officially sworn eternal vengance against Dell. Dell, along with Lowe's, can lick my nards. I don't care if Dell is giving away free handjobs with the purchase of a $4 laptop, I will never give those greedy douchebags another red cent. If I ever meet someone who works for Dell, I'm going to kick them in the taint as hard as I can.

    Love,
    me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

  6. #6
    thanantos's Avatar
    thanantos is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    10-13-09
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    174
    Rep Power
    136649
    As much as Dell should be lauded for making great hardware they should be beaten for adding terrible, terribly gross amounts of crap software to that hardware.

    Dell machines are really the best you can buy out there (of the major manufacturers), but almost all of them need to be exorcised of the crap software included with them (including the worst of all, dreaded beast McAfee) before they can be used.

    Use Revo uninstaller to remove all the software you will never use (including McAfee) and then install Avast free anti-virus and you will be much happier.
    The truth is you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.
    I'm tryin'...real hard...to be the shepherd.

    DSAM-MI.org

  7. #7
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,385
    Rep Power
    4817859
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    If I ever meet someone who works for Dell, I'm going to kick them in the taint as hard as I can.
    Fortunately for them, most of them work in faraway developing countries, so you're not likely to meet them anytime soon.

  8. #8
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,803
    Rep Power
    4604045
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Fortunately for them, most of them work in faraway developing countries, so you're not likely to meet them anytime soon.
    If you buy your Dell on a government or employee purchase, you get to talk to Americans when it has an issue.

    McAfee can be removed without resorting to aftermarket software. I'd first disable the scan on download feature and see if your problem resolves.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



  9. #9
    TXCharlie's Avatar
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Join Date
    12-29-05
    Location
    Dallas Area
    Posts
    5,528
    Rep Power
    3224965
    Make sure Internet Explorer's Temporary Internet Files cache is set to at least 250 MB.

    You might also want to run a speed test on your internet connection, on sites like CNET Bandwidth Meter: Online Speed Test - CNET Reviews - If it's a cable modem for example, the TV signal can interfeer with it and slow it down if the lines aren't matched. My Roadrunner also had a problem of corroded connectors which the techs failed to diagnose after about 6 trips out - By the time they fixed it, I had converted to Fiber Optic Verizon FIOS.

    A more sophisticated speed test is available as a free trial at Cisco - Speed Meter Pro


    The Temporary Files setting is located in the menu: Tools.. Internet Options.. General tab, and then click the Browsing History settings button on IE 7 and IE 8. You should see a setting for Disk Space to use.

    When it downloads a video, it first goes into the Temporary Internet Files folder, so you might want to also check the location to make sure it's going to a disk that has at least a GB (1000 MB) of space left on it - The exact folder it's using shouldn't matter too much.

    If you're using Firefox, it probably has a similar setting somewhere in its menu.

    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

  10. #10
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar
    Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    America, 2505 A.D.
    Posts
    2,840
    Rep Power
    3732207
    Well, spent 2.5 hours on the phone with a pleasant Dell tech named Karl. Karl lives in Vancouver and is a big fan of the movie "Furngully." After messing with my system for a while, he believes it may be my ISP (AT&T). So we got on the phone with AT&T, and I gues they're sending a tech out sometime this week to take a look at the issue. I'm not exactly a computer scientist, but I don't think that would be the problem, since I have no problem with connections (I load pages fast) and a speed test said I'm downloading at about 1.3 mbps and uploading at 3.2 mbps. I just know that I had to spend an extra $250 to have the option of speaking with someone at Dell about the problem, and that pissess me smooth off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

  11. #11
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,385
    Rep Power
    4817859
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Well, spent 2.5 hours on the phone with a pleasant Dell tech named Karl. Karl lives in Vancouver and is a big fan of the movie "Furngully."
    At least he's far enough from you for his taint to be safe!

  12. #12
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,803
    Rep Power
    4604045
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Make sure Internet Explorer's Temporary Internet Files cache is set to at least 250 MB.
    That shouldn't matter, as once the temporary cache is written it should begin to save the file to the specified location.

    All that does is act like a print spool for saving, and assuming his machine is reasonably stout should not present a problem.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



  13. #13
    tapout's Avatar
    tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-08-06
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    1,554
    Rep Power
    1618735
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Well, spent 2.5 hours on the phone with a pleasant Dell tech named Karl. Karl lives in Vancouver and is a big fan of the movie "Furngully."
    i find it interesting that you went with the "k" for "karl", rather then go with the more traditional "c"...you truly are a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an inigma
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.


    the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

  14. #14
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,385
    Rep Power
    4817859
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    i find it interesting that you went with the "k" for "karl", rather then go with the more traditional "c"...you truly are a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an inigma

  15. #15
    tapout's Avatar
    tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-08-06
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    1,554
    Rep Power
    1618735
    ...or maybe youre a blood gang member and refuse to recognize the letter "c"
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.


    the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

  16. #16
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar
    Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    America, 2505 A.D.
    Posts
    2,840
    Rep Power
    3732207
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    i find it interesting that you went with the "k" for "karl", rather then go with the more traditional "c"...you truly are a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an inigma
    Well, since me and ol' Karl are bestest buddies, I actually asked him, and he said he spells it with a "K." And now my iPhone is messing up. I think The Unabomber was on to something. The anti-tech stuff, I mean. Not the mass murder bombing stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

  17. #17
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,385
    Rep Power
    4817859
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Well, since me and ol' Karl are nearest buddies, I actually asked him, and he said he spells it with a "K." And now my iPhone is messing up. I think The Unabomber was on to something. The anti-tech stuff, I mean. Not the mass murder bombing stuff.








  18. #18
    TXCharlie's Avatar
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Join Date
    12-29-05
    Location
    Dallas Area
    Posts
    5,528
    Rep Power
    3224965
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    That shouldn't matter, as once the temporary cache is written it should begin to save the file to the specified location.

    All that does is act like a print spool for saving, and assuming his machine is reasonably stout should not present a problem.
    Yes, but I've found that if the cache size setting is too small, a large file might hit the cache size limit. If it does that, the download would time out on IE5 or IE6 when it hit the limit. Not sure what it does on recent versions.

    I guess the ISP might be to blame if they have a high burst rate, but they have their bandwidth throttle set too low - That would allow web pages to display fast, but then on a sustained download like a video file after a few seconds or minutes of downloads, the throttle would cause the speed to taper off - Broadband shouldn't throttle down like that these days.

    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

  19. #19
    thanantos's Avatar
    thanantos is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    10-13-09
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    174
    Rep Power
    136649
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    If you buy your Dell on a government or employee purchase, you get to talk to Americans when it has an issue.

    McAfee can be removed without resorting to aftermarket software. I'd first disable the scan on download feature and see if your problem resolves.
    Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I wanted to set the record straight here:

    You CAN uninstall Mcafee (or virtually any other windows software) "without resorting to aftermarket software" but you shouldn't. You can also hunt with a rock, but it's probably not as effective.

    This situation is apropos to Christmas especially since many of you have fresh new computers that Best Buy probably tried desperately to get you buy $70 worth of Geek Squad to service to "optimize".

    All the geek squad does for that $70 is remove all the crap software that software companies paid your manufacturer to include on your machine. You CAN uninstall this software (or Mcafee or anything else) using the windows "Install/Uninstall software wizard" in the control panel, but the problem with that is that all that wizard does is invoke the programs own uninstaller which might leave behind hundreds registry entries and unused files. This is to the advantage of the software maker because then if you ever re-install their software it is faster and your settings are saved.

    If you use Revo Uninstaller (it's free), Revo will root out those left over items and delete them too.

    AND all those registry entries and left over files are what slows Windows down over time. Remember how your computer was super fast when you bought it, and now it's slow as a dog? That is partly the reason.

    I work on MANY different people's computers, typically using Revo to uninstall all the crapware, and have been told by many, many people that their computers run faster after I get done with them then they did when they were brand new.
    The truth is you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.
    I'm tryin'...real hard...to be the shepherd.

    DSAM-MI.org

  20. #20
    MacLean's Avatar
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    09-05-07
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    11,803
    Rep Power
    4604045
    Quote Originally Posted by thanantos View Post
    Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I wanted to set the record straight here:

    You CAN uninstall Mcafee (or virtually any other windows software) "without resorting to aftermarket software" but you shouldn't. You can also hunt with a rock, but it's probably not as effective.

    This situation is apropos to Christmas especially since many of you have fresh new computers that Best Buy probably tried desperately to get you buy $70 worth of Geek Squad to service to "optimize".

    All the geek squad does for that $70 is remove all the crap software that software companies paid your manufacturer to include on your machine. You CAN uninstall this software (or Mcafee or anything else) using the windows "Install/Uninstall software wizard" in the control panel, but the problem with that is that all that wizard does is invoke the programs own uninstaller which might leave behind hundreds registry entries and unused files. This is to the advantage of the software maker because then if you ever re-install their software it is faster and your settings are saved.

    If you use Revo Uninstaller (it's free), Revo will root out those left over items and delete them too.

    AND all those registry entries and left over files are what slows Windows down over time. Remember how your computer was super fast when you bought it, and now it's slow as a dog? That is partly the reason.

    I work on MANY different people's computers, typically using Revo to uninstall all the crapware, and have been told by many, many people that their computers run faster after I get done with them then they did when they were brand new.
    I appreciate you setting the record straight for the average user.

    Revo or CCleaner or any of the similar registry applications are useful, but not thorough. I liken them to traction control - handy, but a skilled driver can do better.

    I sort of grew up hanging around Redwest and Building 44 in Redmond, so I like to manage my own registry.

    I'm right there with you on the bloatware - anyone should be removing that shit right away. You should think about writing a column for our front page to help people figure out how to do that.
    I'm your huckleberry...

    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

    You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.


    I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...



 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •