Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Which is better, Mac or PC?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Macs are better

7 30.43%
  • PCs are better

11 47.83%
  • Mac and PC are equally good

5 21.74%
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Which is better, Mac or PC?

I'm using a PC, but I'm thinking of switching to a Mac because I read that the Mac OS is less prone to viruses and crashes than Windows. What do you all think? Which is better, Mac or PC?

Emily is offline Corporal
    I can't give you any "techy" advice, but I think it depends on what you will be using the computer for. When I was in advertising I preferred the Mac for my spreadsheets. The programs worked better. I use a PC now and would probably never go back to a Mac unless I had to.....or took up advertising again.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Thanks! I'll just be using this computer to access the internet. Nothing fancy.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    If all you'll be doing is surfing the net, get a PC. They're cheaper and just as good. Macs have their strong sides, surfing the internet is a wash
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The only thing I don't like about my PC is Windows Vista. I hate it. I'd like to try Windows 7.

Everyone claims PC's are open to more viruses and spyware, etc....which is probably true. But every computer, PC or Mac should have a good virus/spyware program anyway.

I keep mine up to date and haven't had any problems.

But then again, I'm not a technology wizard by any means..just an average user.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A PC is always going to win for someone who isn't doing specific tasks the Mac does well, like being a graphics workstation.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

NC Bullseye is offline Officer First Class
    Macs are terrible, they don't let you enjoy the fun of millions of viruses, worms, malware, and back doors on the internet like a PC. With a Mac you will loose all of your command line skills since you don't need them anymore. PC's will enrich your vocabulary with many new and useful words that sailors like when things go as they usually do. Macs will cause you to waste more time since being at the computer doesn't seem like work anymore and last but far from least, Macs are so two faced that you can run either the Mac OS or Windows and both function as well as they do on the native machines.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Same hardware architecture at this point, OS-X and Win7 are both mature and user friendly. Differences are mostly about price, familiarity with software and who you side with in the ever fun Mac/PC war.

There is the Apple Tax and it is steep if you just want to do basic stuff. On the other hand, if you went with say a 27" iMac you'd have a fully capable computer that gives you a lot of screen, but takes very little space. It's ultra quiet and big enough to be quite an enjoyable sit back TV experience for watching movies. There are similar PCs. I don't get the impression you watch a lot of TV, but either way a USB TV tuner makes your new computer a TV set for over the air/cable easy enough. Kinda surprised Apple hasn't just built that in, or maybe they have, haven't paid much attention to their computers.

A lot of it comes down to how you use the computer now. Me, I like having my computer in my den of gadgets and my TV in the other room same as ever - though even there I have it hooked to a computer which feeds it an increasing percentage of the content I watch. Who needs a DVD or Blu-Ray player stacked on top of other toys if a computer will do the role of a few devices?

If you can move some furniture around, throw out (sorry Jenna, recycle) an old TV and computer and whatever one of them was sitting on, and have a great experience with one device, then a pricier computer gets cheaper quick. Eliminating duplicate devices saves floorspace and we pay a lot for the space we live in. Gadget clutter is something I'm terrible about, so just throwing that out as a perspective in your buying decision. If you already don't have a TV, skip the above text. Wait, would have been more useful to say skip the below...well, common flaw for me.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Macs are terrible, they don't let you enjoy the fun of millions of viruses, worms, malware, and back doors on the internet like a PC.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    The only thing I don't like about my PC is Windows Vista. I hate it. I'd like to try Windows 7.
    My laptop came with Win 7, and I like it. What I miss from XP, is the ability to choose what photos to import from a camera or memory card. With both Vista and 7, it's all or nothing
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    If you already don't have a TV, skip the above text. Wait, would have been more useful to say skip the below...well, common flaw for me.
    Now that would have been a Mac-like approach....

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

And this from someone with "Mac" in his username....

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I'm using a PC, but I'm thinking of switching to a Mac because I read that the Mac OS is less prone to viruses and crashes than Windows. What do you all think? Which is better, Mac or PC?
    MAC's are different, I have one for over 6 months now and I have gotten somewhat used to it. I've used a PC for years and miss all the short cuts, yea MAC has them too but now I have to figure them all out. The word processing is different too, called Pages. So if you do decide to change keep that in mind, you can buy a package that still used Word or WordPerfect, Excel and maybe Access. I did transfer all my documents from my PC and can view them in Pages. In my opinion Word was much better, probably because I was more familiar with it. They say Pages is a more simpler approach, more user friendly, but I am not such a friendly user. Luckily I do not have to do many documents. Other subtle differences in commands like copy and paste, only on web pages, and is just a minor annoyance.

Yes MAC may cost a bit more, but when you take in to consideration NOT having to buy Virus Protection and other ware programs it probably evens out. I do find the MAC starts right up, less rubbish while running, rarely if ever, gets hung up.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Macs are terrible, they don't let you enjoy the fun of millions of viruses, worms, malware, and back doors on the internet like a PC. With a Mac you will loose all of your command line skills since you don't need them anymore. PC's will enrich your vocabulary with many new and useful words that sailors like when things go as they usually do. Macs will cause you to waste more time since being at the computer doesn't seem like work anymore and last but far from least, Macs are so two faced that you can run either the Mac OS or Windows and both function as well as they do on the native machines.

That is great, well put!

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

One thing about software and the MS Word, Excel, suite. Look into a freeware set called Open Office. It reads Word files and is available in many platforms.

It's pretty impressive and even more so since it's free.

why: Why OpenOffice.org

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I use Open Office on my PC and love it. I've had some compatibility issues with PowerPoints that were created before in MS but so far it's not bad. Beats paying for MS Office.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If your employer uses Office, you can buy the whole suite for home use for $30 from Microsoft.

Ask your IT people about the "Home Use" program.

All the sudden, using the real deal becomes easier.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    If your employer uses Office, you can buy the whole suite for home use for $30 from Microsoft.

Ask your IT people about the "Home Use" program.

All the sudden, using the real deal becomes easier.
    That sounds interesting! I would pay $30 for Office.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I still have to do some more research, but I think I'm leaning toward the Mac just because of its reputation for being virus-resistant and crash-resistant.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I still have to do some more research, but I think I'm leaning toward the Mac just because of its reputation for being virus-resistant and crash-resistant.
    If I can help let me know, I'll see if I can still fit my consultant hat.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Macs are just as prone to viruses as a PC, I've seen it far to many times. Macs are good if you are into graphic design, PCs are good if your into gaming other than those two differences they're the same animal.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    this is not true, they get viruses and crash the same as a PC. buy a pc and get virus protection and save yourself about $500
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Thread Information