Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

There's an App For That

There's now an app for feminine hygiene thanks to Apple's just released digital tampon the iPad.

Seriously though,

* No ability to play Adobe Flash animations, widely used on the Web.
    * No camera, still or video
    * No non-Internet phone function
    * Unclear whether you can bundle your AT&T iPhone plan with an iPad data plan
    * No removable battery for a device that can suck a lot of power
    * No removable storage
    Only Apple could overcharge $499 for crippled hardware and people would buy it.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

I thought you made up the word "iPad" until I googled it! Truth is stranger than parody!

APA
    APA is offline Insomniac
    Verified LEO
    It looks kinda like those things they used in Star Trek, but not quite as cool.
    Going back to night shift sucks!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I could see paying $200 but $499 when you can't even multitask awful.

8 Things That Suck About the iPad - apple ipad - Gizmodo

No HDMI Out
    Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.
    The Name iPad
    Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!
    No Flash
    No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.
    Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
    So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.
    Update: Why stop at 8? Here are more things we are discovering that suck about the iPad.
    It's Not Widescreen
    Widescreen movies look lousy on this thing thanks to its 4:3 screen, according to Blam, who checked out some of Star Trek on one. It's like owning a 4:3 TV all over again!

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Sure it is made by Apple and not Kotex? Do you think the next version will be called Maxi iPad.

Must have only males on the committee who decided on that name. But then again iKindle+ was out of the question!

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sounds like your average Blackberry may have more functionality.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Whats the point of it?
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn2009 View Post
    Whats the point of it?
    Apple thinks it is going to kill the netbook. You know the laptops that have networking built in, faster processors, the ability to multitask, easy to type on, with all the normal connectors, for half the price.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Just a larger version of the iphone......imagine putting that to the side of your face to make a call............;-)
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Just a larger version of the iphone......imagine putting that to the side of your face to make a call............;-)
    It doesn't make calls. Unless Apple approves a VOIP app.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Changed my mind, I'm recommending this iProduct far and wide! Don't buy one. Really. This isn't subliminal advertising. It's hard to type under your breath is all.

"Why?" you ask? And what's this about changing your mind? Darn, failed to post an iFlop note of my own when this thread was new

As much as I think this is a beautiful, revolutionary, magical stupid overgrown iPod Touch device, my decision to support it is simply the enemy of my enemy reasoning. Flash video needs to GTFO, and while the iPhone wasn't much of a lever for prying it off the web, there seems to be some momentum gaining for HTML 5 that aligns nicely with all this pad jibber jabber. To borrow from another trite phrase, HTML 5 may be the devil we don't know - but the one we know is rubbish.

So, join me in recommending the iPad to friends and family alike. Just not ones you actually like

Bit that was holding my support of HTML 5 video back was this OGG video format nonsense. Sorry OGG fans, your audio compression is great, but useless in the real world. I'm all for community developed royalty free software, but not if it doesn't work with anything.

So it was with interest I read this morning :

Web video gets H.264 royalty reprieve

In a decision that deprives open-source foes of some rhetorical fodder, the group that licenses patents for the widely used H.264 video-encoding technology chose to renew a streaming-media freebie through 2015.

MPEG LA licenses more than 1,000 H.264-related patents on behalf of 26 companies that hold the patents. The group's existing policy, which runs through the end of 2010, has been not to charge royalties to Internet sites that streamed video using the technology--as long as the video was free for viewers.

Many have been waiting to hear what MPEG LA would announce for the licensing terms beyond 2010. On Tuesday, the group said it extended the free-streaming policy until December 31, 2015.

Not sure what the actual consequence of that is, if any. The psychological consequence as it affects the Flash vs HTML 5 video is the part I'm tuning in for. May be tea leaf reading in the manner of those deciding Apple and Google have gone to war because Google enabled multitouch on the Nexus I. In this case it's one minor indicator and welcome support along the path of freeing our CPUs. If the wallets of Apple fanbois become cannon fodder in the Flash/HTML5 war, well...all the better!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn2009 View Post
    Whats the point of it?
    Ah, now I see.
    It's a $500 cat toy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9NP-AeKX40]YouTube - iggy investigates an ipad[/ame]

4 Turns is offline Rookie
    The ladies would walk kind of bow-legged with that thing between their legs. Doesn't look very absorbent, either.

Thread Information