Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

FCC plans to bring 90% of Americans high-speed internet access at home by 2020

The commission plans to use educational programs and an expansion of broadband Internet infrastructure to give 90 percent of Americans high-speed Internet access at home by 2020.
    Currently, only 65 percent of Americans have high-speed Internet access at home, which the FCC says is a detriment to economic growth. The proposal will make the U.S. "the world's largest market of high-speed broadband users" and will create jobs, the FCC says in a news release.
    The plan would also lower health care costs and improve home energy efficiency by making information available digitally, the FCC says.
    More here: FCC releases some details of its broadband plan - CNN.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The FCC is precisely the reason we do *not* have the saturation we should have.

Reduce health care costs? Horseshit.

I certainly don't attend any hospital that does not already have high speed access already, and in any rural hospital I don't think access to information is going to impact costs much.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    What Mac said.

Also, what's "high-speed"? They say 100megabits to 100million households (and a chicken in every pot), but if the real world speed is 30kB/s are they going to claim victory? And what filtering will come with this?

I'm from the government and I'm here to help...you get on the internet.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I have a T-1 at home, Our school has a T-3 line, In 2001 when I 1st had internet put into my home I lived in Korea. I had a T-1 line then. Here T-1 at home is just coming out. So to say that the U.S. will be the worlds largest market for High-Speed internet is Bull-Shit!!!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Nobody should pay for a T-1, cable can deliver faster speeds at less expense.

The issue is the way the FCC has regulated the industry. Other nations have greater speed and saturation because they don't regulate the fuck out of the distributors.

The "franchise" system here in the United States is the death of high speed. I have *one* cable company to choose from. Where is their incentive to go faster?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Bend over, they lie again. The goal is Federal control, content control, monitoring, more secret lists, licensing and a tax revenue source. Same bullshit as "health care" , "global warming", "jobs", .............. more employment for "progressive" lawyers is the only sure thing.

"....FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski framed the plan as a boost for the economy.
    "The National Broadband Plan is a 21st century roadmap to spur economic growth and investment, create jobs, educate our children, protect our citizens, and engage in our democracy," he said in an FCC news release...."

Does anyone doubt the wonderful govt connection will include a 2-way circuit into your home? To monitor your inside temperature, electrical use, your online banking, your speech, direct your children to "correct" sites, etc. "Protect our citizens" - yeah. "Engage in our democracy" - yeah sure. Like Mugabe and Stalin they will 'harmonize' elections as long as they count the votes.

More lies.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Old topic, but I'm old, so saw this related topic from across the pond and thought some might be interested.

Even gov't knows: 2Mbps broadband is "pitifully unambitious"

The Right Honourable Jeremy Hunt MP, newly installed Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport, has a few thoughts on the ambitions of UK broadband: "pitifully unambitious." In his first major policy speech today, Hunt opened by praising his wife for "having our baby two weeks early" so he had time to work on media policy. He then name-checked Karl Popper and Thomas Paine. <-- Eh? -Ed

Finally, it was time to talk broadband. The UK wants a universal service requirement of 2Mbps to every household, and Hunt is incensed by the smallness of the idea.

"Singapore wants universal access to superfast broadband by 2012, by which time Korea plans to have provided one million homes with 1 gigabit per second connections—a speed which can download a two hour film in just 12 seconds," he thundered. "But in this country, the legacy was—in the same timescale—a commitment to a paltry 2Mbps universal connection. Necessary, of course, but pitifully unambitious compared to a Korean goal 500 times faster. It is a scandal that nearly 3 million households in this country still cannot access 2Mbps broadband speeds, and less than 1 percent of the country is able to access the internet using modern fibre optic technology—compared to an OECD average of around 10 percent."

Many of the same criticisms could be leveled at the US National Broadband Plan, which makes no serious effort to achieve world-class speeds. 100 million homes with 100Mbps service by 2020? It will happen anyway, thanks to DOCSIS 3.0 and Verizon's FiOS, and should happen within a few years. 4Mbps universal service? Not fast even now, this speed will be pitiful by its 2020 target date.

These are mere minimums, of course; many people will get far faster speeds. But countries like Korea, Singapore, Japan, New Zealand, and Australia all have significant government support in place for broad-based fiber-deployment, and they have aggressive speed targets.

Hunt pledges to aim higher, to make the UK's broadband system one that "will stand comparison with anywhere in the world" and that brings "superfast" speeds, even to rural areas, though he's sticking with his 2Mbps baseline target for now.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Old topic, but I'm old, so saw this related topic from across the pond and thought some might be interested.

Even gov't knows: 2Mbps broadband is "pitifully unambitious"

The Right Honourable Jeremy Hunt MP, newly installed Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport, has a few thoughts on the ambitions of UK broadband: "pitifully unambitious." In his first major policy speech today, Hunt opened by praising his wife for "having our baby two weeks early" so he had time to work on media policy. He then name-checked Karl Popper and Thomas Paine. <-- Eh? -Ed

Finally, it was time to talk broadband. The UK wants a universal service requirement of 2Mbps to every household, and Hunt is incensed by the smallness of the idea.

"Singapore wants universal access to superfast broadband by 2012, by which time Korea plans to have provided one million homes with 1 gigabit per second connections—a speed which can download a two hour film in just 12 seconds," he thundered. "But in this country, the legacy was—in the same timescale—a commitment to a paltry 2Mbps universal connection. Necessary, of course, but pitifully unambitious compared to a Korean goal 500 times faster. It is a scandal that nearly 3 million households in this country still cannot access 2Mbps broadband speeds, and less than 1 percent of the country is able to access the internet using modern fibre optic technology—compared to an OECD average of around 10 percent."

Many of the same criticisms could be leveled at the US National Broadband Plan, which makes no serious effort to achieve world-class speeds. 100 million homes with 100Mbps service by 2020? It will happen anyway, thanks to DOCSIS 3.0 and Verizon's FiOS, and should happen within a few years. 4Mbps universal service? Not fast even now, this speed will be pitiful by its 2020 target date.

These are mere minimums, of course; many people will get far faster speeds. But countries like Korea, Singapore, Japan, New Zealand, and Australia all have significant government support in place for broad-based fiber-deployment, and they have aggressive speed targets.

Hunt pledges to aim higher, to make the UK's broadband system one that "will stand comparison with anywhere in the world" and that brings "superfast" speeds, even to rural areas, though he's sticking with his 2Mbps baseline target for now.
    Yeah, I work for a cable company and we are launching DOCSIS 3.0 this year, which will initially bring 60meg service, with a theoretical throughput of 120. Thing is, our markets with 60 already, and where I work with 25, the demand isn't really there. Most people are happy with the 8 and 16m levels. Hell I get my stuff discounted/free and I don't have 25. I don't see the need.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Thread Information