Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Android Discussion

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    How'd you do it? Through IT? Third Party app like Touchdown? I really don't want to forward.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Go to the email icon and click it.

Click add new account after hitting the menu key below the screen.

Enter the email address of the account you are syncing followed by your password.
    You can then choose if this is your default account for sending email

Go to your IT guys and find out what your domain name for the email server is, then forward slash your user name.

Enter your password in the next feild.

Then also get your Server info from IT for the next field.

Click "Use secure connection (SSL)"

I have had zero problems out of this. I can actually check email faster from my Droid than at a terminal at the office. I have mine set to check for email every 5 min. It also has its own notification tone so I know which email account I just got an email in. If that doesn't get you up and running I'll give you a call and see if we can't do it over the phone.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    I have been looking at the new X and the incredible. I think I am staying with incredible. My incredible is due to ship out tomorrow. From what I read about the X there is not much I will be gaining. I really don't like the size of the thing. I am still going to use my 30 days to try the incredible and physically get my hands on the new X before I make a final decision.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Do make sure you get that push to talk app 121 mentioned. I have been using it with guys at work. It could benefit us here in a pinch.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

I'll be grooving Froyo in a week or two I suspect. They are already working on it according to Twitter.

CyanogenMod Targeting Eight Devices for Android 2.2 | Android Phone Fans

CyanogenMod 6 will be built up from the Android 2.2 source code and initial plans are to target eight devices according to founder Steve Kondik. Their sites seem firmly set on mostly HTC handsets for the time being, though the Motorola Droid makes the list as well. The full group:

* Nexus One
    * HTC Desire
    * HTC G1 (Dream)
    * HTC myTouch 3G (Magic)
    * HTC myTouch 3G Slide
    * HTC EVO 4G
    * HTC Hero (CDMA version)
    * Motorola Droid
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Thanks, Five-0. I think my problem is lying in my domain name. I've heard that I can bypass IT (who are a bunch of dicks at my city) and get my domain name by Ctrl+Alt+Del'ing my computer to lock it, then pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del again to view the domain name I'm logged in under. I'm going to give that a shot tongiht when I go in.

Reca, I am REALLY enjoying the Incredible. The OS is blazing fast (coming from a BB obviously), and seems to me to be nearly flawless. I'm sure it will only get better with the upgrade to 2.2 in a couple weeks. There are a few things I will ultimately be jealous of on the Droid X. The big screen is beautiful obviously, and from what I can tell Motorola has been building rock-solid devices in terms of build quality. The HTC's in comparison feel more plasticky and, well, phone-like. But, I'm a big fan of protective cases and clips (specifically the Seidio Innocase 2) over plain pocket carry. The Droid X is already huge and I can't imagine it with a case on it.

Two other big draws to me are the HDMI output and the 720p video recording. Those sound really cool, but the more I think about it, the more those seem like they would be "gee whiz!" features more than anything I would actually need or use. For me anyways. Besides, the Incredible takes pretty damn good video. Here's a clip from EVOC yesterday I took while getting thrown around while my buddy was scrubbing tires around the track during a practice run. YouTube doesn't do it justice...it looks much better natively. No choppiness and less pixelation.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm68zh2VRqA]YouTube - VIDEO0002.3gp[/ame]
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It's actually a pretty high quality YouTube video too. When you figure how bad most of their crap looks like coming from camera phones that's astounding.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Oh man, the future of Android is off the hook.

This particular rumored device is rumored to being coming to T-Mo. Regardless about this specific device, these are the kinds of specs we'll be seeing over the next year.

The device in question would have a 4.3-inch touchscreen, an 800MHz dual-core processor, Android 3.0, an 8-megapixel camera, and more. The device would be called the HTC Vision and it’s believed that this will almost certainly be what everyone’s referring to as “Project Emerald”.
    http://phandroid.com/2010/06/25/dual...-mo-this-year/

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Not happy today. My phone was due to ship today and I called and they said it did not ship. That means it SHOULD ship on Monday now. grrr

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I wonder if it's still back ordered. You should ask if it's even in stock and available to ship.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Go to the email icon and click it.

Click add new account after hitting the menu key below the screen.

Enter the email address of the account you are syncing followed by your password.
    You can then choose if this is your default account for sending email

Go to your IT guys and find out what your domain name for the email server is, then forward slash your user name.

Enter your password in the next feild.

Then also get your Server info from IT for the next field.

Click "Use secure connection (SSL)"

I have had zero problems out of this. I can actually check email faster from my Droid than at a terminal at the office. I have mine set to check for email every 5 min. It also has its own notification tone so I know which email account I just got an email in. If that doesn't get you up and running I'll give you a call and see if we can't do it over the phone.

Unfortunately our IT is a bunch of pricks and unless it's a city phone, they won't help you set it up. With BB it was easy enough. With the Droid, I had to hunt for the right settings. I got it working now. Turns out I had the wrong domain name due to a typo. Just took a minute or two of rechecking my work to figure it out. Thanks for the help all!

Here's a good link Xiphos sent.
    Android Support - Microsoft® Exchange Corporate Email - Motorola USA

And here's one that will explain how to get all of your exchange settings (server, domain, etc) if your IT is a bunch of non-helpful idiots like mine.
    DocID: 13629 - What are my Exchange Server settings?

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We need to go through this thread and scrap the non informatonal posts. Eleven pages with some really good info cluttered with some non issue posts.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    HTC running low on AMOLED stock, will add SLCD to the mix for some models -- Engadget

AMOLED displays in phones haven't necessarily lived up to their promise; they'd been billed as the be-all, end-all answer for clarity, vibrance, and low power consumption, but in reality, the latest and greatest LCDs look just as good, offer similar viewing angles, have little to no impact on battery life, and fare far better in direct sunlight. We've been able to confirm this evening that HTC will be adding an additional supplier of displays later this year -- Sony -- which will be delivering its Super TFT LCD tech as a mobile exclusive (initially, at least) to key HTC handsets, some of which are already in the marketplace.

Specifically, Samsung's had a devil of a time keeping up with deliveries of its 3.7-inch WVGA AMOLED display, which means that the Desire, Droid Incredible, and Nexus One could all theoretically be impacted -- but because this is a problem of the demand for displays outstripping supply (or at least the supply that Samsung is letting HTC buy), at least some of the affected phones will likely be offered both in AMOLED and SLCD varieties. How those products will be differentiated in the market is unclear, but it may not matter much -- we're told that the displays are virtually indistinguishable. We're working to get our hands on an SLCD phone just as soon as we can, and when we do, we'll put our eyeballs on the case.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Android And Me RSS Widget Android Network Awards
    HTC switching to Sony Super TFT LCDs from Samsung AMOLEDs

Don’t expect to find an AMOLED display on your next smartphone, unless you plan on buying a Samsung device. A new report from The Korea Herald states that HTC will be forced to remove the AMOLED displays found in several of their popular Android phones including the Nexus One, Desire, and Incredible.
    Samsung Mobile Display controls 98 percent of the global AMOLED display market and they are keeping the displays in house to go towards their Samsung Galaxy S line of phones. Analysts expect that Samsung will sell 10 to 15 million units of the Galaxy S, which could move them ahead of HTC in global smartphone market share.

HTC switching to Sony Super TFT LCDs from Samsung AMOLEDs – Android and Me

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Samsung makes the screens for HTC and is apparently hoarding the screens for their own Galaxy line of phones.

The EVO is suffering screen quality when compared side by side with the original.

The type of screens coming out for the Incredible and the Desire are supposed to be equal in quality with no discernible difference. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are planning on getting an EVO.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if you will be able to tell if it is not the amoled screen when you get it? I hope it says on the box because that will be one way to ditch the phone if I want one of the new droids coming out

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sounds to me like there is a business opportunity for a Sony investor.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    I wonder if you will be able to tell if it is not the amoled screen when you get it? I hope it says on the box because that will be one way to ditch the phone if I want one of the new droids coming out
    Read the article I posted above. The replacement for the AMOLED on your phone should be identical quality wise.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information