Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Android Discussion

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    This is a huge personal preference issue. I don't mind the on screen keyboard especially with Swype. Go to the store and play with the display models. See what you like best. I think the keyboards are less popular because the on screen models work so well with large screens.

That's what I'm thinking. Those without keyboard have raved about the on-screen keyboard so I'm less worried about it.

From your experience, do you run into many accidental selections when using the touchscreen? For example, if you're selecting people to text, do you find that you may add someone you don't intend by scrolling through contacts?
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My biggest problem is misspelled words from thumb typing. The auto complete is nice though.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I *hate* my onscreen keyboard. I hit the wrong contacts, spell shit wrong, etc. I only use it for quick stuff, otherwise I flip out the keyboard.

On the lighter side, 2.2 rocks.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Did you notice an improvement in performance going to 2.2? There should be a significant improvement with the JIT compiler.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If your contract expires sometime before the end of the year (including New Year’s eve) and you’ve been eying the Motorola Droid 2, you’re in luck: Verizon’s offering the device at the normal upgrade price for anyone with less than half a year left on their current contract.
    Once Again, Verizon’s Offering Early Upgrades to the Droid 2 | Android Phone Fans

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    I love my on-screen keypad. I think that auto correct works very well. I also like that I have 7 home screens. I use one for contacts that i use most. Never ever had a problem selecting the wrong contact.

*posted from my Droid incredible.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Did you notice an improvement in performance going to 2.2? There should be a significant improvement with the JIT compiler.
    Yes, it's faster.

I also have flash capability as well as five screens, and the damn thing will work as a portable hot spot or tethered modem.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    For those not on 2.2 yet, root your phone and use it as a wireless hot spot: Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

CO1259 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I got the Droid with the slide out keyboard for the same reasons you stated Pudge. I used it for all of 2 days, and now I'm just using the screen. It takes a little getting used to, but it's much easier. Especially if you turn the phone horizontal, as the buttons get larger.

All in all, I've had this for a little over a month. I love it. My only gripe is that they came out with 3 new ones in that short of a time. And I got the keyboard, which is useless extra weight.

CO1259 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Can I download the 2.2 update for the Droid with the keyboard? Not sure which model it is that I got.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Still waiting on my 2.2 update.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    2.2 is rolling out for the Verizon Droid and you don't need to do anything to get it. You will get a notification and instructions on your phone when it's ready. It doesn't roll out to all phones at once, if there is a problem that would slam their call center. I suspect in a week or two everyone will be upgraded.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'll add that you can manually update your phone. If you ask how you shouldn't because you don't have the hacking skills you need and may brick it. Just be patient a few more days.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Oh I've read how to do it manually, but I'm not sweating it that much.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CO1259 View Post
    Can I download the 2.2 update for the Droid with the keyboard? Not sure which model it is that I got.
    You can do it, and it is fairly simple - but if you are not a tech person just wait. You'll get pinged to do the update over the air inside of a week.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Paypal in talks with Google to offer a payment method in the Android Market:

Soon You Can Pay For Android Apps With PayPal

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm getting closer....

I'm at a constant back and forth between the DX and the Dinc. It's going to end up coming down to physically trying each one. I like that the X comes with a 16 gig card, but not so sold on the size until I check it out.

A question though. I've heard rave reviews of HTC's Sense UI, and less than stellar remarks about Motorola's UI. It depends on the review I've seemed. Thoughts from those who have been there?

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There are some reviews out there of the Droid 2. Droid 2 review -- Engadget It's essentially a Droid with more polish (i.e. they fixed the stuff everyone complained about with the Droid without introducing any real new technology.) The screen is the same too. The Droid X is a big leap forward.

Something to consider if you don't need it right now, is the Samsung Fascinate coming out this fall on Verizon. DROID X vs. Samsung Fascinate | Wirefly Learn

I have the T-Mo version of the phone and it is insanely beautiful and fast. The Super AMOLED screen is stunning.

Samsung has its TouchWiz interface on it which is like what Motorola and HTC have done. They are a UI that sits on top of Android and generally just mucks up the performance. None of them are worth the performance hassles and stock Android is the way to go.

To get stock Android you will need to do some simple hacking which Motorola is doing their damndest to keep you from doing. Right now any attempt to load a custom ROM on a Droid X will intentionally brick the phone and keep you from using it. Developers are making progress but even if it is ever hackable it will be dangerous.

Samsung on the other hand is very friendly towards the mod community and this phone is about as simple as it gets. It's about bullet proof, you'd have to try pretty hard to brick it. I had it rooted on the second boot up and getting the ROM Manager and Recovery on it was as simple as downloading an app from the market. When a stock Android ROM comes out (Cyanogen, Froyo 2.2) I'll have it loaded up and firing away in minutes.

The other great thing about the Samsung is the 4 inch screen. It's a great sweet spot between the 3.7 inch screens and the monster 4.3 on the Droid X. The phone is light and thin and fits nicely in my pants pocket even with a gel skin on it.

The gist of this is the Samsung phone coming to Verizon will likely be easy to remove the crap UI and it is a nice size, with major, super phone performance.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    There are some reviews out there of the Droid 2. Droid 2 review -- Engadget It's essentially a Droid with more polish (i.e. they fixed the stuff everyone complained about with the Droid without introducing any real new technology.) The screen is the same too. The Droid X is a big leap forward.

Something to consider if you don't need it right now, is the Samsung Fascinate coming out this fall on Verizon. DROID X vs. Samsung Fascinate | Wirefly Learn

I have the T-Mo version of the phone and it is insanely beautiful and fast. The Super AMOLED screen is stunning.

Samsung has its TouchWiz interface on it which is like what Motorola and HTC have done. They are a UI that sits on top of Android and generally just mucks up the performance. None of them are worth the performance hassles and stock Android is the way to go.

To get stock Android you will need to do some simple hacking which Motorola is doing their damndest to keep you from doing. Right now any attempt to load a custom ROM on a Droid X will intentionally brick the phone and keep you from using it. Developers are making progress but even if it is ever hackable it will be dangerous.

Samsung on the other hand is very friendly towards the mod community and this phone is about as simple as it gets. It's about bullet proof, you'd have to try pretty hard to brick it. I had it rooted on the second boot up and getting the ROM Manager and Recovery on it was as simple as downloading an app from the market. When a stock Android ROM comes out (Cyanogen, Froyo 2.2) I'll have it loaded up and firing away in minutes.

The other great thing about the Samsung is the 4 inch screen. It's a great sweet spot between the 3.7 inch screens and the monster 4.3 on the Droid X. The phone is light and thin and fits nicely in my pants pocket even with a gel skin on it.

The gist of this is the Samsung phone coming to Verizon will likely be easy to remove the crap UI and it is a nice size, with major, super phone performance.

Motorola's unwillingness to allow open access is one strike against it. HTC does seem to be a bit more open. I don't know if I'm brave or savvy enough to get into rooting my device, so at the start I'll want something that's ahead of the curve, yet will allow me to go further if I get the guts.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Motorola's unwillingness to allow open access is one strike against it. HTC does seem to be a bit more open. I don't know if I'm brave or savvy enough to get into rooting my device, so at the start I'll want something that's ahead of the curve, yet will allow me to go further if I get the guts.
    If you can wait, the Fascinate will work for you. When you get brave enough to try, it's very forgiving and easy.

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information