Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Android Discussion

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Drool. My one complaint about the Incredible is the chintzy build quality of the battery door. The look of that phone is nice.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    MANUAL UPDATE OF DROID INCREDIBLE TO FROYO 2.2 NOW AVAILABE, DIRECT FROM GOOGLE!!!

Manually Update DROID Incredible to Android 2.2 | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Did it while working an OT detail today. Native stuff seems to be fine, but a lot of my third party apps started to force close. Not a big deal, it gave me a chance to clean stuff out I didn't want, and I just reinstalled the ones I did want. The update took about 15 minutes, and tweaking the apps took another 15. I'm not sure if there is a way to save settings, bookmarks, etc. I'm assuming there is, but I didn't do it, so I'm having to redo all my settings. Still worth it though. The Incredible was already fast. Now it blazes. Update All in Market, 270 degree screen rotation, and 720P video recording FTW!

More updates as I play with it more.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Anytime you switch ROMs your apps will likely force close or need reinstallation. If you are rooted you can use ROM Manager or a custom recovery with "fix permissions" script. That generally fixes the apps. I use Titanium Backup which will restore the apps and settings.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Xiphos, I had no idea. Where the F were you a couple hours ago?

J/K I had no idea, but it wasn't that big a deal. so far, so good with 2.2. Loving it!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    Xiphos, I had no idea. Where the F were you a couple hours ago?

J/K I had no idea, but it wasn't that big a deal. so far, so good with 2.2. Loving it!
    Shoulda asked. It's not like it's a secret I'm an Android geek or anything.

I actually like doing the Factory Wipe as it clears out all the caches and resets everything. First thing I do when I sign on is install Titanium Backup. It sees the backup folder and I can restore all the apps and settings.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

APB Guest
    I don't have time to read through the whole thread here, apologies if this is a repeat.

I recently started using "Tasker", and it's an amazing app. It allows you to automate a TON of stuff.

Here are just some of the things I've automated with this thing:

1. When I open "Car Mode Custom" (another free app which turns your home screen into a customizable display with 8 large icons for use in the car), the display does not time out, the GPS and Bluetooth are turned on automatically, and the phone reads any incoming texts out loud.

2. I also have set it up so that whenever I am within 30 meters of my house (GPS fix), it turns on my WiFi, and turns off Bluetooth.

3. Based on the instructions in the Lifehacker.com article here, I have it set up so that if I text my phone from my wife's phone with the phrase "SOS", a message pops up on screen and a sound plays on my phone saying "Help, I'm stolen or have been left behind, please call (wife's number)"... AND then texts my wife back with the exact GPS coordinates where my phone is located after automatically turning GPS on.

4. When I place the phone face-down on the nightstand (or anywhere), the phone automatically goes into Silent mode, EXCEPT if certain people on a list I created call, then it makes it ring loudly (emergencies).

Basically, this thing is awesome, and the sky's the limit. You can have it make the speaker volume change when your really loud friend calls... basically do almost anything. Here's a link with some more instructions/tutorials, you can get Tasker from the Market.

Push Your Automated Android to Awesome Heights with These Tasker Setups

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Just got the Flash update pushed to the Droid the other day. Got it installed!
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If verizon will ever stop talking shit and get service here I would seriously consider changing. As usual we must not rank high enough on the agenda.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    All the major carriers carry Android phones. AT&T is selling the Captivate now and you can get it pretty cheap on Amazon with a renewed contract.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Really. Hmm. I'll definitely be looking into that. Now if ATT service didn't suck so much.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Really. Hmm. I'll definitely be looking into that. Now if ATT service didn't suck so much.
    Can't help you there but I can tell you all about the phones ...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Verizon folks, the Samsung Fascinate is being released September 9.

One of Samsung’s commercials for the Samsung Fascinate on Verizon got a quick change in visuals, today, as the once “Coming Soon” product is now “available Sept. 9 at Verizon”. The slightly new ad – which had already been running without a pegged date for a few days now – was spotted by Phonedog and it doesn’t give us any reason to call foul. Many leaks, rumors, and evidence led up to a launch this Thursday, but nothing could be confirmed. We’re still waiting on Verizon and/or Samsung’s official press release to put the final nail into this coffin (or, more appropriately, to put the last drip of frosting onto this delicious-looking cake), but you can start making plans to take off from work later this week.
    Official: Samsung Fascinate Due September 9th | Android Phone Fans

This is the Verizon variant of the Galaxy S. It's got a screaming processor, tons of RAM, a Super AMOLED 4" screen with the famous Gorilla Glass. Samsung is very hacker friendly and this phone is about impossible to brick. If you are the least bit interested in running third party ROMs this is the phone to get if you are on Verizon.

Mark7 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Just saw this bumper sticker at AC

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Verizon scoop extravaganza: Motorola Venus with portrait QWERTY, Stingray LTE tablet, and more? -- Engadget

Leaked roadmap for Big Red for the rest of the year. No mention of the super sexy Evo-ish style device, but Verizon will have a version of the Desire Z with a slider.

In getting all of these devices in my hands and messing with them, I've become a screen size fan. If my phone isn't coming out soon, I may just buy a Droid X. I'll admit that the Fascinate is a sexy beast, but I've not had any luck with a Samsung device, and wtf is up with Android devices coming default with Bing?!?
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Just got a LG Ally (Verizon). So far -- like it a lot. Slide out keyboard is fairly functional. The touch screen took some getting used to, but I'm getting the hang of it. The holster that came with it sucks, in my opinion... but for only $29.99 (plus tax), I got one that included a shell rotatable clip. (Similar to the Otterbox for Blackberry)

Haven't gone through the thread entire; any hot apps I should get? Especially free!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Haven't gone through the thread entire; any hot apps I should get? Especially free!
    Check out this thread for app info: http://apbweb.com/forums/media-cente...-market-42182/

Enjoy your phone!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    $150.00 with an upgrade and 2 year contract for a Captivate. Looks like I'm an iPhone user for just a while longer.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    Finally joined the Android movement. I have T-Monbile and have been going back and forth between the Samsung Vibrant and the about to be released HTC T-Mobile myTouch 4G. Woke up yesterday morning and saw that Best Buy had the Samsung Vibrant for free as part of their "Free Phone Fridays" deal, as long as you have a qualifying upgrade. Went in, upgraded, and walked out with the phone for free. Been playing with it this morning and so far I love it. I have installed a few apps and started figuring out how things work.

Coming to Android as a die hard Blackberry user has taken a little bit of a learning curve. I was the BB master and could answer just about any question about the BB and how they work. I was just so tired of not having good apps. I am a cell phone geek and use mine all the time. It seemed like anyone that was making apps now was only doing it for Android and the iPhone. I was not ditching T-Mobile for AT&T so Android is where I went. So far, I am happy with my switch.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread Information