Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Android Discussion

Ace
    Ace is offline haud pacis pro scelestus
    Verified LEO
    Yeah I'm really liking it so far, except I somehow deleted all of my contacts after they were transferred from my old phone. It's kinda funny though, now that I have it I don't know how I survived without it.
    RIP Sarah Noll~11-8-87 to 4-17-08

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Get it all into the Gmail account you use for the phone. You'll always sync up to your phone.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Yeah I just set up a gmail account today. Do you have AT&T up there?

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Just rooted my Droid X2 using Gingerbreak. Promptly re-installed Wireless Tether, CPU Tuner, and TiBackup. Deleted all the bloatware. Not a huge custom ROM guy thus far, but I might give it a whirl here. While I love the phone's performance and form factor, I HATE HATE HATE Moto Blur. I turned on my Incredible today to check something and was reminded how I really miss HTC SenseUI and its widgets and camera app.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Getting rid of bloatware is a great reason to root!

Those additional UI's just take up resources and often bog down the phone. In the case of Motoblur, uglify it too. I love Cyanogen's AOSP build with straight up, clean, Google.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Building up the courage to root mine so that I can get rid of the crap I don't use and don't want but can't delete...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Ok, so I just joined the Launcher Pro wagon. It. Is. AWESOME.

It's much smoother than that MotoBlur crap, and much more customizable. Plus, I've been able to download some HTC widget copies that I miss. Namely the calendar.

Love it.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Launcher Pro has a calendar widget. I don't know how it compares to HTC but it's there.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Tangential FYI :

As expected, Verizon's unlimited plan is going extinct. Tiered plans will take its place, starting at 2GB for $30 per month.

If Verizon turns this in to a Family Plan pricing structure it will work out great for many as Xiphos points out below with actual data use surveys. No word on that yet, speculation thus far. Something to watch, might be better to convince a friend to lock in and get grandfathered in to the current "unlimited" plan or instead hold off a week to get in on the the new plan as it may work out better for the family. Wish I could say. The murkiness is annoying - be aware and keep up to date if this affects you or friends, that's all.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    Just rooted my Droid X2 using Gingerbreak. Promptly re-installed Wireless Tether, CPU Tuner, and TiBackup. Deleted all the bloatware. Not a huge custom ROM guy thus far, but I might give it a whirl here. While I love the phone's performance and form factor, I HATE HATE HATE Moto Blur. I turned on my Incredible today to check something and was reminded how I really miss HTC SenseUI and its widgets and camera app.
    Don't forget AdFree!

If you do get into custom roms Titanium Backup is a must have. I've learned a new trick though.

Don't do anything without ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do Nandroid backups which will backup everything except the kernel. I just upgraded from CyanogenMod 7 to 7.1 RC1 yesterday. I did a factory wipe/reset and then loaded the rom.

I would previously boot up, sign in, download Titanium Backup and then restore everything. Tedious.

Yesterday, after the rom installed, I went to "Advanced Restore" in the recovery and only restored the Data partition. When I booted up everything was there like nothing ever happened. Except the System was the new rom.

Fast, and easy!!!

I've tried this method the last couple rom updates and it works consistently.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Finally went to a smartphone, and having used blackberries Iphones and windows phones, decided to get the android. I love it! I got a cheaper one, the Apex, and so far no complaints.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Well, I was going to get a Droid 3, but I don't want to be locked into a 2 year contract on 3G considering Minneapolis is a 4G market. I looked at the Charge, but it's sitting on Froyo right now and won't upgrade to Gingerbread until 2012 from what I've been seeing online. Looks like I'll be waiting until August or September for the Bionic. Other than not having a physical keyboard, it looks like a winner and has a dual-core processor.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    Well, I was going to get a Droid 3, but I don't want to be locked into a 2 year contract on 3G considering Minneapolis is a 4G market. I looked at the Charge, but it's sitting on Froyo right now and won't upgrade to Gingerbread until 2012 from what I've been seeing online. Looks like I'll be waiting until August or September for the Bionic. Other than not having a physical keyboard, it looks like a winner and has a dual-core processor.
    That's a good call. I wouldn't start out with a 3G device when you are in a 4G market.

The large screen makes up a lot for the lack of a physical keyboard. My Nexus S has a 4" screen and I have very little trouble with the on screen keyboard. You aren't going to type out manifestos with your thumbs but short emails and messages are a breeze.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    That's a good call. I wouldn't start out with a 3G device when you are in a 4G market.

The large screen makes up a lot for the lack of a physical keyboard. My Nexus S has a 4" screen and I have very little trouble with the on screen keyboard. You aren't going to type out manifestos with your thumbs but short emails and messages are a breeze.

This. I went from a full qwerty keyboard on my BB Tour to no keys on my Droid X and I love it. I won't go back to a keyboard.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    US cellular has stopped doing contracts as part of the belief project...I'm wondering if that will catch on. I got to say, I am a fan.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    This. I went from a full qwerty keyboard on my BB Tour to no keys on my Droid X and I love it. I won't go back to a keyboard.
    I'm still getting used to not having a keyboard and sometimes I miss the BB, but I do love the voice activation feature on the Droid X for composing quick messages.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post

I've been using swype, I kinda like it...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I started using swype during the public beta. It's great for one handed swyping in portrait but I prefer two thumb typing in landscape. I don't know if their predictive auto correct has improved but that used to suck. It wasn't faster when you have to correct half of what you typed.

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread Information