Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Android Discussion

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Google to Buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5 Billion - Bloomberg

Google agreed to pay Motorola Mobility $2.5 billion if the deal falls through, a person familiar with the matter said. Motorola Mobility would pay $375 million if it decided not to sell to Google, the person said. Jennifer Erickson, a spokeswoman for Motorola Mobility, declined to comment on the breakup fee, as did Aaron Zamost, a spokesman at Google.
    Google making phones? This could be interesting, especially for the modding community. Google spec'd phones (Nexus One, Nexus S) are often cutting edge hardware. Motorola has been making some great phones for Android as well. Although it would be nice to see them on carriers other than Verizon.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I bought a Droid. It's lower end, the Samsung Intercept, and the main selling point is that it's got a full QWERTY as a slide. Getting it through Virgin Mobile, so it's Sprint, but at $45 a month for unlimited everything except talk, and there's 1200 minutes for that. If I want unlimited everything it's all of $55. Waiting on the number to port before I can finish activating it.

Reading this thread made my brain jump out and go hide.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    There's always something new down the pipe, isn't there? If I pass on the Bionic, the Prime (or Nexus Prime or Droid Prime depending on what rumor you hear) is supposed to be out around Thanksgiving and its specs are even more impressive than the Bionic and it's rumored to be the first phone with Ice Cream Sandwich. Decisions, decisions, decisions.......ugh
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    OK guys, help the newbie out here. I keep getting the error that android.process.acore has stopped working unexpectedly when I try and edit a contact. WTF does that mean and how can I stop it from happening?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    OK guys, help the newbie out here. I keep getting the error that android.process.acore has stopped working unexpectedly when I try and edit a contact. WTF does that mean and how can I stop it from happening?
    Take it back to the store and swap it out.

I've only seen that when monkeying with ROMs and the only solution I know involves rooting and voiding the warranty.

Just get it replaced.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Take it back to the store and swap it out.

I've only seen that when monkeying with ROMs and the only solution I know involves rooting and voiding the warranty.

Just get it replaced.
    Hell. it only started doing it after it updated from my Facebook.

Edit: I told FB to not synch with my contacts and problem solved. no big deal.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I would still exchange the phone.

As an aside, add and edit contacts in your computer in your Gmail account. It's fast and easy and automatically synchs.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I would still exchange the phone.

As an aside, add and edit contacts in your computer in your Gmail account. It's fast and easy and automatically synchs.
    My gmail account is a throwaway. I never use it.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    My gmail account is a throwaway. I never use it.
    I would get another one then. Gmail on the droid is NICE. I have been though 4 Andorids before I got one that wanted to work correctly. I have all my contacts saved to my gmail account. (over 500 contacts). Each time I got a new phone I simply synched with gmail and all my contacts were copied to my phone no problem!
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    I would get another one then. Gmail on the droid is NICE. I have been though 4 Andorids before I got one that wanted to work correctly. I have all my contacts saved to my gmail account. (over 500 contacts). Each time I got a new phone I simply synched with gmail and all my contacts were copied to my phone no problem!

This.

Don't mess with a carrier specific backup assistant or any other app to do it. Make a new gmail, put your contacts, calendar, and other goodies in there, synch and enjoy.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yeah, these guys are right. The Android phones are tightly integrated with Google services and it is a huge benefit to use.

Take your busted ass phone back to the store, and exchange it for one that works. That error is not good, something is wrong.

Sign on using a good Gmail account and use that to put all your contacts in, and start using it for email. You won't be sorry.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Yeah, these guys are right. The Android phones are tightly integrated with Google services and it is a huge benefit to use.

Take your busted ass phone back to the store, and exchange it for one that works. That error is not good, something is wrong.

Sign on using a good Gmail account and use that to put all your contacts in, and start using it for email. You won't be sorry.
    I'll do the google thing. I'm not really in a position to swap the phone for a different droid, it's complicated, but I have to stick with this model. I suspect the problem was my fault anyhow. I'm excellent at screwing up complicated electronics. I haven't had any problems since then and I've been using the hell out of it today.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You might want to do a factory reset which wipes all the data on the phone. That may fix the error. You can sign in with your good Google account. The problem is it will wipe off all the apps you've downloaded.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Mac's hit on the major issues. Stick with the CyanogenMod and you'll be fine. Mac, when 2.1 comes out he'll integrate it into his mod. I've got a lot of bits and pieces of 2.1 on my 1.6 MyTouch3G because he integrates them in his mods. He's got mods out for the G1/MT3g and the Nexus One/Droid. Running his mods is the best reason for rooting your phone.

Keep your eyes open with Verizon, they will be announcing the Nexus One and the Incredible soon. Both are high powered phones and some say the Incredible is the Nexus One "done right." Neither have a keyboard which seems to be the chief complaint of the Droid. Even folks who like the hard keyboards complain Motorola screwed it up on the Droid. So if that's not your cup of tea the Nexus One and Incredible will be the way to go. The Incredible will come with HTC's Sense which the interface they park on the Android OS. If the modders get into the Incredible (very likely with Cyanogen) you won't have to worry about Sense.

Stay away from the Eris. Mac's right, it has issues. It was recently rooted but a friend at work bricked his and it's turning out to be a sketchy process that may not work right. Verizon's selling out their stock and that'll be it for the Eris.

Absolutely Android 5 Reasons to switch to CyanogenMod 5.0.5

CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Donut tree.

CyanogenMod Forum -> Motorola Droid
    I'm thinking about rooting my LG Ally. I'm not really looking to do anything but get rid of the pre-installed crap that I never use or that I prefer a downloaded app for (like Handcent instead of the stock generic Messenger thing).

Any tips, guidance, or input.

I'm kind of hesitant about it...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers

This forum is phone specific. A lot of questions are answered there. I just haven't been brave enough to do it yet myself.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    I'm thinking about rooting my LG Ally. I'm not really looking to do anything but get rid of the pre-installed crap that I never use or that I prefer a downloaded app for (like Handcent instead of the stock generic Messenger thing).

Any tips, guidance, or input.

I'm kind of hesitant about it...
    Root it and install Titanium Backup. Titanium can remove the system apps that won't let you remove them now.

Leave the default messenger alone, just disable its notifications. Handcent or Go SMS or Chomp SMS will work just fine.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers

This forum is phone specific. A lot of questions are answered there. I just haven't been brave enough to do it yet myself.
    Yeah... I'm a little chicken myself. Gathering info and trying to build the courage, since the warranty is about up.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Anyone have any hands on time with the Bionic? Guy on a different shift here just got one, but haven't heard if he likes it or not, and he's EOW now.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Here's a review of the Bionic at Engadget. This is a technology website, not an Android site so I think you'll get a fair assessment.

Droid Bionic review -- Engadget

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Bionic has been rooted, received Recovery, and now boots CyanogenMod 7!

Motorola DROID Bionic already boots CyanogenMod 7 [Video] | Android Community

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread Information