Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Android Discussion

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I believe I'll be getting the Samsung Galaxy Nexus next month

Samsung Galaxy Nexus specs leak, headed to Verizon as an exclusive? (updated) -- Engadget
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've owned 2 Samsung Android phones. I won't ever buy one again right after release. They are often riddled with hardware problems, especially at release. I would wait a couple months, let them iron out the problems, and put out a phone that works. If you look at the help forums for the phones you'll see tons of people with hardware problems. After a couple months you'll see where folks are getting new replacements under warranty that now work correctly.

That said, the Nexus developer phones are the way to go. You'll get stock Android without the additional craptastic gui on top (Moto Blur etc.) That new Nexus is rumored to have Ice Cream Sandwich which marries the phone and tablet versions of Android.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The Samsung Vibrant came out with non functional GPS. It took minutes to get a lock, if you ever got one. It was completely unusable. Samsung attempted to release a "fix" but it didn't work. The only way I got GPS functional was to turn to the hacking/modding community. The GPS was usuable then, bust still slow.

I got the Samsung Nexus S. Ahhhh GPS finally works. But the accelerometer/compass is jacked up. Samsung has never fixed it. It also randomly loses all signal and you have to reboot it (the radio crashes.) It got bad and did it repeatedly all day long. I've stabilized it with running CyanogenMod. I don't know what Samsung did to this phone and why it was incompatible with AOSP.

I would seriously wait a couple months after a Samsung device is released before purchasing it.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I wish Motorola made Androids with GSM.

Motorola Droid RAZR: Thinnest of All. Kevlar. Splashproof. Yes.

The biggest drawback in my book is the lack of a removable battery. Not that I've replaced mine but for people who travel a lot a charged backup battery is important. I also find that with my phone hacking, the phone becomes unstable and will lock in a boot loop or other crashed "stuckness" and the only way to reboot is a manual battery pull.

(The locked bootloader sucks too but I doubt that roadblock won't remain long for hackers.)

Still though, this is one sexy beast.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I wish Motorola made Androids with GSM.

Motorola Droid RAZR: Thinnest of All. Kevlar. Splashproof. Yes.

The biggest drawback in my book is the lack of a removable battery. Not that I've replaced mine but for people who travel a lot a charged backup battery is important. I also find that with my phone hacking, the phone becomes unstable and will lock in a boot loop or other crashed "stuckness" and the only way to reboot is a manual battery pull.

(The locked bootloader sucks too but I doubt that roadblock won't remain long for hackers.)

Still though, this is one sexy beast.

WANT!!!!

Too bad I don't have an upgrade, or the cash if I did.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    At last night's Android 4.0/Galaxy Nexus event, a member of the Engadget team asked Google staffer Gabe Cohen whether or not today's current models will support Ice Cream Sandwich. As he put it, most of the devices currently running Android 2.3 Gingerbread should ultimately see an update. What's more, he advised that Google is “currently in the process for releasing Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus S. "
    Ice Cream Sandwich Should Work on Gingerbread Handsets | AndroidGuys

I've got the Nexus S, I'm stoked.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I have a Thunderbolt. Yeah yeah, heard all the jokes. No, I don't tote a generator around with me to charge six lead acid batteries to keep it going: just the generator. After figuring out how fast it drains I've learned to live with it - and stock the world around me with chargers. Never have come up short yet. Razr will have next generation everything, a bigger battery and a simplified Tasker built in to help save power so the onboard battery on the Razr wouldn't scare me a bit. It does allow for a very slim phone which is what the Razr is all about.

Watched the Galaxy Nexus / Ice Cream Sandwich announcement (below if you're interested - ICS only talk 20 min in) and I'm impressed. Looks like CM9 will be sweet. Since Verizon still hasn't gotten GB out, or ever had a working 'My Verizon' app for the TB, (LTE flagship my ass) the data use tracking alone in ICS will be especially appreciated here. BTW, if you are rooted you can get the "Roboto" font they highlight at the start through Font Installer.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I finally came over to the dark side, I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket......;-)
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Dad just picked up a Droid Razr....DAMNIT....I was content with my still snappy, plenty of room, reliable Droid X.....until I played with the Razr. Wow. That phone is stupid fast, smooth, thin, and just overall sexy.

The commercials do it no justice. That thing is super thin.

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Dad just picked up a Droid Razr....DAMNIT....I was content with my still snappy, plenty of room, reliable Droid X.....until I played with the Razr. Wow. That phone is stupid fast, smooth, thin, and just overall sexy.

The commercials do it no justice. That thing is super thin.
    Not wanting to upgrade due to losing unlimited data at this point. Pandora could end up costing me a fortune.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The big problem I see with the RAZR is the integrated battery. You can't swap it out. If the battery craps out, you're SOL. Better hope it lasts 2 years. You also can't have extra charged batteries for extended travel without charging.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Not wanting to upgrade due to losing unlimited data at this point. Pandora could end up costing me a fortune.

That would kill my data usage too. I can't afford to get a new one, so that's keeping me in check at the moment.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    See, I don't run that hard in the data. I've been watching, and so far, I'm nowhere near 2 GB in any given month. Little bit of browsing, little bit of forum stuff... the odd Google search... I've got Pandora, but I just don't use it much.

Sometime in the next several months, I'm going to upgrade. Not sure what phone -- but considering one of the rugged Android phones on the market like the Samsung Galaxy XCover or Motorola Defy... Exact decisions will depend on price and reviews at the time.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just saw this. I'll be a bit irritated if it pans out.

Your Smartphone Is Spying on You - Yahoo! News
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This isn't news. All these companies are making money off us with advertising. Targeted advertising. The way they target the ads is by following everything we do on the Internet.

If you are signed on to Facebook, Facebook knows every website you visit with a Facebook "Like". Same with the Google+ +1 button everywhere. Google knows every word in Gmail and targets the advertising on the Gmail page from it. Apple, Google, Microsoft, Facebook --they are all watching what we do and making money from it. There is no privacy on the Internet. That includes our Internet connected phones.

Personally, I don't mind targeted advertising. Rather than get random advertising for Midol, Depends, and Massengil I'd rather see ads for electronic gadgets, firearms accessories, and penis enlargement.

The next step is going to be location aware advertising. Alerts on your phone for businesses near you offering you deals. You're in the mall? "Spencers is offering 10% off for Google+ users, stop by. The escalator is to your right, take a left at the second floor and follow the hallway around the corner on the right." Don't laugh, the update to Google Maps on Android this week includes indoor locations. It will pinpoint your locations with cell tower triangulation, GPS, and Wi-Fi signals (what everyone criticized Street View for collecting.) Your phone will know where you are in the mall and give you a map for the place. And then tell you where the sales are.

Verified LEO
    They're actually doing that in a few places already. They're trying a new feature in Google Maps that takes advantage of wifi, cell towers, etc. to guide you in some airports and malls.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That's what I said. LOL!

Have you tried it yet? I bet that large mall on your northern border will be in there ASAP. There's nothing around here for me to try it with. (They don't make igloos that big.)

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    That's what I said. LOL!

Have you tried it yet? I bet that large mall on your northern border will be in there ASAP. There's nothing around here for me to try it with. (They don't make igloos that big.)
    I stay out of that place if I have anything to say about it -- and I usually do. I haven't had a chance or need to look at the app. I mean, Google Maps works great -- but I don't know about this particular modification.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm going to eat some of my words here.

The carriers/manufacturers are saying this CarrierIQ program is for cellular diagnostics and improving service.

The problem is:

1) You can't opt out. You can't turn it off. (Google allows you to opt out of some of their tracking.) Everything else you install explains what resources it will access on your device and allows you to opt out by not installing. This program has absolute access to everything and there's nothing you can do about it. You can't even kill the process with a "Force Close."

2) This program logs everything. Everything. It even logs data that's supposed to be encrypted (like a Google search on an https connection.) It logs your key strokes.

3) This program is running and logging all this, and presumably reporting it, even when you aren't using your carrier's signal. If you are using your Wi-Fi connection it's all being logged. That has nothing to do with cellular diagnostics.

I'm willing to accept Google's targeting advertising. They tell you what they are doing, allow you to opt out, and the rest of it is aggregate and not identifiable to you. This IQ logs everything you are doing, usernames, passwords, even when you are on your private Wifi and not even using the carrier's signal.

I don't like IQ. It's arguably too invasive and you are not able to shut it down or opt out.

The good news is it's not every carrier, or phone. In fact it's not part of the Android repository (AOSP) and is being added on by the manufacturer at the carrier's request (maybe.) My phone is running CyanogenMod which is modified AOSP and CarrierIQ is not there. (I have no idea if my phone shipped with it from the factory, but it ain't there now.)

The shame is you shouldn't have to void your warranty, root the phone, and install a custom ROM to keep your carrier from snooping on every keystroke you do on your phone.

Here's a fascinating video showing the program at work, how to find it on your phone, and what it's doing:

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    My above mentioned Android is giving me problems, which according to some forum chat is an ongoing problem. I am only able to use my gmail email account, no others' will load auto or manual. Anyone have any ideas about what I can do or which email client app in the market will help me.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread Information