Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Android Discussion

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    My above mentioned Android is giving me problems, which according to some forum chat is an ongoing problem. I am only able to use my gmail email account, no others' will load auto or manual. Anyone have any ideas about what I can do or which email client app in the market will help me.
    See my post in this thread about buying Samsung phones right after release. Big mistake. Their quality control sucks and there's always something wrong. In a couple months the phones being manufactured will fix whatever bug is there now. Samsung is notorious for dragging their feet on software releases. Unless you are willing to root it now (and void the warranty) and start loading custom ROMS it's not going to be fixed.

Take your phone back to the store while it's still under warranty and brand new. Exchange it for a different phone. There's lots of good stuff out there.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

warrants 1 is offline Cuffing & Stuffing for 12 years now...
    Verified LEO
    I finally came over to the dark side, I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket......;-)
    I want to upgrade to one of these this Christmas. What's your experience?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I finally came over to the dark side, I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket......;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    See my post in this thread about buying Samsung phones right after release. Big mistake. Their quality control sucks and there's always something wrong. In a couple months the phones being manufactured will fix whatever bug is there now. Samsung is notorious for dragging their feet on software releases. Unless you are willing to root it now (and void the warranty) and start loading custom ROMS it's not going to be fixed.

Take your phone back to the store while it's still under warranty and brand new. Exchange it for a different phone. There's lots of good stuff out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by warrants 1 View Post
    I want to upgrade to one of these this Christmas. What's your experience?
    I'm guessing not a good experience.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've owned 2 Samsung Android phones. I won't ever buy one again right after release. They are often riddled with hardware problems, especially at release. I would wait a couple months, let them iron out the problems, and put out a phone that works. If you look at the help forums for the phones you'll see tons of people with hardware problems. After a couple months you'll see where folks are getting new replacements under warranty that now work correctly.

That said, the Nexus developer phones are the way to go. You'll get stock Android without the additional craptastic gui on top (Moto Blur etc.) That new Nexus is rumored to have Ice Cream Sandwich which marries the phone and tablet versions of Android.
    The Samsung Vibrant came out with non functional GPS. It took minutes to get a lock, if you ever got one. It was completely unusable. Samsung attempted to release a "fix" but it didn't work. The only way I got GPS functional was to turn to the hacking/modding community. The GPS was usuable then, bust still slow.

I got the Samsung Nexus S. Ahhhh GPS finally works. But the accelerometer/compass is jacked up. Samsung has never fixed it. It also randomly loses all signal and you have to reboot it (the radio crashes.) It got bad and did it repeatedly all day long. I've stabilized it with running CyanogenMod. I don't know what Samsung did to this phone and why it was incompatible with AOSP.

I would seriously wait a couple months after a Samsung device is released before purchasing it.
    FYI for you guys looking at the Samsung Galaxy S II phones. Wait a couple months first.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    My only problem is the email problem, other than that this phone rocks!!!
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    How about this one, my Samsung Intercept can't see my home wifi network. Any suggestions?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

warrants 1 is offline Cuffing & Stuffing for 12 years now...
    Verified LEO
    I'm guessing not a good experience.
    Gotcha, What do you mean by new release? how many months afterward? With T-Mobile it will cost me $200. for the upgrade and if its not the way to go, (by Christmas) I need a plan "B".

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've gotten the Vibrant and Nexus S right after they were released. I didn't see people saying their replacement was fixed for 3 or 4 months.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    How about this one, my Samsung Intercept can't see my home wifi network. Any suggestions?
    Is your home broadcasting an SSID?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My only problem is the email problem, other than that this phone rocks!!!
    If you want a defective phone that won't retrieve your email have at it. There's a lot of really good phones out there if you want one that works.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Don't know if this is common knowledge or slipped under the radar like it did for me - Google started selling 10 apps a day for 10c each for 10 days last week. Few days left, might find something useful. No need to do anything special, just go the the regular Android Market and it's right on the start page.

Get this solved already, Ducky? If not, I ask do you have the router set to auto-negotiate B/G/N or locked to one?

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    If you want a defective phone that won't retrieve your email have at it. There's a lot of really good phones out there if you want one that works.
    I can wait for the email portion to get worked out, since I have all my emails now going through my gmail account.......;-)
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Is your home broadcasting an SSID?
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Get this solved already, Ducky? If not, I ask do you have the router set to auto-negotiate B/G/N or locked to one?
    It's set to B & G. It's not an N router.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    The Samsung Galaxy Nexus was released at midnight today through Verizon. It is the first Android phone with the Ice Cream Sandwich operating system. I've been on day shift all week instructing, so I swung over to the Verizon store on my lunch and bought one. It's a valid lunch break if I was getting Ice Cream Sandwich, right? It is insanely fast and the 4G connection flies! I'll let you guys know how I like the phone!
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    The Samsung Galaxy Nexus was released at midnight today through Verizon. It is the first Android phone with the Ice Cream Sandwich operating system. I've been on day shift all week instructing, so I swung over to the Verizon store on my lunch and bought one. It's a valid lunch break if I was getting Ice Cream Sandwich, right? It is insanely fast and the 4G connection flies! I'll let you guys know how I like the phone!
    Jealous! I have the Nexus S which is slated for ICS so I have something to look forward to.

Here's what you should know about owning a Nexus phone. It's intended as a developer phone to show off upcoming technology to the people who will program for it. As a result it is insanely easy to unlock and root. (Probably void your warranty but it's impossible to screw up if you follow instructions.) CyanogenMod is already developing an ICS ROM which will debut on the Galaxy Nexus.

Also, your Nexus is pure Android Ice Cream Sandwich AOSP. There should not be any bloatware from the manufacturer or carrier. That means there's no secondary GUI running on top of Android. No HTC Sense, Moto Blur, Samsung TouchWiz, or anything else that just eats resources to look pretty. It's a fast, clean, install of Android which will result in performance gains and battery life for you.

Enjoy!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    http://www.androidguys.com/2011/12/1...new-contracts/
    Amazon just dropped a note in our inbox to let us know that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is on sale for $149.99 for a limited time only. If you're thinking about picking one of these up from Verizon, and looking for a new line of service, then grab the Android 4.0 phone for half its normal asking price! Although not quite as awesome as the new contract price, eligible upgrades can be had for $249.99, still a savings of $50 over Verizon's cost. It looks to be back-ordered a bit right now but that's to be expected when you release a much-anticipated device at half price.

Don't forget that if you buy this phone and activate the mobile hotspot plan then you will receive a $100 gift card from Amazon! Sounds like a bunch of wins all the way around!

Amazon offering Galaxy Nexus for $149.99 with new contracts originally appeared on AndroidGuys.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    I changed my router to just broadcast on G and now my phone is happy. At least it's working.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    ICS for the Nexus S was released today. I've loaded it and it's nice. There's issues with it now keeping root and recovery so I've restored my Gingerbread setup. We'll see what the devs do this weekend.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Posting from Ice Cream Sandwich on the Nexus S. Solved the root issue and I've restored all my apps and data. The performance increase has been astounding and I like the new GUI.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I changed my router to just broadcast on G and now my phone is happy. At least it's working.
    That behaving reliably? I looked around the Sprint message boards after asking that and didn't have any better ideas. Sounds like the phone and some routers just don't get along for whatever reason. Heck mine still stalls on WiFi now and then and needs it to be cycled on/off to wake up. iPod Touch does too so no holy war tokens to be earned on either side. (maybe I should buy myself a new router for Xmas)

Anyone else using a Thunderbolt? I know our shame is great after the enthusiasm of the launch and the suckfest that is everything since, but if you're out there, my battery slurping brothers and sisters, a bit of reprieve is here. Turns out the Rezound battery fits (search Thunderbolt Rezound battery, never trust me, I sure wouldn't) and gives a couple hundred extra milliamps of goodness. Better yet it's on sale. Rather than the regular forty bucks it's $20 shipped from Verizon online.. bit more after adding pennies for the governor. Guess it's a barely publicized 4G phone battery sale which anyone with a 4G phone could use, but well, they quit reading at Thunderbolt because they were laughing too hard. Can't really blame them.

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread Information