Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Android Discussion

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Galaxy Nexus? You should upgrade. There's some nice stuff on there. GUI improvements too.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Worth trying to get it on my couple months old Samsung Nexus? Or is it going to be "upgrades" to stuff I don't really care about?

We have the same phone, do it. Best improvement is the volume of notifications. Google search, as Xiphos mentioned, is improved and this phone can absolutely handle it. The method I showed above will most likely push it to your phone. Just be in a good wi-fi spot with the wi-fi turned on.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/gal...a-reviews.html

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Wait -- you mean you can actually hear the damn things? I've half blamed it on the Otterbox case -- but even after digging up an app for ringtones, I can't hear them if there are any background noises -- and I can hardly feel it vibrate. (OK, I've had that problem with most phones except when I carried them in my pocket.)

That's a winning point right there!
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Wait -- you mean you can actually hear the damn things? I've half blamed it on the Otterbox case -- but even after digging up an app for ringtones, I can't hear them if there are any background noises -- and I can hardly feel it vibrate. (OK, I've had that problem with most phones except when I carried them in my pocket.)

That's a winning point right there!
    Also use the app Volume+ https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...EE.android.lvh

My Nexus is stock and it works just fine.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Well -- upgraded to Jelly Bean last night. Didn't even have to do anything tricky; Verizon actually pushed it as soon as I connected to wifi. So far quite happy. Very fast and smooth.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I got JB OTA the other day. I haven't taken much time to mess around with it yet, but my battery life has suffered a bit. Normally, by the time I head up for lunch, I'm still about 80% battery life. Now, I'm in the 45% range and have to plug my phone into the charger in my squad to ensure that I'm able to finish the shift. I keep my background programs closed when not in use and the GPS locator doesn't seem to be going crazy on it.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    I got JB OTA the other day. I haven't taken much time to mess around with it yet, but my battery life has suffered a bit. Normally, by the time I head up for lunch, I'm still about 80% battery life. Now, I'm in the 45% range and have to plug my phone into the charger in my squad to ensure that I'm able to finish the shift. I keep my background programs closed when not in use and the GPS locator doesn't seem to be going crazy on it.
    I'm seeing that, too. When I searched on it... I got their splash page topping about reducing battery demand. H'mmm.... I chalked it up in part to more time than usual in the basement of the station, but...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Gopher, my experience has been just the opposite. However, I also think that "Tasker" the app I mentioned above is helping me too. I have it set to change display options, wi-fi connections and other things based off of which cell towers I am close too (saves battery over using GPS). My phone changes settings on its own based on where I'm at and what I'm usually doing with my phone at those places or at certain times. For example, I no longer get any emails or account syncs from 2230 to 0530. GPS and account syncs will run the battery. If I ever root I can use other settings too. Another cool thing with this app is when the phone connects to saved bluetooth signals it either goes into car mode or automatically opens Pandora and CardioTrainer when I connect the headphones. Very cool. See here: (This guy has the Gallaxy Nexus so a good channel to subscribe too Jks)

Jks9199 likes this.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    These systems have wonky reactions to upgrades. I recommend you backup all your photos, music etc, and to a factory reset. You'll have to reinstall all your apps but everything will work smoother.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    One thing I noticed today... There are a LOT more things syncing now than there used to be. I shut a lot of them down, and it seemed like the battery life was longer.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It is smoother, especially when surfing the web. I'm still getting used to the different font and layout of the drop down. So far I like the upgrade.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    These systems have wonky reactions to upgrades. I recommend you backup all your photos, music etc, and to a factory reset. You'll have to reinstall all your apps but everything will work smoother.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
    By the way. I did do the factory reset like you suggested. I lost a few apps somehow but the reset seemed to fix the problem. Thanks.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    So the kid and her boyfriend were over visiting yesterday, and the boyfriend was doing a bit of bragging about his iPhone. I picked up my phone and started changing the channels on my DirecTV. It took him a minute, then I heard "Dude, that's SICK!" and he hesitantly offered that his iPhone can take screen shots. My phone can take 3D pictures. He said the new iPhone would only cost him $200 with the new 2 year contract. I told him my phone was $300 to buy flat out, no contract, and my monthly charge is $45.

Poor kid. He has an iPhone and a good case of envy over my Android. LOL
    gopherpuckfan and Xiphos like this.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Did you show him the panoramic photos that your phone has been able to take for over 1.5 years?
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    Did you show him the panoramic photos that your phone has been able to take for over 1.5 years?
    Mine can't do that without an app, and I haven't downloaded it yet.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Killer App....

Download DeskSMS on your phone. It is a pay app but there's a free trial. Then you can download TabletSMS on your tablet. There's a Chrome extension for your computer browser and even Gmail and Google Talk notifications.

When you get text messages on your phone they will synch to the Chrome extension and TabletSMS app. You can reply from those locations as well.

The app synchs to your Google account and uses the push notification servers. You get the notifications about a second after your phone gets the text. The extensions and app also synch your outgoing messages with your phone. No matter where you send and receive from the entire conversation is synch'd across your phone and everywhere else.

Everything sends through your phone so the other person has no idea you're on a computer or tablet.

It's so worth the subscription and it's probably my most used app.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    For anyone still waiting on the Jelly Bean upgrade for their phone (pipe down Xiphos) you can push it even if you are stock like me.

1. Go to settings
    2. Go to Apps
    3. Click All
    4. Scroll down to Google Services Framework and click
    5. Click Force Stop
    6. Click Clear data
    7. Go back to settings
    8. Scroll down to About phone and click
    9. Click System Updates
    10. Click Check for updates

If you did this right it should say last checked for updates on 12/31/1969. Click check now. When I did this the JB update was there. You have to be connected to wi-fi to get it at this time.
    Did not work droid x2

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    Did not work droid x2

It only works if your phone has a release that's being pushed out. His method basically forces you to the front of the queue.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    Did not work droid x2

Jelly Bean is also NOT being pushed to the X2.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    While putting up my "butcher gear" last night, I plugged my phone in to charge. It happened to be right next to my fryer. Needless to say, it fell in the fryer. I did not realize this until this morning. RIP, Razor

Now I have a Galaxy S III 4g.

wtf
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread Information