Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Android Discussion

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Bought the GS3. Bad ass device!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Told you so
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm salivating over rumors of the Motorola X. It's the first phone Google has had direct input in since purchasing Motorola Mobility. The rumors are saying it will be a la cart. You go to (probably) Google Play and assemble the phone you want to buy. Choose your color, CPU, RAM, memory etc. If that doesn't pan out, HTC is going to sell a developer's edition of the One that is already unlocked and ready for hacking.

In the meantime I'm hacking my HTC One X. I'm so much happier with HTC than Samsung. The last 2 phones I had were Samsung and they had a cheap feel and were problematic with bugs. I was excited for the specs of the GS4 but it's a slightly larger version of the GS3, including that stupid button Samsung is so smitten with. I guess it's just not a iPhone knock off without the button...

I've been running an older version of Cyanogenmod with Jelly Bean but with the older HTC kernel I haven't been able to take advantage of JB's behind the scenes power. I spent today upgrading the HBOOT and RUU so I could run the newer and more powerful JB ROMS. Cyanogenmod is a bit of a kluge on my phone so I have begun running a different ROM. I'm on the AOKP Ice Cold Jelly ROM now and I like it. I'm also looking forward to the performance and battery improvements in the new HTC HBOOT.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    I want to get in the plan where i buy your old phones. You have more phones than anyone i know
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    I want to get in the plan where i buy your old phones. You have more phones than anyone i know
    I have one phone. And I went 2 years before upgrading it.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I'm salivating over rumors of the Motorola X. It's the first phone Google has had direct input in since purchasing Motorola Mobility. The rumors are saying it will be a la cart. You go to (probably) Google Play and assemble the phone you want to buy. Choose your color, CPU, RAM, memory etc. If that doesn't pan out, HTC is going to sell a developer's edition of the One that is already unlocked and ready for hacking.

In the meantime I'm hacking my HTC One X. I'm so much happier with HTC than Samsung. The last 2 phones I had were Samsung and they had a cheap feel and were problematic with bugs. I was excited for the specs of the GS4 but it's a slightly larger version of the GS3, including that stupid button Samsung is so smitten with. I guess it's just not a iPhone knock off without the button...

I've been running an older version of Cyanogenmod with Jelly Bean but with the older HTC kernel I haven't been able to take advantage of JB's behind the scenes power. I spent today upgrading the HBOOT and RUU so I could run the newer and more powerful JB ROMS. Cyanogenmod is a bit of a kluge on my phone so I have begun running a different ROM. I'm on the AOKP Ice Cold Jelly ROM now and I like it. I'm also looking forward to the performance and battery improvements in the new HTC HBOOT.
    Spekin ze Inglish.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Spekin ze Inglish.
    Yup. My phone is cool too. All I have to do is punch in a few numbers and I'm talking to someone who isn't even near me!
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

SteelCityK9Cop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I updated to Jellybean yesterday on my Razer Max... it seems much faster now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Opinions on the LG Optimus G?
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The third party developer community has been rocked today by the announcement Cyanogenmod going commercial.

CyanogenMod team goes commercial, bullet-proof installer coming soon | Android Central

When I got my first Android phone I discovered I could wipe out the stock system and replace it with a home baked version cooked up by a hacker on the developer website XDA Forums. I've loaded that system, called Cyanogenmod on every phone I've had since then.

Cyanogenmod uses the latest Android releases from Google, enhances performance, security and other features. Instead of waiting months to maybe get an update from the manufacturer they come every few weeks from Cyanogenmod. Now supporting something like 100 different phones and millions of users Cyanogenmod has become incorporated.

We'll see phones coming out new with Cyanogenmod installed already. New encryption, device management, and privacy features are being implemented. There's a new installer program coming to help get the program installed painlessly and safely.

I've been using Privacy Guard for a couple weeks and love it. You can select which apps you have that you don't want want accessing your information. The system tells the apps you have location turned off and empty lists for information in contacts, calendars, messages etc.

I'm excited to see what's coming with this. It really is a system for the users, made by users, without phone carriers being able to screw it up.
    That Guy likes this.

That Guy is offline No one in particular
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Interested in this because I have always been afraid of taking the rooted plunge.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I'm a tech-savy guy, but I've usually avoided the rooted phone route. I think I've been worried about bricking my phone. Since my Nexus is getting a little long in the tooth, I'm out of my 2yr contract timeframe, and have to pay full price for a new phone anyways (to keep my unlimited everything plan), I'm thinking of giving it a try.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The Nexus phones are set up for easy rooting. You should have no trouble and the risk of bricking is minuscule if you read up. The CyanogenMod website has instructions for each phone too.

The biggest danger for bricking is right when a phone is released and the methods are still experimental. You should be looking at really easy and safe methods now.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    For those interested in running custom ROMS but leery of the tinkering it takes, CyanogenMod has released their installer. If you have a supported phone and aren't afraid of voiding your warranty check it out.

http://www.androidcentral.com/cyanog...ash-your-phone

In its push to make installing its custom firmware easier for the average user, CyanogenMod has just launched its installer app in the Play Store. You'll need more than just the app to get through the process, however. After installing and going through a few basic instructions related to turning on USB debugging and the like, you'll be pointed to its get.cm website to download the desktop software to initiate the install.

You'll still need a Windows PC (running Vista or later) and a good USB cable to get your phone flashed with CyanogenMod, which adds another wrinkle of complication to the process. The combination of apps on your phone and computer should make it pretty simple though, provided your phone is on the list of compatible devices.

Sent from the future with CyanogenMod.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I need some help from someone experienced with rooting phones as I am sure my only recourse with my brand new phone is going to be voiding the warranty.

My old phone, the HTC EVO V 4G 3D, experience screen death. I had this phone for two and a half years and loved it. It had some issues, but nothing I wasn't willing to work around. I still may try and track down a replacement screen, but that's neither here nor there.
    What is at issue is this. I bought an LG Optimus F3 (LS720) and the *&^$#%& thing doesn't allow me to put apps on the damn SD card. Otherwise I can deal with it, it's fast and has great pic clarity, but this issue is a critical one. It has all of 4G onboard storage, half of which is taken up by the OS and preinstalled apps. I want to be able to actually use my SD card for more than pics. I just have absolutely zero experience with rooting and could use someone to hold my (virtual) hand as I really and truly violate my warranty.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Go to Settings, then apps. Go to the All column and find the apps you want on the Sd card and open it. You should be able to select running them on the SD card.

Use this sparingly, it will slow the app down. The feature was created back when Android phones were really limited with memory.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Newer versions of Android are different. Try these instructions if my last post doesn't work.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/go...phone-sd-card/

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Go to Settings, then apps. Go to the All column and find the apps you want on the Sd card and open it. You should be able to select running them on the SD card.

Use this sparingly, it will slow the app down. The feature was created back when Android phones were really limited with memory.

Just a note -- I know that on my previous phone, there were some apps that could not be moved to the SD card. Some kind of made sense in light of Xiphos's explanation here, others... no rhyme or reason.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I used to store apps on my SD card on my old phone all the time, this phone just doesn't have that option at all. I've tried every way I can. I can store files and pics and music all I want to on it, just not apps. On my old phone, I could just click the "move to SD card" button, and ta-da! This one, there isn't a single app that has that button. That's why I'm thinking rooting may be my only option.

ETA: I'm running Android 4.1.2 which as I understand is the one they ditched the move to SD option. So yeah, root.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    One more thought... My Samsung Galaxy Nexus won't store apps on the SD card, either -- because it doesn't have an SD card. I'm assuming you've ruled that out, though...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread Information