Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Android Discussion

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    1: Shortcuts are the best way I know of. I have just a couple on the main screen for the most common stuff like "Home." I have the next home screen dedicated to Text and Phone shortcuts. I use AnyCut app for making them.

2: MixZing will automatically create playlists based on the Genre and other meta tags in the music. I don't use the stock player at ll. MixZing is the way to go.

3: Don't use the alarm much, can't help you there.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Mike325 is offline I like to ride on the fence!
    Verified LEO
    Any reason you use Anycut? Making those icons is built in to the default..

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike325 View Post
    Any reason you use Anycut? Making those icons is built in to the default..
    It may work differently on the Droid. It's easier than what's on my phone. If you have a profile picture for the contact that shows up as the icon too.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Also, I'm not really clear.. what is google voice?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I wonder about the shortcut dialing too... pressing and holding 1 still dials voice mail like every other Verizon phone, so maybe there is a way to program speed dials.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike325 View Post
    Also, I'm not really clear.. what is google voice?
    A portable phone number from Google that you control.

You can port it to your phone, or to any other phone. You can send calls to voicemail, or listen to them as they leave voicemail.

You can use it as a public number, never revealing your actual cell phone numbers. With the Droid or any smartphone with the app, you can make outgoing calls and texts using the Google number.

Get an invite from someone and check it out!
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Google Voice is a Google App that is currently in a limited run similar to Gmail when it came out. It could take you at least a few months to get an account after signing up, unless you score an invite.

GV can be used a couple ways, in conjunction with your existing phone number or you can get a new number from the service. I got a new number, it's also more feature rich. All your calling is handled through GV's servers utilizing your data and voice connection. The benefit is that you can alter the way you handle incoming calls. I have it set up so that anyone not in my contacts will be screened and has to announce who they are when the call me. When I answer the phone I hear the screen and decide whether to answer or send to voicemail. Your voicemail is all handled online and GV will provide transcripts for them too. I handle all my SMS through the service as well. You can archive and store it all like Gmail. I also block numbers for citizens I end up using my phone to call at work. If they call me back after blocking them in GV they hear a phone company recording that my number has been disconnected.

You can use GV with any phone but if you have Android the app takes over your dialing and calling so the phone behaves like normal. I think the Blackberry App does the same thing but the integration in Android is tight.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    By the way, I just started using CallTrack app on my phone. You create a calendar for tracking phone calls and link it to CallTrack when you set up the app. All my incoming and outgoing calls are stored in the Gmail calendar. It shows the contact and duration. Very slick for saving your call history and you don't have to worry about your phone being lost or wiped.

Verified LEO
    wow very nice.. anyone have a gv invite?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't at the moment, but I will keep you in mind if one shows up in my inbox.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Any new apps being used by our resident gurus?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I already posted about CallTrack. I really like that.

I've recently purchased Scan2PDF which is a pay app. You use your camera and the app stores the pictures into a PDF file. You can use it as a document scanner or just a way to store pics in a PDF file.

Last week I had a clusterfuck shoplifting case. I was eventually able to recover all the stolen merchandise after the store was closed. My evidence technician photographed it all for me but I had to put it into the property room. I used Scan2PDF on my phone and emailed the PDF to my work account. All the pics were saved into one single PDF. I was able to use that file the next day so loss prevention could see exactly what was stolen and give me prices. I've used it a few times recently and it's been handy.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm still trying to find an app that will tell me what the different hazmat placards mean. In case I happen upon a tanker truck or train cluster I would like to know what is leaking ect.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I'm still trying to find an app that will tell me what the different hazmat placards mean. In case I happen upon a tanker truck or train cluster I would like to know what is leaking ect.
    There's an "Emergency Response Guide" in the Android market but it has bad reviews. The iPhone has HazRef which is a paid app and has some 3,000 hazmats in it. I think your best shot at this point with Android is to bookmark a website and search from there. Keep your eye out for HazRef in the meantime...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Will do. Just having the name will help.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "Talk To Me" Free app that lets you speak English into the phone and it repeats in Spanish, German, French ect. The person can hear the translation vial spoken word or read it on the screen. With voice to text this is really handy.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just downloaded a free metal detector app and have been using it all day to see how it works. Not a bad tool once you get the settings set up right. Had to tweak mine since the Droid is in a Body Glove. This did make a friend with an Iphone a bit jealous.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Just downloaded a free metal detector app and have been using it all day to see how it works. Not a bad tool once you get the settings set up right. Had to tweak mine since the Droid is in a Body Glove. This did make a friend with an Iphone a bit jealous.
    Are you going beachcombing for lost trinkets or starting your own "Meteorite Men" show?

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Are you going beachcombing for lost trinkets or starting your own "Meteorite Men" show?
    OH I may look for piercings and such. I can already see myself telling some idiot that it is a lie detector and making it go off.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So I get a call for a mental who thinks someone is hiding in the walls and blowing drugs into her apartment.

Enroute I download the metal detector app. I run it and tell the mental it's a drug detector. I point it at him, the wood table, the sofa cushions with no response. I point it at my uniform (name tag) and it beeps and vibrates. "See? We have drug residue on our uniforms from being around it so much so I know this device works. It's not indicating drugs anywhere in your apartment. It's safe in here."

Bingo. Problem solved.

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information