Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Android Discussion

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Haha! Awesome!
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ok, now I'm rockin' 2.1 on my Sapphire 32B also known as the T-Mobile MyTouch 3G.

I just finished loading CyanogenMod 5.0.7.

Part of the upgrade process this time around was a factory wipe/reset. Currently Titanium Backup is restoring all my apps and data.

I'm pretty excited! If you have rooted your device you have to get yourself the Titanium Backup. It's paying for itself right now since I don't have to go download and install the 123 apps I had on my phone.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Oh man I love 2.1. Coming from 1.6 it's a huge difference. There's so many little features and upgrades. Great stuff!

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Go to the UK Google page Google

type Meet Android and hit "I'm Feeling Lucky"

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just joined the Droid forum under the same user name:

Greetings - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Here's an interesting article about why Android doesn't need an app manager. I've been running one to kill apps that aren't running but developers specifically address this issue. Android will kill apps when it needs memory. It keeps stuff in memory to speed up when you need the app, then gets rid of it if you need the memory. I've completely rethought my use of the app manager.

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yup - Linux kernel does that.

I still find the app manager useful for stuff I don't want to persist, like the camera.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've found that when Android thinks it's running out of memory is very different from when I perceive it. I have a certain amount of system lag I can deal with but sometimes the phone will really bog down, I like having the app manager to kill everything so I can use the phone. I don't have the automatic schedule running to kill tasks though now.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I use the task killer to help conserve battery life. I've seen the Droid shut down apps on it's own, but I like to kill just about everything except email.

Oh, and I can't wait for Froyo (2.2 in case you're wondering) to come out next month!
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    I use the task killer to help conserve battery life. I've seen the Droid shut down apps on it's own, but I like to kill just about everything except email.

Oh, and I can't wait for Froyo (2.2 in case you're wondering) to come out next month!
    You really don't need to. Android will keep an app in memory to speed up response when you activate that app. With a few exceptions they aren't running and consuming battery life. Read the article I posted.

For improving battery life check out: [Suggestions] Best practice in Improving Battery Life for CM 5.0.7 - CyanogenMod Forum

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The best battery saver I have found is "Screebl". I have my display set on a 15 second usage timer down from 1 minute. With screebl that is plenty. The display will always be your biggest drain with a Droid or anything similar.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

Android Discussion

While I don't have any Android devices yet, I expect to have one or two in the very near future. I am interested in the:

-Motorola i1 (Nextel)

-Garminfone (T-Mobile)

I am hoping that I will be able to just pull the SIM card from my work i680 and use it on the Motorola i1. Work doesn't provide data, just regular voice and Direct Connect, so I will have to see if it would even be worth my while to get this.

One of my personal phone is a Garmin Nuvifone G60, which I unlocked, and use on T-Mobile. The Garmin Nuvifone G60 received generally dismal reviews, but I like mine. I use it as a GPS in my take home unmarked as well as for calls and texting. I am anticipating that the Garminfone should be even better.

Is there anything I should know about Android before I spring for it? I should point out I have some BlackBerry experience also.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Droids are buy get one free right now. Best phone and choice I have made.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    You really don't need to. Android will keep an app in memory to speed up response when you activate that app. With a few exceptions they aren't running and consuming battery life. Read the article I posted.

For improving battery life check out: [Suggestions] Best practice in Improving Battery Life for CM 5.0.7 - CyanogenMod Forum
    Interesting.

Without messing around with the phone too much, the task killer has been great. I can actually make it 24 hours now without the phone completely dying on me. I had a friend buy a Droid as well and she was upset about the short battery life too. She does the task killer now and is very happy. It's a simple fix for those of us that don't want to dink around with the phone settings too much. I might delve into the above link sometime down the road, but for now task killer will suffice
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Interesting.

Without messing around with the phone too much, the task killer has been great. I can actually make it 24 hours now without the phone completely dying on me. I had a friend buy a Droid as well and she was upset about the short battery life too. She does the task killer now and is very happy. It's a simple fix for those of us that don't want to dink around with the phone settings too much. I might delve into the above link sometime down the road, but for now task killer will suffice

Screebl will increase battery life even more.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Interesting.

One of the articles I've read said the task killers decrease battery life. Because Android intentionally starts apps to keep them in memory, when you are killing them the system will restart them. This thrashes the battery until the app is in memory. Once it's there it sits without consuming any juice. With few exceptions it's not actually performing anything and not using juice. It's just sitting and waiting for you to use it. The more you kill the apps, the more android has to start them, eating battery. You'll use less battery if you just leave it alone.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    While I don't have any Android devices yet, I expect to have one or two in the very near future. I am interested in the:

-Motorola i1 (Nextel)

-Garminfone (T-Mobile)

I am hoping that I will be able to just pull the SIM card from my work i680 and use it on the Motorola i1. Work doesn't provide data, just regular voice and Direct Connect, so I will have to see if it would even be worth my while to get this.

One of my personal phone is a Garmin Nuvifone G60, which I unlocked, and use on T-Mobile. The Garmin Nuvifone G60 received generally dismal reviews, but I like mine. I use it as a GPS in my take home unmarked as well as for calls and texting. I am anticipating that the Garminfone should be even better.

Is there anything I should know about Android before I spring for it? I should point out I have some BlackBerry experience also.
    If you are going with T-Mobile the phone I would most recommend is the Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone. ... You will be getting blazing speeds and a gorgeous screen. You'll also get an unlocked phone that is easily rooted and modded as well if you want to (don't have to if that's not your thing.) You'll also be able to use Google Maps Navigation for navigation if you want. If you want a more fully featured navigation program you can purchase nav apps. You'll be better off I think with that route than the route with the Garmin phone. As far as I know that's rather untested and unknown right now.

T-Mobile also is coming out with the MyTouch Slide with will have a hardware keyboard and will be less expensive than the Nexus One.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread, because I'm not a Droid user and a lot of this stuff doesn't make sense to me. BUT, I have been hearing a lot of buzz about the Droid Incredible on VZW. Thoughts?
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread, because I'm not a Droid user and a lot of this stuff doesn't make sense to me. BUT, I have been hearing a lot of buzz about the Droid Incredible on VZW. Thoughts?
    It's a very impressive phone. Devs are working hard on getting it rooted. The one drawback is the demand for parts is so high the phone is back ordered until the end of June. When Verizon picked up the Incredible it dropped plans to carry the Nexus One. Very similar feature set.

Check out some benchmarks: Motorola Shadow Benchmarked, Looking Pretty Zippy | Android Phone Fans

There's another Droid phone coming out probably this summer. There's speculation it's the Droid 2, possibly the Xtreme. The Shadow also looks badass!

In other news Qualcomm just announced a new 1.2 ghz Snapdragon DUAL CORE processor. Two processors on one board designed for the mobile market. The next couple years are going to be really interesting in the smart phone market. Holiday Inn Express is testing a new app where you can check into your hotel and open your door with just your phone. Bypass the front desk and never pick up a key. As this smart phone technology gets more pervasive we're really going to see some cool stuff.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ok I'm lazy. I just don't feel like checking it myself. Is "Droid" a phone or a platform for which a phone to operate? I say this because when an iPhone is referred to it is the phone specifically. I thought Droid was the same thing.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information