Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Android Discussion

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Android is an operating system (OS) used by certain phones just like Windows is a individual operating system used by computers. The Droid is a phone made by Mororola that uses the Android OS. There are other phones that use the Android OS such as the HTC Incredible.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread, because I'm not a Droid user and a lot of this stuff doesn't make sense to me. BUT, I have been hearing a lot of buzz about the Droid Incredible on VZW. Thoughts?

My Dad just switched from his Storm 2 to the HTC Incredible. I gotta say, that thing is awesome. If RIM doesn't step up by the time I'm due for an upgrade, another Blackberry faithful may be jumping ship...
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    And my Droid envy continues to grow.....

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Ok I'm lazy. I just don't feel like checking it myself. Is "Droid" a phone or a platform for which a phone to operate? I say this because when an iPhone is referred to it is the phone specifically. I thought Droid was the same thing.
    Android is an operating system for mobile platforms including cell phones, netbooks, and tablets. It is found on a variety of platforms and various cellular carriers all over the world. It is open source, with open development, led by Google. That is why it is extremely popular and the last 18 months have seen exponential growth with the system.

Verizon has licensed the rights from Lucas Arts to use the "Droid" moniker with its Android system line. There have been several phones by both Motorola and HTC on Verizon that carry the "Droid" name. The flagship of this line is THE Droid made by Motorola. There was also the HTC Droid Eris and now the HTC Droid Incredible. There are more Android phones coming to Verizon and they will also be called Droid, including a rumored Droid 2.

The discussion here tends to focus on Android itself since that applies to multiple phones. There has been some specific Droid talk though since a few users here have that specifically.

Right now in the US you can find Android phones on T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon with Verizon being the most popular. T-Mo pioneered Android phones in the US, Sprint is offering the first "4G" phone this summer along with some other offerings the last year like the Hero. AT&T has crippled their initial Android offerings by locking down the system and forcing Yahoo apps instead of Google apps. They are getting more phones soon and everyone is wondering if they will also cripple them.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Here's how Google Voice works with Android phones. First off, GV is NOT a Voice Over IP service. You are using your telephone service in conjunction with your data plan.

GV will work on any telephone. You select the number you want to call on your GV page and it will call you. Your incoming call will be your GV number. When you answer, GV will call the number you are trying to reach and connect you.

On your smart phone with GV app it's a smoother process. GV takes over your phone's dialer and contacts etc in the background. You don't know you are using it. You select a number to call and GV will make a call to a GV telephone center. It uses your data plan to notify the data center you are calling and who you are trying to reach. The data center answers your call and forwards you to the number you are calling and it passes along your caller id.

When someone calls your GV number, they are really calling the GV data center. The data center then forwards the call to your phone and passes along the caller id information. On your phone it looks like someone is calling you, and you see their caller id info. By having the data center intercept that call and pass it to you, your GV services like call screening, call blocking, and voicemail can all be utilized.

If you have a calling plan with a "circle" of friends you are allowed to call unlimited (like me) you can set up your GV to utilize it and no matter who you call, it will be covered under your plan.

When GV passes a call on to you, it's really calling you with your GV number. The caller id data is sent to the GV app on your phone and is displayed with your incoming call. Your cell carrier however only sees your GV number dialing your phone. Add your GV number to your calling circle. All your incoming GV calls now are free in your calling circle.

When you dial out to someone, your phone will usually dial the same number to get the GV data center. This can be tricky though, you need to watch it. GV has switched this number a few times on me. If you program this number into your circle, no matter who you call the phone company only sees you calling the GV data center which is in your plan. Again, no matter who you call it's covered because you're really calling GV which is in your plan.

To find out what the GV number is, when you call out on your phone using the GV app, it will tell you something like "calling via google voice 804-214-6644." That 804 number is the GV number my phone has been programed to call. That's in my "circle."

Clear as mud?

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ok. Thanks for the heads up.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Android: The Three Things You Need to Know First | AndroidGuys

Congratulations! You just became the proud owner of your first Android phone: an EVO 4G, a MyTouch Slide, or one of the dozens of others available. Using Android is fairly intuitive, but there are a few things to know that will help you get comfortable more quickly.

1. Android has its head in the cloud.

Open up the Contacts on your new Android phone for the first time, and you may be surprised to find your friends already listed there. Your Google contacts are your Android contacts, and you can manage them on your phone, in Gmail, or at Google Contacts. Either way, they'll all stay in sync. Or--if you prefer--just sync certain contact groups with your phone. Install the official Twitter app and the official Facebook app, and you can keep contacts from those two sites in sync with your phone's contacts, too.

And the cloud-connectedness goes beyond contacts. Pictures on your phone sync with Picasa Web Albums, and vice versa. So do voicemails in your Google Voice account, favorite places and custom maps in Google Maps, your agenda in Google Calendar, and your search history in the browser.

2. Pull down the windowshade for your notifications.

If you've installed an app, connected your phone to another computer
    via USB or received an email, text message, IM, or voicemail, you know that notifications show up in the little horizontal bar across the top of the screen. But did you know you can touch that bar and drag it down for more information on them? Then tap on an individual notification to go straight to the new email, to open the app you just installed, etc. And you can pull down the notification bar from anywhere, whether you're on a homescreen or in an app-- if you see the bar, you can pull it down to access your current notifications.

If you already know how to do this, you no doubt take it for granted and may think it's silly to point out, but I've known folks who've gone weeks without knowing it's possible. It's a great way to handle notifications--but only if you know it exists.

3. When in doubt, press longer.

"Long press" is to Android like "right click" is to Windows. If you can tap it, you can probably also tap and hold for contextual options and more functionality. Don't like the spot you dropped that app shortcut on your desktop? Press and hold for just a moment, and when you feel the haptic buzz, drag it to somewhere else. Press and hold on an empty spot on the desktop, and you'll be rewarded with a menu that lets you create shortcuts, add widgets or folders, and change the wallpaper. It works in apps, too: long press on a message in Gmail to choose to archive it, star it, or perform another action. In the browser, long press on a link to choose to bookmark it, share it, or any of several other options. Also in the browser, you can long press the Back button to access your History.

Long press Home from anywhere to see and choose from apps you've used recently.

Long press Search from anywhere to bring up voice search.

Long press Menu from anywhere to bring up a virtual keyboard. Try it, for example, in your list of contacts. Tap and hold Menu to bring up the keyboard, then start typing someone's name. The list of contacts will instantly filter to those that match what you typed.

When in doubt, long press, and you'll probably learn something else you can do.

Now, new Android owner, you know enough to be dangerous. Enjoy your phone and keep an eye on AndroidGuys.com for more great tips and tricks.
    Read the comments, more good tips there!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The Droid Incredible has been rooted. It's not an easy, or safe process now. I expect though now that the vulnerability has been found it will get easier and safer soon.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm typing this using Swype. Get it from beta.swype.com. This is fast and badass.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Can you explain Swype and is it free for a Droid?

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Free for Android phones. It's in a limited Beta now so get it fast.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnQts9NUnL4]YouTube - How to Swype![/ame]

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Xiphos, I can't keep everyone's phones straight in my head. Do you have the Incredible? I want, I want, I WANT!!! First phone in a long while I'm going to pay full price for, but it seems to be worth it. The more I mess with Android, the more I'm a fan.

Side not, anyone tried Layar Reality Browser yet? It is 100% grade A BADASS.

Layar Reality Browser adds 3D to its Platform – Augmented Reality Browser: Layar
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Xiphos, I can't keep everyone's phones straight in my head. Do you have the Incredible? I want, I want, I WANT!!! First phone in a long while I'm going to pay full price for, but it seems to be worth it. The more I mess with Android, the more I'm a fan.

Side not, anyone tried Layar Reality Browser yet? It is 100% grade A BADASS.

Layar Reality Browser adds 3D to its Platform Augmented Reality Browser: Layar
    If you can wait a bit, see what's coming out when they announce it next week. The specs on the Droid X and Droid 2 are phenomenal.

Next Generation of Droid to Be Unveiled June 23 | Android Phone Fans

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Specs on the Droid X are 4.3 inch screen and screaming processor. The Droid 2 has a much nicer keyboard than the Droid. Also rumored 1 Ghz processor.

We'll know a lot more after next week.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Ooh! I'[m having to wait anyway. The Incrdible is sold out all over.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ooh! I'[m having to wait anyway. The Incrdible is sold out all over.
    Reca got one and is still waiting for it on backorder.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Going to be scary with what is avaliable in two years when I'm set for an upgrade.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Reca got one and is still waiting for it on backorder.
    9 more days!!!
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    9 more days!!!

If you are not alread doing so, I would start using Google Chrome as your browser and set up a gmail account.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm not eligible for an upgrade until September. I may be able to score an early upgrade in July. I'm stoked to see what will be available by then.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information