Welcome to the APBWeb.
    121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

Has anyone seen this one? Or the original?

The original was one of my favorite movies ever. It was all about ultra-radical vigilantism. While the movie's violence in the name of religious beliefs was over the top, I definitely identified with making the predators the prey. It was an awesome flick, and one that has an ever-growing cult following.

I just got the sequel tonight from the Red Box. While it was okay, it just didn't capture the essense of the original. The first one was a bit more gritty and dark. The sequel was a little more slick and stylized, with a lot more obvious humor it seemed...almost Tarantino-ish. I don't know. I might still buy it on DVD, but I had to pop the original one in right afterward to get my fix.

Here's a good example...the sequel didn't have any prolific scenes like the one below. Nothing that really made me go "Holy shit." The first time I even saw the original, and the court room scene, I thought it was riveting and well-written. Still one of my all time favorite movie scenes. Possibly NSFW -- Violence and Language.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqq9MpbQ9uU]YouTube - Full Boondock Saints courtroom scene[/ame]
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    .....While it was okay, it just didn't capture the essense of the original. The first one was a bit more gritty and dark. The sequel was a little more slick and stylized, with a lot more obvious humor it seemed...almost Tarantino-ish.....
    You hit it on the head as far as I am concerned. I really looked forward to the sequel but it just wasn't as good as the first one.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    It was different. Different feel. Seemed like they strained a little bit in keeping some of the original ideas the same (i.e.- having a third man for the crew, keeping Da as a shadowy secret weapon) and it seemed like there were things that ended up on the cutting room floor that probably should have stayed in (I had a feeling that some of the Rocco scenes were shorter than they were meant to be). But... as it was on its own, still a good movie.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Thread Information