Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Sprint MiFi 3G internet card

Ok, long story short, the Sprint rep who sold me the Sprint MiFi greatly exaggerated how much 5GB's of usage really is. I've had this stupid thing for a hair over a month. It has frequntly disconnected, but when I brought it in to return it within their 30 day return policy, I was told I couldn't return it because I didn't have the original box (a box I was never told I needed to save.) So, after the 30 day point they could exchange it, but then I couldn't take advantage of the return policy. Either way, I checked my balance due and found I owed sprint over $500. I called and found that I managed to 9GB of data usage on the MiFi (despite the fact that the POS frequently disconnected.)

I was told I "would never" go over 5GB and that it was the equivalent of 1.6 million emails. Well, somehow I managed to go over. I bitched and got the overage charges removed.

I've got a new device on the way, but honestly I don't think I'm going to keep it because Im going to feel like I've got a meter running every time I connect to the internet.

The only things I do online that would use a fair amount of data would be the occasional hulu show or streaming NASCAR races since I don't have cable or satellite. From what I understand, that can eat up quite a bit.

I'm in a rural area, and need to know what you all use for internet where you are. Satelitte companys? Other cell phone companies? I don't have a landline phone and honestly don't want one, but if I need to go that route, I will.

So, let's hear your ideas people!
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    cable internet here
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    If you're within the DSL service area see if the providers there offer a naked DSL option. (DSL without phone service on the line) Many only sell DSL as part of a phone bundle and they all push bundles, but there's a good chance they do offer it. Though compare it to the bundle prices, sometimes the lowest bundle comes out to be the same or even less.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    I currently have a mobile broadband card from Sprint for my laptop, but started thinking about the mifi device instead. I recently got a Wii that I want to hook to the net. But when I saw the 5GB limit per month for $60, I started thinking I need to find another way. I get unlimited data for $60 on my current mobile broadband plan. Unless I could maintain my current plan when switching to the mifi, there's no way I can do the mifi. I know I have to normally use more than 5GB per month. Some days I've gone over 3GB in a day when downloading podcasts. Maybe since my iPhone works so well when I'm not at home, maybe I can go back to having cable internet for the home. My whole thing for getting mobile broadband was to be able to get online on my laptop anywhere I go/travel. But even though it's not as easy, I can access anything on my iPhone if I'm itching for web surfing/facebook/O-R/etc. Maybe I can still find some other solution to satisfy all my needs.

Is your mifi the one that is both 3G and 4G capable? That was the one I had been thinking of getting.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    $60 for 5GB???!?!?!?

5 GB is NOTHING. I pay half that $60 for unlimited fiber optic here.

That is a MAJOR ripoff.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    I have the Sprint 3g/4g broadband card and havent gone over yet (I have it with unlimited data plan phone for $120 month). I dont watch hulu or stream Nascar though...and I dont have TV or a landline either. I REFUSE to get Comcast....too much time arguing over bills/charges with them. I use Netflix for movies/tv series.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    I have the Sprint 3g/4g broadband card and havent gone over yet (I have it with unlimited data plan phone for $120 month). I dont watch hulu or stream Nascar though...and I dont have TV or a landline either. I REFUSE to get Comcast....too much time arguing over bills/charges with them. I use Netflix for movies/tv series.

Your unlimited data plan on your phone is separate from your broadband card though, right? You still have a limit on your card, despite having unlimited data on your phone...?
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information