Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Good News/Bad News for AT&T Android fans.

The Motorola Backflip is coming locked down and will be missing Google apps. It's preinstalled with Yahoo. You are also locked down to only installing from the Android Market. The Dell Aero is supposedly also going to be similarly locked down. Don't know if it will also be tied into Yahoo.

AT&T apparently fails to understand that the appeal of Android is it's openness.

If you are on AT&T and are crushed that the carrier is trying to force the round Android peg into the iPhone square, here's the good news. The Nexus One is available and it's open. You have to buy it from Google, unlocked and without carrier support (no contract subsidy.) It'll run you $529 but it's open and the carrier can't touch it. You can also root it (quite easily) and load it up with the latest CyanogenMod goodness.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Titanium Backup Info

I switched my Google account that I'm using for my phone. If you want to know how to do that without a factory reset, follow these instructions:

Go to Settings - Applications - Manage Applications

Scroll down to "Google Apps" and open it. Clear the cache/data.

Reboot, and open the Market. It will start your sign in process again.

Anyway when I did that, and switched to my new Google account, I lost all my market data. Market didn't know what apps I had installed. That sucks considering I paid for some of them. All the apps worked on my phone but I wouldn't be able to uninstall/reinstall them.

Titanium Backup has a "Market Doctor" when you upgrade to the paid version. This thing paid for itself this morning. I ran a full backup from the app and then the Market Doctor. It scans all the apps on your phone and then restores the links to them in the Market App. I rebooted my phone and the market saw all of them there.

I haven't upgraded my rom and reinstalled from the backup but I suspect that will work well based on this experience. I'll update when I try that.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Those looking forward to the amazing EVO 4G on Sprint, rumor has it that the device is going to begin preselling at Best Buy in May. Evo 4G straight from Sprint's playbook; Best Buy reportedly preselling in May | Android Central

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I am awaiting a Mildot Master app.
    Ballistics Calculator

There's another called Shooter Lite.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I had the truly entertaining chance to get in between a conversation at my son's cubscout pack meeting tonight.

A Dev at Microsoft over in Redmond who had the new and supersecret unreleased Windows 7 phone, and a Dev at Motorola who told me their next new phone will eat the Droid as a light snack.

The Windows phone was flashy and had a lot in common with the looks of the Droid, but was all beta. Half of the stuff worked, but it was neat to see it before the public.

We all quickly left the iPhone advocate behind.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    How do I use those handy little bar codes you guys are posting?

Hit the market and get an app called mobiletag.

When you use it the camera will turn on. Hold the camera up to the tag. It takes some getting the hang of it, but eventually your phone will beep and take you to the link.

It will also read UPC codes.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You can use barcode reader too. That will work with Shop Savvy, which is a must have app.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Here's a list of the apps I'm using so far...

Barcode Scanner, Compass, Dictionary.com, Documents to Go Full Version, Droid Light, Facebook, Gmote, Google Goggles, Google Sky Map, Google Translate (VERY cool app!), iheartradio, Key Ring, Movies, My Coupons, My Backup Pro, Open Home, Pandora, Ringdroid, Save MMS, Shazam, Shopper, Snap Tell, SportsTap, Stop Watch, The Weather Channel, TuneWiki, TweetCaster, and United States Constitution
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Verizon begins Android 2.1 update rollout for Motorola Droid -- Engadget

Last update to Eclair supposedly rolling starting today.

Post if you get it.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I meant how do I get them and use them on message board land such. I can post them on other boards, and those in the know will follow them here. I'm already using that mobiletag app.
    qr code generator - Google Search

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Xi,

Any idea of how to link a Droid to the Horde Email system we use? I did my work email today and it is an exchange system. If I'm not mistaken the Horde is an IMAP system and it is more involved. I would love to have site stuff alerts sent to my phone so I can deal with them.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Xi,

Any idea of how to link a Droid to the Horde Email system we use? I did my work email today and it is an exchange system. If I'm not mistaken the Horde is an IMAP system and it is more involved. I would love to have site stuff alerts sent to my phone so I can deal with them.
    The setup for IMAP is pretty straightforward.

All you need is the mail server address and your password. All the rest of the stuff is usually default settings like ports and what have you.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I attempted to set it up using the usual settings and it did not work.

We need to get the info from the bossman.

I was able to set up my POP accounts without issue.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    As much time that was spent preparing this, you'd think this would be taken care of.

You guys see any noticeable issues since you updated?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TweQ0VJhUD0&feature=pl ayer_embedded]YouTube - 2-D Graphics Slowdown After Motorola Droid 2.1 Update[/ame]

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Android FTW!

Apple's iPhone OS 4.0 No Threat to Android - PCWorld

For the rest of the smartphone world, however, these features are old news. The truth about Apple's iPhone 4.0 update is that -- despite Steve Jobs' tendency to describe it with words like "amazing," "wonderful," and "delightful" -- it doesn't offer anything substantial that Android-powered devices haven't offered for quite some time.

That's why the iPhone's new software alone shouldn't pose much threat to Android's ever-increasing growth within the mobile market.

Mike325 is offline I like to ride on the fence!
    Verified LEO
    Yay, I learned stuff from this thread..

I've had my droid since november, but it's been bone stock since day one with only a few apps.. So hopefully you guys can help me a bit.

1. The one thing I find actually lacking the most on the droid is the phone, specifically speed dialing. I do miss being able to hold down buttons on my BB pearl to iniate a speed dial. A friend showed me how to set icons up to direct dial, but I now basically have an entire 1/3 home screens dedicated to icons.. Is there an easier way?
    2. Default MP3 player works fine, but making playlists is such a tedious hassle. Anyone have any solutions there?
    3. I'm tired of waking up to the same song every morning. I'd really love to be able to set my alarm to play either pandora or from a playlist?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    1: Shortcuts are the best way I know of. I have just a couple on the main screen for the most common stuff like "Home." I have the next home screen dedicated to Text and Phone shortcuts. I use AnyCut app for making them.

2: MixZing will automatically create playlists based on the Genre and other meta tags in the music. I don't use the stock player at ll. MixZing is the way to go.

3: Don't use the alarm much, can't help you there.

Mike325 is offline I like to ride on the fence!
    Verified LEO
    Any reason you use Anycut? Making those icons is built in to the default..

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike325 View Post
    Any reason you use Anycut? Making those icons is built in to the default..
    It may work differently on the Droid. It's easier than what's on my phone. If you have a profile picture for the contact that shows up as the icon too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information