Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mike325 is offline I like to ride on the fence!
    Verified LEO
    Also, I'm not really clear.. what is google voice?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike325 View Post
    Also, I'm not really clear.. what is google voice?
    A portable phone number from Google that you control.

You can port it to your phone, or to any other phone. You can send calls to voicemail, or listen to them as they leave voicemail.

You can use it as a public number, never revealing your actual cell phone numbers. With the Droid or any smartphone with the app, you can make outgoing calls and texts using the Google number.

Get an invite from someone and check it out!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Google Voice is a Google App that is currently in a limited run similar to Gmail when it came out. It could take you at least a few months to get an account after signing up, unless you score an invite.

GV can be used a couple ways, in conjunction with your existing phone number or you can get a new number from the service. I got a new number, it's also more feature rich. All your calling is handled through GV's servers utilizing your data and voice connection. The benefit is that you can alter the way you handle incoming calls. I have it set up so that anyone not in my contacts will be screened and has to announce who they are when the call me. When I answer the phone I hear the screen and decide whether to answer or send to voicemail. Your voicemail is all handled online and GV will provide transcripts for them too. I handle all my SMS through the service as well. You can archive and store it all like Gmail. I also block numbers for citizens I end up using my phone to call at work. If they call me back after blocking them in GV they hear a phone company recording that my number has been disconnected.

You can use GV with any phone but if you have Android the app takes over your dialing and calling so the phone behaves like normal. I think the Blackberry App does the same thing but the integration in Android is tight.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    By the way, I just started using CallTrack app on my phone. You create a calendar for tracking phone calls and link it to CallTrack when you set up the app. All my incoming and outgoing calls are stored in the Gmail calendar. It shows the contact and duration. Very slick for saving your call history and you don't have to worry about your phone being lost or wiped.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I already posted about CallTrack. I really like that.

I've recently purchased Scan2PDF which is a pay app. You use your camera and the app stores the pictures into a PDF file. You can use it as a document scanner or just a way to store pics in a PDF file.

Last week I had a clusterfuck shoplifting case. I was eventually able to recover all the stolen merchandise after the store was closed. My evidence technician photographed it all for me but I had to put it into the property room. I used Scan2PDF on my phone and emailed the PDF to my work account. All the pics were saved into one single PDF. I was able to use that file the next day so loss prevention could see exactly what was stolen and give me prices. I've used it a few times recently and it's been handy.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I'm still trying to find an app that will tell me what the different hazmat placards mean. In case I happen upon a tanker truck or train cluster I would like to know what is leaking ect.
    There's an "Emergency Response Guide" in the Android market but it has bad reviews. The iPhone has HazRef which is a paid app and has some 3,000 hazmats in it. I think your best shot at this point with Android is to bookmark a website and search from there. Keep your eye out for HazRef in the meantime...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "Talk To Me" Free app that lets you speak English into the phone and it repeats in Spanish, German, French ect. The person can hear the translation vial spoken word or read it on the screen. With voice to text this is really handy.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just downloaded a free metal detector app and have been using it all day to see how it works. Not a bad tool once you get the settings set up right. Had to tweak mine since the Droid is in a Body Glove. This did make a friend with an Iphone a bit jealous.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ok, now I'm rockin' 2.1 on my Sapphire 32B also known as the T-Mobile MyTouch 3G.

I just finished loading CyanogenMod 5.0.7.

Part of the upgrade process this time around was a factory wipe/reset. Currently Titanium Backup is restoring all my apps and data.

I'm pretty excited! If you have rooted your device you have to get yourself the Titanium Backup. It's paying for itself right now since I don't have to go download and install the 123 apps I had on my phone.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Here's an interesting article about why Android doesn't need an app manager. I've been running one to kill apps that aren't running but developers specifically address this issue. Android will kill apps when it needs memory. It keeps stuff in memory to speed up when you need the app, then gets rid of it if you need the memory. I've completely rethought my use of the app manager.

Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    I use the task killer to help conserve battery life. I've seen the Droid shut down apps on it's own, but I like to kill just about everything except email.

Oh, and I can't wait for Froyo (2.2 in case you're wondering) to come out next month!
    You really don't need to. Android will keep an app in memory to speed up response when you activate that app. With a few exceptions they aren't running and consuming battery life. Read the article I posted.

For improving battery life check out: [Suggestions] Best practice in Improving Battery Life for CM 5.0.7 - CyanogenMod Forum

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The best battery saver I have found is "Screebl". I have my display set on a 15 second usage timer down from 1 minute. With screebl that is plenty. The display will always be your biggest drain with a Droid or anything similar.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    You really don't need to. Android will keep an app in memory to speed up response when you activate that app. With a few exceptions they aren't running and consuming battery life. Read the article I posted.

For improving battery life check out: [Suggestions] Best practice in Improving Battery Life for CM 5.0.7 - CyanogenMod Forum
    Interesting.

Without messing around with the phone too much, the task killer has been great. I can actually make it 24 hours now without the phone completely dying on me. I had a friend buy a Droid as well and she was upset about the short battery life too. She does the task killer now and is very happy. It's a simple fix for those of us that don't want to dink around with the phone settings too much. I might delve into the above link sometime down the road, but for now task killer will suffice
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    Interesting.

Without messing around with the phone too much, the task killer has been great. I can actually make it 24 hours now without the phone completely dying on me. I had a friend buy a Droid as well and she was upset about the short battery life too. She does the task killer now and is very happy. It's a simple fix for those of us that don't want to dink around with the phone settings too much. I might delve into the above link sometime down the road, but for now task killer will suffice
    One of the articles I've read said the task killers decrease battery life. Because Android intentionally starts apps to keep them in memory, when you are killing them the system will restart them. This thrashes the battery until the app is in memory. Once it's there it sits without consuming any juice. With few exceptions it's not actually performing anything and not using juice. It's just sitting and waiting for you to use it. The more you kill the apps, the more android has to start them, eating battery. You'll use less battery if you just leave it alone.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    While I don't have any Android devices yet, I expect to have one or two in the very near future. I am interested in the:

-Motorola i1 (Nextel)

-Garminfone (T-Mobile)

I am hoping that I will be able to just pull the SIM card from my work i680 and use it on the Motorola i1. Work doesn't provide data, just regular voice and Direct Connect, so I will have to see if it would even be worth my while to get this.

One of my personal phone is a Garmin Nuvifone G60, which I unlocked, and use on T-Mobile. The Garmin Nuvifone G60 received generally dismal reviews, but I like mine. I use it as a GPS in my take home unmarked as well as for calls and texting. I am anticipating that the Garminfone should be even better.

Is there anything I should know about Android before I spring for it? I should point out I have some BlackBerry experience also.
    If you are going with T-Mobile the phone I would most recommend is the Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone. ... You will be getting blazing speeds and a gorgeous screen. You'll also get an unlocked phone that is easily rooted and modded as well if you want to (don't have to if that's not your thing.) You'll also be able to use Google Maps Navigation for navigation if you want. If you want a more fully featured navigation program you can purchase nav apps. You'll be better off I think with that route than the route with the Garmin phone. As far as I know that's rather untested and unknown right now.

T-Mobile also is coming out with the MyTouch Slide with will have a hardware keyboard and will be less expensive than the Nexus One.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread, because I'm not a Droid user and a lot of this stuff doesn't make sense to me. BUT, I have been hearing a lot of buzz about the Droid Incredible on VZW. Thoughts?
    It's a very impressive phone. Devs are working hard on getting it rooted. The one drawback is the demand for parts is so high the phone is back ordered until the end of June. When Verizon picked up the Incredible it dropped plans to carry the Nexus One. Very similar feature set.

Check out some benchmarks: Motorola Shadow Benchmarked, Looking Pretty Zippy | Android Phone Fans

There's another Droid phone coming out probably this summer. There's speculation it's the Droid 2, possibly the Xtreme. The Shadow also looks badass!

In other news Qualcomm just announced a new 1.2 ghz Snapdragon DUAL CORE processor. Two processors on one board designed for the mobile market. The next couple years are going to be really interesting in the smart phone market. Holiday Inn Express is testing a new app where you can check into your hotel and open your door with just your phone. Bypass the front desk and never pick up a key. As this smart phone technology gets more pervasive we're really going to see some cool stuff.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Ok I'm lazy. I just don't feel like checking it myself. Is "Droid" a phone or a platform for which a phone to operate? I say this because when an iPhone is referred to it is the phone specifically. I thought Droid was the same thing.
    Android is an operating system for mobile platforms including cell phones, netbooks, and tablets. It is found on a variety of platforms and various cellular carriers all over the world. It is open source, with open development, led by Google. That is why it is extremely popular and the last 18 months have seen exponential growth with the system.

Verizon has licensed the rights from Lucas Arts to use the "Droid" moniker with its Android system line. There have been several phones by both Motorola and HTC on Verizon that carry the "Droid" name. The flagship of this line is THE Droid made by Motorola. There was also the HTC Droid Eris and now the HTC Droid Incredible. There are more Android phones coming to Verizon and they will also be called Droid, including a rumored Droid 2.

The discussion here tends to focus on Android itself since that applies to multiple phones. There has been some specific Droid talk though since a few users here have that specifically.

Right now in the US you can find Android phones on T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon with Verizon being the most popular. T-Mo pioneered Android phones in the US, Sprint is offering the first "4G" phone this summer along with some other offerings the last year like the Hero. AT&T has crippled their initial Android offerings by locking down the system and forcing Yahoo apps instead of Google apps. They are getting more phones soon and everyone is wondering if they will also cripple them.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Here's how Google Voice works with Android phones. First off, GV is NOT a Voice Over IP service. You are using your telephone service in conjunction with your data plan.

GV will work on any telephone. You select the number you want to call on your GV page and it will call you. Your incoming call will be your GV number. When you answer, GV will call the number you are trying to reach and connect you.

On your smart phone with GV app it's a smoother process. GV takes over your phone's dialer and contacts etc in the background. You don't know you are using it. You select a number to call and GV will make a call to a GV telephone center. It uses your data plan to notify the data center you are calling and who you are trying to reach. The data center answers your call and forwards you to the number you are calling and it passes along your caller id.

When someone calls your GV number, they are really calling the GV data center. The data center then forwards the call to your phone and passes along the caller id information. On your phone it looks like someone is calling you, and you see their caller id info. By having the data center intercept that call and pass it to you, your GV services like call screening, call blocking, and voicemail can all be utilized.

If you have a calling plan with a "circle" of friends you are allowed to call unlimited (like me) you can set up your GV to utilize it and no matter who you call, it will be covered under your plan.

When GV passes a call on to you, it's really calling you with your GV number. The caller id data is sent to the GV app on your phone and is displayed with your incoming call. Your cell carrier however only sees your GV number dialing your phone. Add your GV number to your calling circle. All your incoming GV calls now are free in your calling circle.

When you dial out to someone, your phone will usually dial the same number to get the GV data center. This can be tricky though, you need to watch it. GV has switched this number a few times on me. If you program this number into your circle, no matter who you call the phone company only sees you calling the GV data center which is in your plan. Again, no matter who you call it's covered because you're really calling GV which is in your plan.

To find out what the GV number is, when you call out on your phone using the GV app, it will tell you something like "calling via google voice 804-214-6644." That 804 number is the GV number my phone has been programed to call. That's in my "circle."

Clear as mud?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Android: The Three Things You Need to Know First | AndroidGuys

Congratulations! You just became the proud owner of your first Android phone: an EVO 4G, a MyTouch Slide, or one of the dozens of others available. Using Android is fairly intuitive, but there are a few things to know that will help you get comfortable more quickly.

1. Android has its head in the cloud.

Open up the Contacts on your new Android phone for the first time, and you may be surprised to find your friends already listed there. Your Google contacts are your Android contacts, and you can manage them on your phone, in Gmail, or at Google Contacts. Either way, they'll all stay in sync. Or--if you prefer--just sync certain contact groups with your phone. Install the official Twitter app and the official Facebook app, and you can keep contacts from those two sites in sync with your phone's contacts, too.

And the cloud-connectedness goes beyond contacts. Pictures on your phone sync with Picasa Web Albums, and vice versa. So do voicemails in your Google Voice account, favorite places and custom maps in Google Maps, your agenda in Google Calendar, and your search history in the browser.

2. Pull down the windowshade for your notifications.

If you've installed an app, connected your phone to another computer
    via USB or received an email, text message, IM, or voicemail, you know that notifications show up in the little horizontal bar across the top of the screen. But did you know you can touch that bar and drag it down for more information on them? Then tap on an individual notification to go straight to the new email, to open the app you just installed, etc. And you can pull down the notification bar from anywhere, whether you're on a homescreen or in an app-- if you see the bar, you can pull it down to access your current notifications.

If you already know how to do this, you no doubt take it for granted and may think it's silly to point out, but I've known folks who've gone weeks without knowing it's possible. It's a great way to handle notifications--but only if you know it exists.

3. When in doubt, press longer.

"Long press" is to Android like "right click" is to Windows. If you can tap it, you can probably also tap and hold for contextual options and more functionality. Don't like the spot you dropped that app shortcut on your desktop? Press and hold for just a moment, and when you feel the haptic buzz, drag it to somewhere else. Press and hold on an empty spot on the desktop, and you'll be rewarded with a menu that lets you create shortcuts, add widgets or folders, and change the wallpaper. It works in apps, too: long press on a message in Gmail to choose to archive it, star it, or perform another action. In the browser, long press on a link to choose to bookmark it, share it, or any of several other options. Also in the browser, you can long press the Back button to access your History.

Long press Home from anywhere to see and choose from apps you've used recently.

Long press Search from anywhere to bring up voice search.

Long press Menu from anywhere to bring up a virtual keyboard. Try it, for example, in your list of contacts. Tap and hold Menu to bring up the keyboard, then start typing someone's name. The list of contacts will instantly filter to those that match what you typed.

When in doubt, long press, and you'll probably learn something else you can do.

Now, new Android owner, you know enough to be dangerous. Enjoy your phone and keep an eye on AndroidGuys.com for more great tips and tricks.
    Read the comments, more good tips there!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm typing this using Swype. Get it from beta.swype.com. This is fast and badass.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information