Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

***ANDROID Links, app recommendations, and technical explanations here ONLY.***

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Any drawbacks to doing that, such as overworking the hardware?
    Yeah, several....

1. It's reversible, but you can't take it in to Verizon rooted or they won't support it or warranty it.

2. There is a potential that if you run a mod written by an idiot that you will not receive support for OTA updates. In other words, when you turn your phone on Verizon sometimes likes to push the latest version of the OS onto it - and if you run a rooted phone the new OS version might brick your phone or just not work with the mods.

3. You could damage the equipment, but usually processors just shut down when they get to that point. Again, sort of problematic if you want your phone to work. I personally have not seen a small device do that, but it is possible.

4. You *can* fuck up the process if you interrupt it, which would brick the phone.

I reversed mine to stock for the moment until Verizon pushes the new 2.1 OS. Then I'll root it again.

BTW, stay away from the ERIS for your wife. My wife is having battery life issues. I have been able to resolve a lot of them by programming, but you should not have to do that out of the box.

So far I can't stand the fact that HTC insists on using their UI on all their phones, which is why I stayed with the Droid. The Droid also has a separate GPU and the HTC phones share processor time.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Mac's hit on the major issues. Stick with the CyanogenMod and you'll be fine. Mac, when 2.1 comes out he'll integrate it into his mod. I've got a lot of bits and pieces of 2.1 on my 1.6 MyTouch3G because he integrates them in his mods. He's got mods out for the G1/MT3g and the Nexus One/Droid. Running his mods is the best reason for rooting your phone.

Keep your eyes open with Verizon, they will be announcing the Nexus One and the Incredible soon. Both are high powered phones and some say the Incredible is the Nexus One "done right." Neither have a keyboard which seems to be the chief complaint of the Droid. Even folks who like the hard keyboards complain Motorola screwed it up on the Droid. So if that's not your cup of tea the Nexus One and Incredible will be the way to go. The Incredible will come with HTC's Sense which the interface they park on the Android OS. If the modders get into the Incredible (very likely with Cyanogen) you won't have to worry about Sense.

Stay away from the Eris. Mac's right, it has issues. It was recently rooted but a friend at work bricked his and it's turning out to be a sketchy process that may not work right. Verizon's selling out their stock and that'll be it for the Eris.

Absolutely Android 5 Reasons to switch to CyanogenMod 5.0.5

CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Donut tree.

CyanogenMod Forum -> Motorola Droid
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Keep your eyes open with Verizon, they will be announcing the Nexus One and the Incredible soon. Both are high powered phones and some say the Incredible is the Nexus One "done right." Neither have a keyboard which seems to be the chief complaint of the Droid. Even folks who like the hard keyboards complain Motorola screwed it up on the Droid.
    I like the keyboard - it took a day to get used to.

The Nexus One has a faster processor, but it shares time for the GPU.

The Droid runs a separate GPU, and you can clock the proc to match the Nexus.

I know nothing about the Incredible, but it sounds neat!
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Also something to consider, but Verizon uses CDMA - this limits you to the United States, Canada, and a few other countries.

That said, CDMA is *light years* more secure as far as digital formats go.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The Droid has been lasting my whole day without issue, even with heavy use.

It's a lithium ion battery (almost all the new phones are so equipped) so it doesn't develop a memory.

You *do* want to make sure you turn off the wi-fi and blue-tooth when you aren't using them, and when I have wi-fi on I turn off the 3G.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If you had to do it over would you wait for one of these new HTC phones. My feeling is this is the time to get a Droid. The bugs have had time to get worked out and it will soon be the second best phone aka the best buy price wise. I really don't think I would root mine just because I don't want to screw anything up. Not to mention you have one and can share your tips and what not with me.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If you had to do it over would you wait for one of these new HTC phones. My feeling is this is the time to get a Droid. The bugs have had time to get worked out and it will soon be the second best phone aka the best buy price wise. I really don't think I would root mine just because I don't want to screw anything up.
    I never play that game.

Anything you ever buy tech wise is going to be eclipsed by the next best thing.

I like my Droid, even in stock form.

I was not impressed with the HTC Eris, although my wife likes hers.

Women are often impressed with shape and feel over performance, nothing new there.

I felt the Droid was the right choice, and I'm happy with it and have no buyers remorse.

If you are the guy who always needs to be bleeding edge, then wait. I used to be that guy with everything tech, but now I have a mortgage and two boys and an expensive shooting habit.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The Droid is a great phone. If the hardware keyboard's not your thing, wait for the N1 or the Incredible.

If you have any Sprint 4G in your area you may want to check out their new Supersonic (EVO I think they call it now.) That phone is the biggest, badass phone. It has the 1ghz snapdragon processor, Android, front facing and rear facing camera (video conferencing?) and HDMI output (stream internet HD content to your TV) and can operate as a 4G wi-fi hotspot out of the box (no rooting required like mine.) This will be the phone Apple tries to beat with it's next iPhone. If I had Sprint4G around here I'd get this phone and lose the landline broadband at home.

Battery life on these things is pretty good considering you are walking around with a computer squeezed into a phone case. That said, if you are going to be at work, make sure you have the car charger. If you are using the phone, especially any navigation, or music, you will need the car charger.

I plug my phone into the car's laptop USB port. I use it to play music and podcasts all night. I Bluetooth the phone to a Bluetooth speaker, that FM tx's to my stock crap Ford stereo. If you have a take home and can modify the radio just get one with Bluetooth. I unplugged my phone today at 1030 and had some heavy data usage this afternoon, I now have 23% battery. Not bad but you'll at least want to leave it plugged in at night. No more can you go a couple days on a charge with your phone.

If you get it this weekend let us know and Mac and I can share our favorite apps. I know a few to start with.

Mac, if you are going to try the CyanogenMod get the Titanium backup first. You can restore all your apps after the upgrade, rather than reinstall all that crap.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hmmmm, apps.

I finally found a data reader I like a lot called mobiletag.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My Favorite Apps:

AnyCut - Create direct call and text icons for the desktop for specific users.

Bedside - Pay app but great for setting up like an alarm clock.

Been using a Backup for Root but it has limitations. I've just begun using Titanium Backup. Again, only for root users.

DirecTV app for setting my DVR remotely.

Fandango - great app for finding local theater and movie info.

Facebook for Android.

FlightStats -pay app that tracks airports, flights, weather, and delays.

Google Sky Map -awesome "Gee Whiz" app that I actually find useful for setting up my telescope tracking.

Light Racer 3D and Robo Defense for games. Worth the small price.

Linda Manager is great file manager app.

MixZing is amazing for your MP3's. It automatically downloads album art and info.

Scan2PDF -pay app that converts what you aim the camera at into a PDF file. It can create multiple pages for a single document.

RingDroid will let you edit your MP3's into ringtones and alert notifications.

Shazam -will identify music you are listening to and give you album/artist info. It's awesome!

Droid Record turns your phone into a digital recorder and you can email yourself the files.

Twidroid for Twitter.

StopWatch for a countdown timer and stopwatch.

WeatherBug for weather and weather widget.

WhatZip shows you on a map what zip code you are in. (I use this for reports where I'm not sure what zip my call is in.)

WeFi Connect for scanning, and connecting to Wi-Fi networks.

Wi-Fi Lock keeps your Wi-Fi connection active when your phone sleeps. Drains the battery but you don't have to wait for it to reconnect when you wake up the phone.

And of course, Wireless Tether for Root Users. This is available for Droid users. Google it and download it off the web, move it to your SD card and use Linda File Manager to install it. Turns your phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    App list:

Facebook

Advanced Task Killer

Astro File Utility

Bubble (it's a level, kinda neat)

Compass

Droid Light (flashlight application)

fring (messenger app)

Google Sky Map (star chart that reads the sky for you)

mobiletag (tag and upc reader)

Real Blackjack

Skype Mobile

Google Shopper

Texas Holdem

The Weather Channel

I add and delete stuff all the time.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You should have an app killer program. I'm using Advanced Task Killer Free. Shit you aren't using will start itself up and eat resources all the time. I use it constantly. I set it to ignore certain apps I always want running and then periodically I go in there and have it wipe out everything else too.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I had also heard that the app killer apps were not needed. I suppose you found otherwise?
    This is true - linux based systems put background applications to sleep in a way that does not use resources and the Android OS is no different.

HOWEVER, if the app is actually doing something to keep it awake that can put a drain on the phone.

I keep an app killer because a lot of the applications do not shut down well. The task killer is a convenient way to get out of them.

ETA: Reading Xiphos's post it looks like we use the same one. I like it.

I have not paid for any apps, I am only using freeware.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I have a problem with Amazon MP3 starting randomly in the background. I've never used the app. Other stuff does the same thing, like the Alarm. The task killer is a nice way to get rid of them. You can see with Advanced Task Killer how much available memory gets freed up when you kill the app.

The Droid has a lot more memory than my MT3G so it's probably more critical for me than you guys. But it's handy to have, and it's free...
    Amazon MP3 does that to me too, as does the alarm clock.

I suffer from the same compulsion

Windows guys will always try and kill procs, but the tests actually show that ATK can slow down your phone more than it helps you. I gather this is because the phone is constantly using resources to turn back on things you shut off, rather than waking them from sleep state.

Linux just doesn't handle resources the way Windows does.

Like you, I still find it useful - there are apps that do not enter sleep state and there are apps with no apparent way to shut them down.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    How much physical memory do you have?
    192 MB RAM / 512 MB ROM

The issue for me is limited space to run a bunch of apps simultaneously. I have a few that I like running all the time with widgets. When other stuff like Amazon MP3 starts itself and uses that memory it can really start effecting performance. It's a necessity for me to shut them down.

In the fall/winter I anticipate moving and having to switch carriers and I'll get something bigger and faster. This phone is essentially the G1 without the keyboard so it's slightly better than first gen Android. The stuff coming out now is rocking Android.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Some more Droid discussion. Linkswaps for both sites:

Droid - SeatStaysUp.com - Beer, Babes, Cars, Guns, Sports, Games!

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Apps:

Gotta have fun with Trapster

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I just downloaded the PayPal app. Add it to my favorites!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information