Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Applications for Android Market

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    OK here is some of the nerd in me:

Tricorder: Turn your Android phone into a multi-sensor environmental monitor Android and Me

Tricorder App for Android phones. Love the solar activity data even if it is a day old. I also like the ability to check my cell signal strength and the strengths of detectable wifi networks.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    I love this game also. Look at high scores they are crazy 113 is my best
    No shit!

Hit my personal best a couple weeks ago, 187. Still got a LONG ways to go.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    For your Fantasy Football fans:

Six Fantasy Football Apps

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/09/0...android-phone/
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

11001001 is offline Bona fide Cybercop
    Verified LEO
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it Beantown.
    I've had my Droid X since the day it came out, and have been going app crazy. Haven't paid for one yet

Here's what I like:

Utilities:
    Advanced Task Killer Free - Trust me, you need this.
    AndroZip - File Browser/App Manager/Task Manager
    Car Finder - Helps you remember where you parked by GPS tagging, Garage floor & Section, or Photo. Great tool if you have to go into the woods after someone. If you can take the time, tag the spot where you head into the woods, etc., then you can use the GPS to find your way back.
    ConvertPad - Conversions for more units than you knew existed.
    Compass - Good, but don't even think about trusting it inside the cruiser.
    Counter - A Counter. 'nuff said.
    Dictionary.com - Dictionary
    DroidLight - Turns on the Flash LED to use as a flashlight. Much better than lighting up the screen with all white.
    Lookout - Must Have. Antivirus, Data Backup, and lost deivce finder.
    RealCalc - Scientific calculator
    ScanLife - Barcode/QR Scanner
    SpeedView - Just downloaded, not tried yet, GPS speedometer.
    Spirit Level Plus - Three bubble levels in one!
    StopWatch - What it says
    Wifi Analyzer - Searches for Wifi Signals, and gives you tons of info about them.

Games:
    aTilt 3D Labyrinth Free - Awesome Labyrinth Game that uses the accelerometer for controls
    Find It Family Guy/Simpsons/Etc. - Spot the differences
    Jewels - Bejeweled.
    Paper Toss - Throw the crumpled-up paper into the trash. Watch out for cross winds.
    Replica Island - Action game, very involved, pretty cool.
    Solitaire - yep.
    TrafficJam - Move the cars and trucked to get the sports car out.
    Word Search - uh huh.

For Fun:
    Bic(R) Concernt Lighter - A Bic lighter with a number of different skins. Great for power ballads if you don't smoke.
    Bugle Calls - 16 U.S. Army bugle calls.
    Color Flashlight - A bunch of little features like strobe, message board, etc.
    Daily Dilbert - Because you're not cynical enough.
    FxCamera - Cool photo effects
    PaintJoy - Drawing program (Good for kids)
    Pandora - Stream your Pandora stations to your device - WARNING: Battery/Data hog!
    Peter Griffin/Stewie Griffin Soundboard - sssssssssss aaaaahhhhhhhhh, sssssssssss aaaaahhhhhhhhh, sssssssssss aaaaahhhhhhhhh...
    Retro Camera Free - More cool photo effects
    Screen Crack - "Can I see your Droid?" "Sure... Awwww! What'd you do!?"
    SoundHound Demo - Identify songs by singing, humming, or holding up to the radio - 5 free/month
    Tazer - hehehe
    Toddler Lock - Lock out phone functions and displays shapes/lines where you touch or press buttons while bells sound. If you tell your three-year-old it's a game, he'll be none the wiser
    Touch! 4kids - Similar to ToddlerLock - The kids try to touch the animals as they go flying across the screen.
    Vignette Demo - Probably the most inclusive cool photo effects. I might pay for the full version of this one.

Five-0 Already mentioned Tricorder
    and thanks Xiphos for Layar - Wicked cool

Hope I didn't repeat any...
    In Memoriam: Officer James C. McBride, MPDC - EOW 8-15-2005

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Please remain seated until the ride has come to a complete stop. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. May cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added. Not designed or intended for use in on-line control of aircraft, air traffic, aircraft navigation or aircraft communications; or in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility. Container may explode if heated. May contain traces of various nuts and seeds. Opinions expressed are solely those of the provider, and no other endorsement should be assumed or inferred.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yeah I've been taking a break from talk radio with Pandora and rocking out while riding the beat.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

APB Guest
    Dammit, 11001001, that's like half my afternoon you just wasted. Must... find... 4G... connection... download... faster.

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

Applications for Android Market

I bought a used Garminfone recently and I am getting into the Android applications on it. I know it is probably going to sound pretty mundane to many people here, but I simply wanted one device that would be:

-cell phone

-GPS (real GPS not just a phone application)

-Slacker Radio

Last night was the first time since I have it that I went on a horse back ride and it worked great for all of the above. Now it is time to buy accessories. I think I need a:

-carrying case

-16 GB micro SD card

-spare battery

-stereo headset with microphone

-protective silicone skin

The Garminfone only has Android version 1.6. What am I missing by not having the most current version of Android?
    Last edited by Jim1348; 09-10-10 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Details

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    I think I need a:

-carrying case

-16 GB micro SD card

-spare battery-stereo headset with microphone

-protective silicone skin

The Garminfone only has Android version 1.6. What am I missing by not having the most current version of Android?
    Definitely get a protective skin or case (probably don't need both.) You will drop it and the case can save the phone. I like the silicone gel skins best.

The Garminfone was never really popular and suffered poor sales. As a result there's not much in the way of development for the phone as far as downloading hacks and new ROMs.

That said if it does what you want, and what you bought it for, just leave it. 2.1 and 2.2 offer some nice features (and 2.2 has some nice performance improvements.) But don't worry about that stuff if the phone is what you want.

Keep in mind for your next phone though, there are some nice GPS navigation programs like CoPilot and TeleAtlas have off line apps (all the data is on your phone.) Perhaps by the time you are looking for your next device Garmin and TomTom will be onboard too.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    This is a silly question (as I don't have anything other than a very old nokia phone, so have no idea what you are talking about) but what are those pattern things in some posts?
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    This is a silly question (as I don't have anything other than a very old nokia phone, so have no idea what you are talking about) but what are those pattern things in some posts?
    It's a 2D barcode called a QR Code. Our phones have an app that scans them. They have the link to the Market for that app to make downloading it easier. QR-Code Generator

Verified LEO
    Well I've decided to move into the modern era and have just bought a phone off Ebay.

An HTC Desire. Hope I can work the thing.

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Let's see what that shows.
    Oldest brass band in West Somerset?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well I've decided to move into the modern era and have just bought a phone off Ebay.

An HTC Desire. Hope I can work the thing.
    The Desire is a good phone, I think you'll like it!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Oldest brass band in West Somerset?
    Well that's bloody clever.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    SetCPU for Root Users

Another reason to root your phone folks. SetCPU allows you to overclock your CPU and squeeze more performance out of it. You can also create profiles to vary your CPU usage. I don't need it overclocked when it's idle so when my screen is off it scales down. It will also scale down when my battery life drops below a certain threshold (I set it at 20%.)

There are also predefined themes like "Performance" (max CPU all the time) and "On Demand" (scales it automatically depending on your use.)

Read the developer's thread here: SetCPU for Root Users [2.0.3] It's over nine thousand 09/03/2010 - xda-developers

You can download it for free from that thread. If you like the app and want to support the project you can buy it from the Market.

Verified LEO
    Hey Xiphos, when my new phone arrives, will I have to learn Geek Speak too?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hey Xiphos, when my new phone arrives, will I have to learn Geek Speak too?
    The nice thing about these phones is that they're the ultimate geek phone that you can modify and hack endlessly and they are super simple and easy to use. You don't have to do any modification or hacking to love your phone. Use this thread to download the apps we recommended and enjoy!

Verified LEO
    Looks like the seller is trying to back out. Keeps saying Paypal haven't paid him, whereas Paypal say they have. Might not have to learn Geek after all.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Unrevoked is out with support for rooting more devices, including the HTC Incredible and Sprint EVO.

1 Click Root, it doesn't get more simple than this!

Unrevoked Returns as Version 3.21 for One-Click Rooting | Android Phone Fans

Verified LEO
    Well I am now officially a Geek. I have and android phone! HTC Desire, just wish I could work it.

Hey Xiphos, where do I find that QR Reader thingy?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information