Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Applications for Android Market

11001001 is offline Bona fide Cybercop
    Verified LEO
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it Beantown.
    Just found BizCard Reader (Search for Business Card Recognition in the Android Market) by Hotcard Tech

Take a picture of a business card with your camera, and it uses OCR to then create a contact from the business card. You can review/edit for accuracy before saving.

Very handy.
    In Memoriam: Officer James C. McBride, MPDC - EOW 8-15-2005

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Please remain seated until the ride has come to a complete stop. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. May cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added. Not designed or intended for use in on-line control of aircraft, air traffic, aircraft navigation or aircraft communications; or in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility. Container may explode if heated. May contain traces of various nuts and seeds. Opinions expressed are solely those of the provider, and no other endorsement should be assumed or inferred.

11001001 is offline Bona fide Cybercop
    Verified LEO
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it Beantown.
    Thanks to a hot tip from APB, Anyone with a Droid X can update to Froyo 2.3 today!

In Memoriam: Officer James C. McBride, MPDC - EOW 8-15-2005

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Please remain seated until the ride has come to a complete stop. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. May cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added. Not designed or intended for use in on-line control of aircraft, air traffic, aircraft navigation or aircraft communications; or in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility. Container may explode if heated. May contain traces of various nuts and seeds. Opinions expressed are solely those of the provider, and no other endorsement should be assumed or inferred.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    Well I am now officially a Geek. I have and android phone! HTC Desire, just wish I could work it.

Hey Xiphos, where do I find that QR Reader thingy?
    Go to the market and download Barcode Scanner.

Download the other apps in this thread too. Have fun.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Go to the market and download Barcode Scanner.

Download the other apps in this thread too. Have fun.
    Thanks for that.

Well, I can now see what stars are where. See the weather anywhere in the world. Sync my phone with my PC. Tell the time everywhere and listen to nearly all the music I own. The novelty will soon wear off though, I'm sure.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    Thanks for that.

and listen to nearly all the music I own.
    How have you converted all those old 78s onto MP3?

the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    How have you converted all those old 78s onto MP3?

You Luddite! I just played them on the gramaphone and used record on the phone. Fool.

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

APB Guest
    That hand cranking must really wear you out after a few albums.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by APB View Post
    I wouldn't know. I have the butler do it.

Verified LEO
    Found a fun one. Plane Finder (by Pinkfoot). It shows what planes are near your location and routes etc. When you touch a plane , it tells you the airline, flight number, height etc. It's not free but is only 2.99 ( $4.75 or so.)

It's not exactly 'real time', as they've added a slight delay for security purposes.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by APB View Post
    That's what she said
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I set up an appbrain account and started going through this tread adding apps to the list for when I get my device. Very helpful.

For the Android savvy, what is your thoughts on LauncherPro? Also, I added a different weather and clock widget to the list that looks like the default Sense UI widgets on the HTC devices, it's simply named "Weather Forecast & clock widget". Had any problems with these additional widgets?
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Appbrain is handy because you can install the apps on your phone from the website. Slick!

Launcher Pro is BAD ASS. I love it. It is the only launcher I use and is a great replacement for stock. The dev is re-writing it from the ground up to get it to run better. It's got great widgets so it's worth the $ for the Plus version.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Among the piles of apps I've already downloaded, I added TiKL yesterday for the push to talk app. Love the concept, and have already used it with some work buddies....but I did find my phone to be a bit laggy after ending a convo this last time. Not sure if it was due to that app or something else.

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Among the piles of apps I've already downloaded, I added TiKL yesterday for the push to talk app. Love the concept, and have already used it with some work buddies....but I did find my phone to be a bit laggy after ending a convo this last time. Not sure if it was due to that app or something else.
    I think TiKL records you and then uses your data connection to send it to the other user. There's going to be lag involved. Especially if your connection isn't great or the network (yours or the other users) is bogged down that will dramatically effect performance.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I had TiKL, but I was not wild about all the permissions that app had. Just something to be aware of.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I think TiKL records you and then uses your data connection to send it to the other user. There's going to be lag involved. Especially if your connection isn't great or the network (yours or the other users) is bogged down that will dramatically effect performance.

That chats have been very snappy. The lag seemed to have come after I dismissed the conversation and left the app. I haven't had a chance to try it again to see if that was the problem or if it was something else.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I had TiKL, but I was not wild about all the permissions that app had. Just something to be aware of.
    I looked at it -- but wasn't impressed because it seemed that everyone pretty much had to have it.

I've been hearing rumors about an app to be called Crosstalk that's supposed to be true cross-platform instant messenger service, including reaching Blackberry Messenger. Don't know... development seems slow, but it'd be great. And they're saying it wouldn't require everyone to download and run the app.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    I looked at it -- but wasn't impressed because it seemed that everyone pretty much had to have it.

I've been hearing rumors about an app to be called Crosstalk that's supposed to be true cross-platform instant messenger service, including reaching Blackberry Messenger. Don't know... development seems slow, but it'd be great. And they're saying it wouldn't require everyone to download and run the app.
    That would be great but I'm not holding my breath. Their website says it's coming in August 2010 and I'm not optimistic that BlackBerry will give up the access to BBM. BBM is about all that's keeping them afloat these days. They just bought The Astonishing Tribe which has done some amaaaazing GUI work for Android. I suspect BB is hoping TAT can resurrect the BB OS from the ashes of irrelevance so they can once again compete in the smart phone market.

If BB was smart they'd join the Open Handset Alliance and develop Android for their Enterprise friendly handsets.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information