Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Applications for Android Market

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    I downloaded Tasker. Too complicated for me, didn't have a clue what is was supposed to do, or how to do it. The app used most by me, is a Chromatic Tuner.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan 42 View Post
    I downloaded Tasker. Too complicated for me, didn't have a clue what is was supposed to do, or how to do it. The app used most by me, is a Chromatic Tuner.

From what I've read, tasker is a great app.

You can manage settings on your phone based on time, location, wifi nearby, activation of other apps, etc.

I may be wrong, but from what I've read you can set apps like music to automatically start when you plug in headphones, silence the phone based on your location, etc. I know there are tons more that I'm missing, but those are the ones I'm sure of.

Better info than my basics below.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ne-tasker.html
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quick question for the more experienced Android guys....

Lookout mobile security. I've heard good things about it, but I also see it runs an Antivirus program, which from my understanding is about as counterproductive as Advanced Task Killer.

I like the features it has, but I'm leary of slowing down my device due to a conflict with other apps and the software.

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I run both with no problems. I don't have ATK set to auto-kill, because Android can do it's own power management. I use it to kill programs that start to lag or start to get buggy. I use Lookout, and haven't seen any decrease in performance. I like the phone finder feature, and it does perform a virus scan everytime I download a new app. That scan takes about three seconds, and occurs prior to the app installing.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Thanks for the link Pudge. Still don't understand it. That article was like trying to read a foreign language.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Run Lookout. The lost phone feature and back up feature are worth it all by themselves...

I've got Advanced Task Killer on my phone; no problems, but I'm not geek enough to know if it's redundant or note. I probably turn things off with it maybe once a day...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    textPlus Free + Unlimited 1:1 - Android app on AppBrain

FREE and UNLIMITED text msg to anyone in the US & Canada, even if they don’t have the app!

★ Worldwide FREE app-to-app msg
    ★ Group conversations w/ ANY phone –everyone sees all replies
    ★ Communities –topic driven mobile chat rooms
    ★ SEARCH Communities –find what you’re interested in
    ★ textPlus pals on any iDevice & text

Recent changes:
    Bug fixes

Just started playing with this one. You can text from wifi or your data to any number for free. App to App texting is free as well. Handy for texting across networks or platforms.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Who here uses latitude? I'm on there, and like it much better than loopt.

If anyone wants to link up on there, let me know and we can pm gmail addresses to add.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Use latitude quite a bit.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I ditched Textplus in favor of Pingchat. Textplus was okay, but it seemed spotty on push notifications and speed. Pingchat seems good so far.

PingChat! brings the ultimate cross-platform messaging experience for Android, iPhone and BlackBerry!

Send unlimited texts, photos, videos, voice notes, and have group conversations. Receive messages instantly with push notifications and see message receipts. Plus, share your social profile with confirmed contacts!

Recent changes:
    Find friends using PingChat! from our Address Book, Facebook and Twitter.

2.3.1:
    - Naming restrictions updated
    - Install/upgrade on slow connection crash fix

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Both sides have to be using PingChat, right?
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Both sides have to be using PingChat, right?

Correct. It's more or less a cross platform version of Blackberry Messenger if you're familiar.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I haven't paid for an app yet, but I may just buy this one. The Dev also has a similar app with non state specific information.

This version has 964 pages of content!

* ORC cheat sheet for traffic offenses; OVI; drug possession; drug trafficking; drug manufacturing; prescription drugs; tobacco; liquor laws; CCW permit holder violations and reciprocity agreements; statute of limitations; Castle Doctrine; ORC definitions (e.g. deadly weapon, offense of violence, etc.); conspiracy, attempt and complicity; degrees of mental culpability; organizational liability.

* Accident investigation formulas; brake efficiency; ORC charges; OH1 narrative templates; different tire size speed calculator; view GPS coordinates for OH1

* County number listing; States requiring front license plate; CMV out of service orders & company snapshot.

* Spanish for law enforcement with text translator for other languages

* LiDAR test instructions; Warrant PUR guidelines

* Pill identifier; DEA drug schedule; DEA chemical list; pills of abuse photos; NADDI pharmaceutical drugs of abuse pamphlets; commonly abused prescription drug pics

* OVI SFST and new CPR technique video tutorials

* Case Law resource for probable cause (search); probable cause (arrest); reasonable suspicion; abandoned property; administrative search; community care taking; consent search; corrections (body cavity search; strip search; due process with discipline; prisoner drug testing); disorderly conduct type arrests; exculpatory evidence; exigent circumstances; expectation of privacy; good faith doctrine; hot pursuit; ignorance of law; incident to arrest search; international border searches; internal investigations; K-9 sniffs; Miranda; open fields doctrine; plain view; probationer searches; public authority defense; school searches; stop & frisk; suspect line-Up; thermal camera; traffic stops (pre-textual stops; passenger not free to leave; length of stops; order occupants out of vehicle; passengers to provide identification; miranda warnings; GPS, phone, and beeper pings; vehicle searches; vehicle inventory; roadblock / checkpoints); trash & garbage search; use of force; vehicle pursuits; warrant execution

*Liquor Permit Types; list of active permits (by County); permit violations (by County); and last 500 cancelled permits.

* News RSS feeds from American Police Beat, Officer.com, and PoliceOne.com.

* Legal update RSS feeds from American Police Beat, AELE, Public Agency Training Council, and U.S. Supreme Court.

* Training articles regarding detecting concealed weapons, pluralistic ignorance, interview & interrogation, rookie drug interdiction mistakes, Drug Recognition Expert training, and OVI SFST video tutorials.

* Directory of ALL OPOTC reported municipal police and county sheriff agencies, coroners offices, drug task forces, federal agencies, institutions, OSP posts, prosecutors, and state agencies.

* PDF Cheat Sheets (traffic code, criminal code, CCW, drug trafficking & possession, OVI, money laundering)

* Ohio Attorney General Crime Victims Compensation Program details

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Regarding the above, I bought it. Just playing with this thing it's definitely worth more than the 2.99 paid. Very awesome app.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Regarding the above, I bought it. Just playing with this thing it's definitely worth more than the 2.99 paid. Very awesome app.
    What app is it? The appbrain links do not work.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ManImBored View Post
    What app is it? The appbrain links do not work.
    It's US Cop.

The dev made a state specific app for Ohio that has a lot of resources for the Revised code, a directory, etc. But even the information included in the app that isn't state specific, that is in the US Cop app make it well worth the 3 bucks in my opinion. He's going to be updating soon to add a database with photos of all ID cards and operator's licenses, complete with their security features. He's also adding geotagging and date/time stamp to a photo portion of the app allowing to take evidence photos.

Once he puts the new updates in, the price is going up on the Android market, so jump on it now if you can.

ETA: The US Cop app is only. 1.99. It's worth more than that in my opinion.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Downloading U.S. Cop now.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

kjlaw is online now Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Downloading U.S. Cop now.

Same here and great plug in the review!!!
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlaw View Post
    Same here and great plug in the review!!!
    The developer emailed me back about a question inside of 10 minutes too. With the updates that are coming for this app the price is right. First app I have paid for by the way.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information