Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

iPhone to Android: A Switcher's Guide

Jumping Ship from iPhone to Android: A Switcher's Guide

If you're sick of Apple's walled garden but have yet to make the jump from the iPhone to an Android handset, here's what to expect, how to adjust, and how to cope with certain app withdrawal.

Let me preface all of this by saying that for many—not all—the switch from iPhone to Android will feel like being covered in band-aids and ripping each one off over the course of a few weeks. This is not because there's anything particularly wrong with either mobile operating system, but because they have different paradigms. Android and iPhone feel different, look different, and accomplish things in sometimes very different manners. Nonetheless, they're both mobile operating systems with touch interfaces, so it's hard to avoid comparing the two and finding similarities between them. If you decide to ditch your iPhone and give Android a try, be prepared for a little culture shock.

While some things are worse and others just different, there are quite a few things Android does best, and you'll want to be sure to check them out.
    The rest of the article at the link: http://lifehacker.com/5581029/jumpin...yline=true&s=i
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Good article!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    When AT@T gets the Evo........count me in!!!!!
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    When AT&T gets 4G, it will be better 4G than Sprint has. Sprints only real win is being the first one with it.

But I agree that each platform (iPhone vs. Android) has its advantages over the other. The only thing I really miss now that I have an iPhone that my Android HTC Hero had was being able to make ringtones from ANY mp3 I have on my phone. With the iPhone, I have to pay to make ringtones and the songs to make them from have to have been purchased from iTunes. Also, there's no way to add custom text sounds either. But the flip side is that I've had almost no force closes, and on my Hero it happened all the time. Many apps I wanted on my Hero I had to delete because they made the whole phone go haywire.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    When AT&T gets 4G, it will be better 4G than Sprint has. Sprints only real win is being the first one with it.

But I agree that each platform (iPhone vs. Android) has its advantages over the other. The only thing I really miss now that I have an iPhone that my Android HTC Hero had was being able to make ringtones from ANY mp3 I have on my phone. With the iPhone, I have to pay to make ringtones and the songs to make them from have to have been purchased from iTunes. Also, there's no way to add custom text sounds either. But the flip side is that I've had almost no force closes, and on my Hero it happened all the time. Many apps I wanted on my Hero I had to delete because they made the whole phone go haywire.
    The Hero is an early version of Android and running an early version of Sense. The new stuff is much more stable and polished, especially on the hardware coming out now.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Thread Information