Welcome to the APBWeb.
    gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO

Buying a New Switch. Thoughts?

I will be remodeling my basement and, at the same time, re-wiring my house (a rambler, so ethernet cable distance won't be an issue). I'm planning on putting a homerun in the utilities area and am thinking of getting this switch for the whole-house network. I also have a Linksys WRT54GL Newegg.com - Linksys WRT54GL 802.11b/g Wireless Broadband Router up to 54Mbps/ Compatible with Open Source DD-WRT (not pre-load) and would like to keep the wireless capability for my laptop, iPod Touch, and Droid phone.

Whatcha think?

Newegg.com - D-Link DGS-1024D 10/100/1000Mbps 24-Port Green Technology Rackmountable Switch 24 x RJ45 8K MAC Address Table On ship: 500KB Buffer Memory per Device Buffer Memory
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Mark7 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    That looks like a good switch for your network. You should be able to run that wireless router with it just fine.

I run this switch, along with a Linksys WRT wireless in my house:
    Newegg.com - Open Box: Cisco Small Business RV082 Dual WAN VPN Router
    “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”

Verified LEO
    Since the D-Link switch doesn't have DHCP assigning, should I have the Linksys behind the cable modem, then plug the D-Link behind the Linksys?
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Why not use the Linksys as your switch? How many ports do you need?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    Since the D-Link switch doesn't have DHCP assigning, should I have the Linksys behind the cable modem, then plug the D-Link behind the Linksys?
    Use the Linksys as your router, and run one port to the switch.

MODEM - ROUTER - SWITCH
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

tweakerseeker is offline Hunter of Men
    Verified LEO
    That's what I would do.

*Note: I am an idiot when it comes to computers and I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. It sounds highly technical and therefore good, though.
    "There is no 'nice' way to arrest a potentially dangerous, combative suspect. The police are our bodyguards, our hired fists, batons and guns. We pay them to do the dirty work of protecting us, the work we're too afraid, too unskilled or too civilized to do ourselves. We expect them to keep the bad guys out of our businesses, cars and houses, out of our face. We want them to 'take care of the problem.' We just don't want to see how its done."
    - Charles H. Webb, Ph.d

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "tweakerseeker" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Why not use the Linksys as your switch? How many ports do you need?
    I'm using the Linksys now, but after I re-wire, I'm gong to have LAN jacks in every room of the house and multiple ones on the basement walls. I figure a 24-port switch will be enough. I did a cursory count the other night and I'm looking at having 14-18 ethernet ports throughout the house.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    I'm using the Linksys now, but after I re-wire, I'm gong to have LAN jacks in every room of the house and multiple ones on the basement walls. I figure a 24-port switch will be enough. I did a cursory count the other night and I'm looking at having 14-18 ethernet ports throughout the house.
    You planning on hosting a LAN party?
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Excellent! Slight port overkill on the switch, but not much less money gets a lot less hardware, nice pick there imo. No complaints here about DLink products. Gbit LAN, with Cat 6, should do nicely well into the future and twisted pair ethernet might surprise us by going faster yet if called upon at that.

Only suggestion I have is put the switch in the utility area, but consider if the WiFi router is best placed somewhere else. Might be that's the best place for both, or maybe an extra cable would today would bring smiles tomorrow. (without a floor plan I can't know if your utility area is centrally located, or how close it is to where you most use WiFi, and the unique radio characteristics would make a floor plan damn near invalid anyway) I have the same router, and while I like it the performance loss over just a few extra feet makes me wonder if it's using the rule of 16 or some new math. So, put the switch out of sight and the router nearest where you use WiFi and you should be rockin in the IP world.

Basically, great plan.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    You planning on hosting a LAN party?
    Nope, just want to be able to move stuff around the house without having to worry about desk placement and hiding wires. I've helped my cousins do this in a few of their houses and it makes it VERY convenient

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Excellent! Slight port overkill on the switch, but not much less money gets a lot less hardware, nice pick there imo. No complaints here about DLink products. Gbit LAN, with Cat 6, should do nicely well into the future and twisted pair ethernet might surprise us by going faster yet if called upon at that.

Only suggestion I have is put the switch in the utility area, but consider if the WiFi router is best placed somewhere else. Might be that's the best place for both, or maybe an extra cable would today would bring smiles tomorrow. (without a floor plan I can't know if your utility area is centrally located, or how close it is to where you most use WiFi, and the unique radio characteristics would make a floor plan damn near invalid anyway) I have the same router, and while I like it the performance loss over just a few extra feet makes me wonder if it's using the rule of 16 or some new math. So, put the switch out of sight and the router nearest where you use WiFi and you should be rockin in the IP world.

Basically, great plan.
    The utility area is in the center of the basement, so it's a great location. I'd probably build a shelf to house the modem, router, and switch. I'll also be getting a Leviton phone/video setup so I can send that to every room, too. Voice/Data/TV Panels > Products from Leviton Connected Home

Thread Information