Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Match.com to check for sex offenders after woman says she was raped by convicted sex offender she met on Match.com

Match.com says it will begin cross-referencing members against the National Sex Offender Registry after a lawsuit filed last week in California, in which a woman claims she was raped by a convicted offender she met on the dating website.
    Mandy Ginsberg, president of Match.com, U.S., said in a statement Sunday night that "improved technology and an improved database now enables a sufficient degree of accuracy to move forward" with an initiative it had previously discounted because of the background checks' "historical unreliability."
    In a class action lawsuit filed April 13 in Los Angeles County Superior Court, the woman, identified as Jane Doe, claims she met a man named Alan Wurtzel, who according to the lawsuit has a record of "six separate convictions for sexual battery" in Los Angeles County alone.
    Because it has failed "to undertake a basic screening process [emphasis provided] that disqualifies from membership anyone who has a documented history of sexual assault," the lawsuit says, "Match and sexual predators benefit, while female members ... are endangered."
    The woman was quoted by ABC News as saying she was raped in 2010 during her second date with Wurtzel, whom she had met on the website. The woman, whom the network described as an "Ivy League graduate who works in film and television," said the man followed her into her residence and attacked her
    More here: Match.com to begin checking for sex offenders in wake of lawsuit - CNN.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So at what point are you required to do your own due diligence before dating a complete stranger you met on the internet???
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    So at what point are you required to do your own due diligence before dating a complete stranger you met on the internet???

Due dilligence is about as uncommon as common sense anymore. This doesn't suprise me. Everyone expects everyone else to watch out for their asses rather than doing it themselves.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I feel gipped. I met my wife online, and she isn't a sex offender.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Due diligence there buddy. Shoulda checked yourself instead of relying on everyone else to do the leg work for you.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Maybe you're not easily "offended"?

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Maybe you're not easily "offended"?
    I'm thinking you might be on to something, there.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm thinking you might be on to something, there.

Takes one to know one. I get it.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Thread Information