Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    I will be attending a Forensic Photography class soon as training for my new position here at the PD. I am starting to get the hang of some of the photo stuff so I wont look like a total noob when I go in there.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What kind of equipment does your PD use Bored?

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    ManImBored, where are you taking this class? We have full time CSIs, but we have to call them out on graves when I work. Ilike to take my own pictures, especially the higher priority calls

I'm getting back into photography and am having a blast doing it! I was huge into film back in high school and college, specifically black and white since I learned how to develop my own prints. In jumping back in, though, it's definitely apparent that the medium has passed me by. I'm trying my damnedest to catch back up to it though!

In support of my own new hobby, I bought myself a new Nikon D7000 kitted with a NIKKOR 18-105mm VR lens. Bought a decent SunPak tripod too. I started with the D5100, but after taking over a thousand pictures with it on vacation, I found I loved it but wanted a camera I could grow more into. I came from film, so I don't know all the ins and outs of digital, but I do have a decent photography background and knowledge base. I found myself loving the D5100, but was frustrated by the lack of dedicated controls on the body to adjust some stuff on the fly...everything had to be accessed by menus. That's hard to do when you're shooting under time constraints, or when you're trying to bracket or trying for other effects. So I splurged a little more and exchanged it for the D7000

Today, I picked up a Nikon Speedlight SB-700 flash unit. That should round out my kit for now, minus some small stuff along the way like filters, etc.

My camera....the Nikon D7000

The Nikon SB 700 flash
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That is the camera I'm looking at in the next year or so. Kayak first. I was talking to tweekerseeker on facebook and we are already outclassed with the Nikon D700.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Damn. I was getting a little pissed that I wasn't getting the fps out of my Nikon D3000 that I thought I should when goofing around with it at K9 training today. I probably shouldn't have read the specs on that D7000. I want...and I want now. That's a great rig, 121...I want to see some shots from it.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    That is the camera I'm looking at in the next year or so. Kayak first. I was talking to tweekerseeker on facebook and we are already outclassed with the Nikon D700.
    It is a great camera. One question...we're you referring to the camera I have, the D7000? Or the higher end D700? That's a full frame, pro level FX sensor camera. Body only is around $1300! Too rich for my blood!
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    And Justin it is a great rig. I'll get some shots up soon!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    It is a great camera. One question...we're you referring to the camera I have, the D7000? Or the higher end D700? That's a full frame, pro level FX sensor camera. Body only is around $1300! Too rich for my blood!

I want the 7000. Tweeker has the 700.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Ahhh gotcha. yeah those full FX sensor bodies are super, super nice. But too much $$$$.

Verified LEO
    I have the Canon Rebel XTi also knows as the Canon 400D with the Canon 18-55mm stock kit lens. Works for what I need it to do. Next thing I am looking at is the external flash for it.

The forensic photography class is hosted through the Texas Engineering Extension Service. Its a subdivision of Texas A&M University. They do a lot of Law Enforcement training around the state. This particular class is free as it is subsidized through grants from the USDOJ.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Pretty sure all of our evidence techs are issued Cannons as well. Not sure what kind. When tweeker and I were talking he seemed to think they were more user friendly for beginners.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Pretty sure all of our evidence techs are issued Cannons as well. Not sure what kind. When tweeker and I were talking he seemed to think they were more user friendly for beginners.
    That is why I purchased this one. I picked it up used with the case, two filters, and an extra battery for $500. Maybe in a few years I will look at upgrading. My only dislike is it uses Compact Flash cards instead of SD cards. Means I always have to carry around the card reader or the USB cable.

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    I use Canon for photo and video. I have this camera - Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : PowerShot SX40 HS

Which I found at Sam's Club for $350 in Feb. or March 2011. Its pretty nice, basically a DSLR without a removable lense. Much cheaper of course than a DSLR. I have taken some pretty amazing wildlife photos with it, and with 35x Optical zoom, its pretty good. I use it for work as well and it take excellent night photos.

Of Course a good DSLR like a Rebel Ti is always gonna be better, but I wasn't into it enough to spend that kind of money. With the one I got, I do all of our family photos now, instead of paying someone to do them. I also have used my Canon High Def cam to do a couple weddings. Coupled with my home assembled PC that is a beast, its pretty nice.

I am saving up for the 3D cameras just starting to come out. in a few years I suspect they will be somewhat more mainstream, of course, expensive though. Though 3D for TV and PC have been a little slow going with high prices and ugly glasses, 3D is the future. Maybe not with current viewing tech, but its coming. Think of it like the first computers. They were big, ugly and slow, and not many could afford them, and many thought they wouldn't be a big deal. Now most people have more than one in their house, not counting otherdevices like iPads, Ipods, smartphones, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information