Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-11-06
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    114342

    Digital Photography

    Anyone here into digital photography as a hobby? I just bought a new camera and am trying to get started learning more about it.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

  2. #2
    Pudge's Avatar
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,318
    Rep Power
    8591402
    I am, but I'm still pretty new with everything. Last spring my wife and I picked up a package deal on a Nikon D3000 with 2 lenses, a bag, etc and have been toying with it. I've been playing with using a polarizing filter on some of my stuff and started messing around with photoshop express to touch up some images.

    I've got the bug and would love to get into some different lenses and filters.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

    Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

    www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

    The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

  3. #3
    irishmick's Avatar
    irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    08-12-08
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,226
    Rep Power
    1538968
    I do a fair bit. What do you want to learn?
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

    --Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

    --"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

  4. #4
    ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-11-06
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    114342
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    I do a fair bit. What do you want to learn?
    Everything! LOL

    I just got the camera and am still working on the basic stuff. We are in the process of moving so once I get everything set back up I would like to start on some light photo editing and such. I am not trying to turn pro, just pick up a new hobby.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

  5. #5
    irishmick's Avatar
    irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    08-12-08
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,226
    Rep Power
    1538968
    I would start by getting to know your camera and what it can do. A good resource for general knowledge and terms would be a book called Step-by-Step Digital Photography : A Guide for Beginners by Jack and Sue Drafahl. I think you can pick up a used copy from Amazon for like a penny. Another good book is Understand Exposure by Bryan Peterson. I may have a copy floating around that you can have...let me see if I can dig it up.

    I haven't gotten into the editing so much, but at least these two will give you a good starting point. They'll help you get to know your camera, understand staging a shot, what light is good to shoot in for minimal editing needs, etc. No amount of editing will make a crappy shot that great. heh
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

    --Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

    --"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

  6. #6
    Mark7's Avatar
    Mark7 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-05-10
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    288
    Rep Power
    235188
    +1 for Understanding Exposure, I also learned a lot about my specific camera (Canon D-30) from the Magic Lantern Guide by Simon Stafford, the guides are done for most major DSLRs. I've just started using/learning Adobe Lightroom- more user friendly than Photoshop.
    “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”

  7. #7
    Pudge's Avatar
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,318
    Rep Power
    8591402
    Here are some sites I've been directed to by others. Some good information, gear, and misc stuff.

    Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School
    Digital Camera Resource Page | Digital Camera News and Reviews since 1997
    Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera


    Maybe KatieMH will log in and see this thread, she has a business and takes some great images.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

    Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

    www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

    The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

  8. #8
    KatieMH's Avatar
    KatieMH is offline oldie, but goodie
    Join Date
    10-27-06
    Location
    near the blue ridge parkway
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Maybe KatieMH will log in and see this thread, she has a business and takes some great images.
    Haha... or maybe someone will send me the thread as a hint I should log on and see the thread.

    I'll be completely honest and say books are awesome... but didn't work for me. I can read how to do something all the livelong day, but I don't learn it until I actually do it.

    Step 1 in learning photography: take your camera off auto. Put it in manual mode or you won't ever learn anything.

    Step 2: learn exposure. Exposure consists of 3 things: aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.
    To break it down:
    a. aperture = diameter of your f/stop. This dictates 1) how much light can come through your lens and 2) amount of depth of field in your image (ie. amount of the image in focus - based on your plane). Wide open = f1.2-f2.8 = lots of depth of field (blurriness in image outside the plane of your focal point, great for individual portraits). Low aperture = f14-f22 = no depth of field (focus throughout the image - preferred for architecture shots, etc)

    b. shutter speed = amount of time your shutter stays open. This also dictates how much light comes through based on how quick the shutter closes. 1/2000 = lots of light. When there is a lot of available light you'd use a fast shutter speed, when you're in low light you need to slow down your shutter to 1/200 or less depending on available light.

    c. ISO = sensitivity to light. ISO 100=sunlight. ISO 1600=lacking light, so the camera needs to be sensitive to the light that's there.

    Um, that's the basics for right now. Let me know if you have any questions. My best advice is to put the camera in manual and shoot static images. Put a chair in front of you and shoot it at f/22 then at f/2.8, then do the same with different shutter speeds and again for different ISO's so you can visually see the difference and how it affects your situation and what yields the best results.

  9. #9
    Pudge's Avatar
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,318
    Rep Power
    8591402
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieMH View Post
    Haha... or maybe someone will send me the thread as a hint I should log on and see the thread.

    I'll be completely honest and say books are awesome... but didn't work for me. I can read how to do something all the livelong day, but I don't learn it until I actually do it.

    Step 1 in learning photography: take your camera off auto. Put it in manual mode or you won't ever learn anything.

    Step 2: learn exposure. Exposure consists of 3 things: aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.
    To break it down:
    a. aperture = diameter of your f/stop. This dictates 1) how much light can come through your lens and 2) amount of depth of field in your image (ie. amount of the image in focus - based on your plane). Wide open = f1.2-f2.8 = lots of depth of field (blurriness in image outside the plane of your focal point, great for individual portraits). Low aperture = f14-f22 = no depth of field (focus throughout the image - preferred for architecture shots, etc)

    b. shutter speed = amount of time your shutter stays open. This also dictates how much light comes through based on how quick the shutter closes. 1/2000 = lots of light. When there is a lot of available light you'd use a fast shutter speed, when you're in low light you need to slow down your shutter to 1/200 or less depending on available light.

    c. ISO = sensitivity to light. ISO 100=sunlight. ISO 1600=lacking light, so the camera needs to be sensitive to the light that's there.

    Um, that's the basics for right now. Let me know if you have any questions. My best advice is to put the camera in manual and shoot static images. Put a chair in front of you and shoot it at f/22 then at f/2.8, then do the same with different shutter speeds and again for different ISO's so you can visually see the difference and how it affects your situation and what yields the best results.

    Hey...you got on here, didn't you? That's all that matters.

    I've been just playing with different settings when I can, but I have a lot more practice to do yet before I'm comfortable with changing it up on the fly.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

    Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

    www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

    The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

  10. #10
    ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-11-06
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    845
    Rep Power
    114342
    Thanks for the info everyone. This gives me some reading material for awhile.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

  11. #11
    Cidp24's Avatar
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    07-17-06
    Location
    Crossroads of the Sunny South
    Posts
    8,129
    Rep Power
    3999623
    Good thread. I want to get into photography as a hobby but I just haven't come up off my wallet yet. I also can't decide on a good beginner camera that can accept options/accessories that will grow with my ability.
    *************************
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    *************************
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)


    Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

  12. #12
    Five-0's Avatar
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    05-15-06
    Posts
    10,982
    Rep Power
    8357004

    Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

    The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

  13. #13
    Pudge's Avatar
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,318
    Rep Power
    8591402
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Good thread. I want to get into photography as a hobby but I just haven't come up off my wallet yet. I also can't decide on a good beginner camera that can accept options/accessories that will grow with my ability.
    My D3000 is a great beginner/intermediate camera to use. The D3000, D3100, and D5100 have the point and shoot options, as well as all of the manual settings of a professional camera. Canon also has comparable models. The 3100 series is this year's release of my camera and has HD video recording capabilities. Mine, as well as the new ones also have a manual guide mode on the screen that will help you select your settings.

    I found the entire package on Best Buy's website, then printed that off and went to the store. The price in store for a lesser package was $100 more than online, but they matched what I had found.

    I got the following for $800 and some change with Tax.

    Camera
    18-55mm lens
    55-200 mm lens
    Camera Bag
    Memory Card
    2 year protection plan from Best Buy on camera and both lenses that will cover any and all damage.
    4 gig memory card (I can get about 500 images on that card)

    Individually for all of those I would've paid nearly $1400
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

    Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

    www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

    The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

  14. #14
    Cidp24's Avatar
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    07-17-06
    Location
    Crossroads of the Sunny South
    Posts
    8,129
    Rep Power
    3999623
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    My D3000 is a great beginner/intermediate camera to use. The D3000, D3100, and D5100 have the point and shoot options, as well as all of the manual settings of a professional camera. Canon also has comparable models. The 3100 series is this year's release of my camera and has HD video recording capabilities. Mine, as well as the new ones also have a manual guide mode on the screen that will help you select your settings.

    I found the entire package on Best Buy's website, then printed that off and went to the store. The price in store for a lesser package was $100 more than online, but they matched what I had found.

    I got the following for $800 and some change with Tax.

    Camera
    18-55mm lens
    55-200 mm lens
    Camera Bag
    Memory Card
    2 year protection plan from Best Buy on camera and both lenses that will cover any and all damage.
    4 gig memory card (I can get about 500 images on that card)

    Individually for all of those I would've paid nearly $1400
    Very nice! Thanks!
    *************************
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    *************************
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)


    Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

  15. #15
    Pudge's Avatar
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,318
    Rep Power
    8591402
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Very nice! Thanks!

    Welcome.

    I forgot to add that mine will use all of the accessories of the higher end cameras. So any Nikon or Nikon compatible lenses, remotes, flashes, etc of the high end camera bodies will work with it too.

    I'd like to get another camera eventually, but I need to learn this one inside and out (Thanks, Katie ) before I do. Otherwise we may get something else since my wife loves to shoot too, and we're constantly passing the camera back and forth.

    You can pick up lens filters pretty cheap anywhere too. I just saw the other day that Wal Mart even sells them now too.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

    Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

    www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

    The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

  16. #16
    KaiGywer's Avatar
    KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    01-02-06
    Location
    Mandan, ND
    Posts
    2,867
    Rep Power
    2687223
    Just be careful with Nikon's cheapest models. Some of them do not accept the higher end lenses, so if you buy more lenses for this camera, then upgrade in the future, they might not be compatible. Just ask before you buy. As far as who is better, Canon, Nikon or Sony...it's like comparing GM, Ford and Chrysler...
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

  17. #17
    Five-0's Avatar
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    05-15-06
    Posts
    10,982
    Rep Power
    8357004
    OK. Giving this thread new life as I just bought the wife cough cough me cough this camera:

    Nikon AW100 COOLPIX Compact Digital Camera | Underwater Camera

    Got it in the Blue, with 32 gig memory card, and a float. Yes, this one will go everywhere.

    Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

    The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

  18. #18
    Pudge's Avatar
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,318
    Rep Power
    8591402
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    OK. Giving this thread new life as I just bought the wife cough cough me cough this camera:

    Nikon AW100 COOLPIX Compact Digital Camera | Underwater Camera

    Got it in the Blue, with 32 gig memory card, and a float. Yes, this one will go everywhere.

    Nice!
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

    Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

    www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

    The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

  19. #19
    KaiGywer's Avatar
    KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    01-02-06
    Location
    Mandan, ND
    Posts
    2,867
    Rep Power
    2687223
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    OK. Giving this thread new life as I just bought the wife cough cough me cough this camera:

    Nikon AW100 COOLPIX Compact Digital Camera | Underwater Camera

    Got it in the Blue, with 32 gig memory card, and a float. Yes, this one will go everywhere.
    Nice!

    When can we expect the first picture thread?
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

  20. #20
    Five-0's Avatar
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    05-15-06
    Posts
    10,982
    Rep Power
    8357004
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    Nice!

    When can we expect the first picture thread?

    Whenever it gets here I'm sure. If I end up using this a lot and enjoying it I will start looking to get into the photography game a bit deeper.

    1. Kayak
    2. Glass for my .308
    3. Serious Camera and lens

    Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

    The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •