Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO

Yet another Android question...

OK, so I got my android...finally!!!!

What the heck is "rooting"?
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Breaking the warranty by stripping all the manufacturer installed crap out and going down to the most basic or "root" Operating System.

Geek work. I'm too chicken to do it myself; maybe if Xiphos was still close enough to walk me through and serve as tech support. But he went and moved to the other side of the continent...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by irishmick View Post
    OK, so I got my android...finally!!!!

What the heck is "rooting"?
    Me too! and I was wondering the same thing. What is the benefit of doing that?
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Verified LEO
    The benefit is you can get rid of all the crap that's preloaded and can't be deleted. (For example, I don't use Amazon on my phone, or MySpace, or several other apps... I'd like to take them off and have more room for the stuff I want.) You can put a custom OS in, too. Don't ask me all the advantages of that; I can't tell you. Like I said -- I"m to chicken to do it! I'm afraid my phone'll turn into a paperweight.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Jks explained it.

The term comes from "root" level access on a Unix or Linux operating system - which is essentially what Android is.

Don't bother with it until you've played with the phone long enough to know you need to do it.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It's administrator access to the operating system. It's that simple. Linux based systems call it root. Microsoft calls it Administrator.

Root access on Android allows you to do the things Jks mentioned like unloading the bloatware the manufacturer preinstalls. You can install root only apps like Titanium Backup or Adfree. You can also get radical and start loading "ROMs" which are customized and optimized versions of Android. (That's what the Cyanogen banner in my signature here is about.)

As already mentioned, rooting will void your warranty. Some manufacturers and phones go to great lengths to prevent rooting and customization and it gets very dangerous because a little mistake can "brick" your phone and turn it into block of plastic and metal that's no more useful than a brick. Some phones are very open and easy, like the Nexus One/Nexus S. Those are phones for developers so they are intentionally easy to root and modify. I have a Nexus S and had it open and rooted before I signed in on the first boot.

If you are not a power user interested in customization of your phone with ROMs this is why you may want to root. Root your phone and install Titanium Backup. Keep frequent backups of all your apps and settings stored on your SD card. When you drop your phone in the toilet or accidentally run it over, there's a good chance your SD card survived and can be placed in your new phone. Root it, install Titanium Backup and restore all your apps and settings. That's a real world use for it. Apps like Adfree and removing bloatware are icing on the cake.

If you are interested you should go to Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers and read about your phone. Go through the rooting threads and learn how to do this stuff properly. This does void your warranty and there is some risk, especially if you don't read up and pay attention carefully.

With a little time invested however it can be very rewarding. You have a phone that you can control and customize almost every detail on.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

213th is offline Solipsist
    Sweet! One of my coworkers has been telling me to root my phone since I got it...3 days ago lol. Sounds like there could be real benefits to doing it even for an average user like myself.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm afraid I'm a bit chicken shit myself. I just spoke with an HTC adviser and even they are not sure when an update is coming out.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I'm afraid I'm a bit chicken shit myself. I just spoke with an HTC adviser and even they are not sure when an update is coming out.
    That's the nice thing about custom ROMs. They are often based on the most current version of Android. If you have Cyanogen Mod on your phone you are running Gingerbread 2.3.4 which is the most current version (for phones.) It doesn't matter when HTC gets around to updating it, you're ahead of the curve using all the latest goodies.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Roger. I am doing some reading up on rooting as I can. I probably will give it a go but only after I'm confident enough to do so. That may take some time. You know how slow on the uptake I am about these type things. There is no way I am bricking my phone.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Rooting is a gateway action. Just Say No.

I'm a moldy old nerd and I haven't bothered: can't find a point in doing so. I have a nice root free tether set up. Phone is stable and works fine. There's a much better computer in front of most people they can go to town on with no chance of bricking and more upside for performance. Why make the device in pocket that you might need to count on when things go to shit your geek out fun platform? Better efforts would be spent on the desktop. At the point we've exhausted our efforts giving real world tips and tactics then rooting phones might be the place to go next.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Roger. I am doing some reading up on rooting as I can. I probably will give it a go but only after I'm confident enough to do so. That may take some time. You know how slow on the uptake I am about these type things. There is no way I am bricking my phone.
    Which phone do you have? Most are very safe and easy to root. It's the custom ROMs that are the real risk. If all you want is access to root apps you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Rooting is a gateway action. Just Say No.

I'm a moldy old nerd and I haven't bothered: can't find a point in doing so. I have a nice root free tether set up. Phone is stable and works fine. There's a much better computer in front of most people they can go to town on with no chance of bricking and more upside for performance. Why make the device in pocket that you might need to count on when things go to shit your geek out fun platform? Better efforts would be spent on the desktop. At the point we've exhausted our efforts giving real world tips and tactics then rooting phones might be the place to go next.
    What was the last computer you bought where you weren't allowed administrator access to your OS? What would you do if you turned on the computer and you were forbidden from deleting all the McAfee or Norton software that was pre-loaded? Nope, can't delete that Roxio trial program either. Why do we allow our phones to do the same thing? Root access is valuable just for getting rid of all the preloaded crap apps that come on the phone. Adfree and backups are nice too.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    It definitely sounds interesting...but I'm pretty sure I'm too chicken to do it. Who wants to visit Oregon? heh
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Which phone do you have? Most are very safe and easy to root. It's the custom ROMs that are the real risk. If all you want is access to root apps you should be fine.
    HTC Inspire. I think it is 4G compatible but not sure. (HSPS+) Nice phone but has some lag issues.
    I purchased 2 extra batteries and charger because of battery life issues. Problem solved but when I power down and back up to change batteries various apps I've previously turned boot back up. I'm thinking rooting will allow me to delete some, or all, of those things and solve some issues for me.

Verified LEO
    The only reason I'm considering rooting is to delete the crap that I have no interest in -- but can't get rid of. Some of it takes up a lot of memory on the phone, and doesn't even have the courtesy of at least letting me move them onto the memory card...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    HTC Inspire. I think it is 4G compatible but not sure. (HSPS+) Nice phone but has some lag issues.
    I purchased 2 extra batteries and charger because of battery life issues. Problem solved but when I power down and back up to change batteries various apps I've previously turned boot back up. I'm thinking rooting will allow me to delete some, or all, of those things and solve some issues for me.
    Sounds like you are using a task killer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    The only reason I'm considering rooting is to delete the crap that I have no interest in -- but can't get rid of. Some of it takes up a lot of memory on the phone, and doesn't even have the courtesy of at least letting me move them onto the memory card...
    Root and use Titanium Backup to remove those apps. This is especially troubling in some older models with very limited memory.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Sounds like you are using a task killer?
    Correct.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Correct.
    Stop. You don't need it. The Google engineers who develop Android will tell you.

Android anticipates which apps you use and pre-loads them into memory so they will load faster when you start them. They are "parked" there and not running or using resources. Android will keep enough memory free for whatever you need and if you start taxing it, the apps will be dumped for what you are actively doing. You can task kill all day long and Android will continue parking apps in memory. You are trying to defeat a feature that keeps the OS running faster.

The exception to this are apps that are actively running all the time like widgets. They are running and using resources.

Every time you kill all those apps you use more resources while Android goes and put them all back again. That's eating up your battery too.

I had an early Android phone with very limited resources. It ran smoother when I stopped using task killers. You don't need them.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Thank you sir. Advanced task killer will be eliminated.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A couple battery saving tips:

Widgets are nice but they are constantly running which uses battery. Limit your widgets to what you use frequently.

One widget you should use is the Power Control Widget. This will let you easily turn on and off wireless networking, bluetooth etc. Turn off that stuff when you aren't using it.

When you are in the car or at the office, keep it plugged in. Most phones are now using the micro USB cable that plugs into a wall plug. If you can pull out the cable and plug it into your computer USB port that will help keep it charged up for you.

If you know you will be out all day and are worried about running out of battery, you can turn off bluetooth, GPS, data synch. You can also turn off your data in the setting menu. You'll get phone calls and SMS messages but not email, web, or anything else. This essentially turns your phone into a 2007 dumb phone. But if you are running around busy and just want the thing sitting in your pocket in case you need to make a call, it's handy. I recently did this on a camping trip and had over 30% battery after 24 hours. That's with turning on data occasionally to check email.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information