Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Take the Money and Run

ABC tv show premiering tonight at 9 EST.

A “mystery man” (actually, actor Zen Gesner, best known for starring in syndicated 1990s series “The Adventures of Sinbad”) hands a couple a suitcase worth $100,000.

They have one hour to hide it. Then real law enforcement officials swoop in and “arrest” the couple. If the couple can endure 48 hours of interrogation, they win the money. If the detectives manage to locate the suitcase, they keep the cash.
    This might be the first unscripted show to, however inadvertently, encourage an active loathing for law enforcement.

While the detectives get equal time to reveal how the prize money would change their lives, not one comes off as sympathetic. It seems seedy for them to be using their professional skills to win a game show against civilians. For anyone thinking about breaking the law, the show is a great primer on police investigative techniques. If you’re ever jailed and questioned, you’ll know what to expect. Does ABC really want to go in the business of running a summer school for criminals?
    ‘Take the Money & Run’ won’t get very far - BostonHerald.com

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What douchebag cops would agree to cooperate with this?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    What douchebag cops would agree to cooperate with this?
    Answering that question could start a flame war.

We have already demonstrated with other topics that police ethics vary far and wide by region, and that there is no universal standard in the United States.

Paul Bishop works at LAPD as a Detective III, which is essentially a Sergeant.

Mary Hanlon Stone is an LA County Deputy DA.

Each guest starring LEO is not yet announced.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I don't see it making it. If the money holders can find a good hiding spot, they can definitely go 48 hours without opening their mouths.

I won't see it anyway, election coverage will be on all night tonight.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

StoleIt is offline Officer First Class
    Please pick me!!!

I can hide a suitcase and take 48 hours of police "interrogation." Let's be serious...questioning.

I want 100k!!!!

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Eh. I don't think it's going to reveal anything earth shattering. I'll reserve further opinion until I've watched it. So far it looks interesting.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have real criminals to deal with. If I were interested in the money I wouldn't be a cop.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Eh. I don't think it's going to reveal anything earth shattering
    You're a soothsayer! There are bigger reveals in any episode of Gunsmoke.

So, just watched it. Nope, you don't need to bother. The set up had potential, who doesn't like to see both sides of a crooks and sleuths story? The execution was beyond boring. At least the producers didn't overpromise like the TV critic did - turns out after watching I neither loath Law Enforcement or learned to be a master criminal. Mostly I learned how cheap ABC is about programming, so I'll be pitching them my idea to relaunch the show next summer as "20 Questions Geocaching".

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    When I first saw the title I thought it was going to be about the debt ceiling debate....

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Answering that question could start a flame war.

We have already demonstrated with other topics that police ethics vary far and wide by region, and that there is no universal standard in the United States.

Paul Bishop works at LAPD as a Detective III, which is essentially a Sergeant.

Mary Hanlon Stone is an LA County Deputy DA.

Each guest starring LEO is not yet announced.
    Maybe they answered that SPAM e-mail for reality TV mentioned in another post???

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    How to endure 48 hours of questioning? Ask for a lawyer and let him deal with the cops
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    You're a soothsayer! There are bigger reveals in any episode of Gunsmoke.

So, just watched it. Nope, you don't need to bother. The set up had potential, who doesn't like to see both sides of a crooks and sleuths story? The execution was beyond boring. At least the producers didn't overpromise like the TV critic did - turns out after watching I neither loath Law Enforcement or learned to be a master criminal. Mostly I learned how cheap ABC is about programming, so I'll be pitching them my idea to relaunch the show next summer as "20 Questions Geocaching".

The real advantage is on the cop side of the game. It'd be a fairly easy and fun 100k to split. In the preview for the next one it shows Joe Schillaci as one of the cops competing for the 100k. So I guess you have to be quasi-famous and make big bucks on speaking arrangements and seminars to be qualified.

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    So I guess you have to be quasi-famous and make big bucks on speaking arrangements and seminars to be qualified.
    Certainly gives the civilians an edge when they're up against police officers who haven't done actual police work in forever.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Didn't watch.

Are the civilians required to give clues? I would think anyone could be quite for 48 hours if there was no repercussions for not answering questions. Not like they're on the hook for a crime.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    Didn't watch.

Are the civilians required to give clues? I would think anyone could be quite for 48 hours if there was no repercussions for not answering questions. Not like they're on the hook for a crime.

I didn't catch it if they said, but it almost seemed as if they were required to talk. Either that, or the two jackwagons who were on last night were too dumb to shut up.

www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Paul Bishop was a multiple hour guest overnight on the radio show Coast To Coast (the one with UFOs and bigfoot). When I tuned in he was explaining how the show came about as the result of a pitch he made for an interrogator drama. Kind of interesting to hear the back story on how the show came about and internal workings.

Thread Information