Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: iPhone switch?

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO

iPhone switch?

My iPhone 3GS has developed a problem, probably with the connection between the battery and the rest of the phone. I have a friend that thinks he can fix it. If he can't, then I have gotten another iPhone 3GS that someone else does not use anymore because of upgrading to the 4S. My friend that thinks he can fix my phone claims that if I need to use the phone from the other person, that all I have to do is put the SIM card from my iPhone 3GS into the other iPhone 3GS and then sync the "new" phone with my iTunes. He says that it is that simple and the new phone will be working under my phone number. Is this true? I am doubting him, but who knows. The other thing that worries me is that I heard a rumor that when you try to sync another iPhone to your iTunes (like I want to do), it will automatically extent your contract for 2 years. Does anyone here know if that part is true. If that is the case then I may stop being a cheap a$$ and just get a new 4S. I'm wanting to hold off on extending my contract until the 5 comes out. Also does anyone know if I get a 4S, and have to extent my contract by 2 years, if they will let me keep my unlimited data plan or force me to move to one of the new limited ones? I hope my friend can simply fix my current phone with the extra parts he has. If he can't, I'm not sure what I'm going to try doing. Any help any of you guys and gals can offer would be greatly appreciated!
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    I just got the 4S and I love this phone! They will allow those that had the unlimited data plan to carry it over into a new contract. I made sure of that before I renewed my contract. As far as the itunes sync thing, it has nothing to do with your At&T service. it is an iphone thing and you have already purchased the songs to put on anything-be it an ipod touch or another phone.
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

213th is offline Solipsist
    I am not familiar with IPhone specifically, but if your IPhone has a SIM card, then yes, all you need to do is move the SIM card to the new phone and it will carry over your phone number etc. According to Wikipedia, if you have a GSM Iphone, it will have a SIM card. If you have CDMA, it will not. You probably have GSM.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The sim card idea works. My wife's Iphone finally died and I moved her over to my old one when I got my droid. I could not move her contacts.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    The sim card idea works. My wife's Iphone finally died and I moved her over to my old one when I got my droid. I could not move her contacts.
    Can you save the contacts to Apple's new iCloud feature and get them from there?
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Backup your old phone in iTunes. Reset the "new" phone to factory to get rid of anything your friend may have installed. Plug new phone into iTunes. Restore new phone. That's it. New phone = old phone.

Doing this changes nothing on your plan. Upgrading to the 4S will put you on the hook for two more years, but you can keep your current plan.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Verified LEO
    Either way I took the time to actually write out all of my contacts/numbers/etc. in case I lost them.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I am not familiar with IPhone specifically, but if your IPhone has a SIM card, then yes, all you need to do is move the SIM card to the new phone and it will carry over your phone number etc. According to Wikipedia, if you have a GSM Iphone, it will have a SIM card. If you have CDMA, it will not. You probably have GSM.
    Yeah, mine is the one with the SIM card in the top of it.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Thread Information