Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Game of Thrones

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO

Game of Thrones

Anyone into it or been watching it?????? Unfortuantly I find myself watching it each week. Not something I'd usually watch, but its sucked me in.
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    And what is really annoying is that no one knows how it ends, because the final book has not been written yet! Grrr.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I roll my eyes while walking past the 'fantasy' isle at the bookstore, so it is with some shame I have to admit I'm fully engrossed in the Song of Ice and Fire series which HBO's Game of Thrones is based on, with the first book of the serial by the same title. At only 5016 pages so far it's a quick enough read. Or you can watch the show. Warning : lots of boobies and swordplay (steel swords).

First season was a treasure to someone like me who usually has to clamp teeth firmly on tongue to stop from saying "the book was better!". The producers were true to the book, and while necessarily condensed, captured the story and spirit with refreshing accuracy. Better yet, Peter Dinklage took a well written character from the page and brought him to new heights on screen as I haven't witnessed before. Not convinced the screenwriters are doing as well this season, but it's coming together. I just hope the minor characters don't get lost, for me 'dolorous' Edd is a favorite.

Once they figure a way to work a dead horse, we'll be next. Likely I'll be the first too. 'Edd,' they'll say, 'dying's no excuse for laying down no more, so get on up and take this spear, you've got first watch tonight.' Well, I shouldn't be so gloomy. Might be I'll die before they work it out.

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Warning : lots of boobies and swordplay (steel swords).
    What's not to like with that??

I'm part way through the third book/wheel chock - " A storm of swords", I fear I may becoming a nerd as I usually cannot stand to read fiction. I think HBO are doing a solid copy of the books so far.
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    I just watched the first season..LOVED IT! I am going to buy the books..already have the set saved on Ebay to buy This is just the type of stuff I read and watch...so I am a happy happy girl
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    The books are good, but as I said earlier, I found it really annoying to read them one after the other and then find out the series has not been finished. That and that the author keeps killing off all my favourites.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I'm a huge fan. In fact, my four Game of Thrones steins just shipped yesterday from HBO.com's online store I'm re-reading the series and am currently on the third book (Storm of Swords). I've been a little pissed off this year at some of the show elements not meshing with the books and the failure of the writers to get a couple of the characters at Winterfell introduced. Without posting a spoiler, I will tell you that Bran did not (despite what he said in last week's episode) have the dream about Winterfell flooding. It was someone else, who told him. That character's absence so far is a mystery to me.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

berserk is offline The reason they do psych evals
    Verified LEO
    Blog Entries
    Great show. I'm not watching it right now because I'm only halfway through Clash of Kings.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I don't have HBO but I caught the first two or three episodes. I've read all the books that have so far been published. I can't help but root for Tyrian. His house can't win in the end, not as it is, but damn he's a likable bastard.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Aegis is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I'm 2/3 of the way through A Clash of Kings, and I'm loving the series so far.

I don't have HBO so I haven't seen any of the TV version of the story yet. I'm asking for the first season DVD for my birthday in July.

I've known about the book series for a long time, but got so turned off by Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series that I swore off the "doorstop" fantasy novel thing all-together.

I'm glad I changed my mind on A Song of Ice and Fire. It is very well written, and I like the genre. I hope the series gets completed before too long. One of my issues with the Wheel of Time was that I would forget what happened 4 books ago while I was waiting for the next installment. There was too much description of minutia in the books for me to struggle through re-reading them to get back up to speed.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I don't have HBO but I caught the first two or three episodes. I've read all the books that have so far been published. I can't help but root for Tyrian. His house can't win in the end, not as it is, but damn he's a likable bastard.
    Tyrion's one of my favorite characters. I hate that he's a Lannister, but he seems to at least have a bit of a heart.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Thread Information