Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cajunguy

Thread: Otterbox or...?

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Otterbox or...?

I'm looking to protect my newest tech investment and I'm wondering about what cases are good. I've heard great things about Otterboxes, but then again those are the only ones I've heard ANYTHING about. Any recommendations? I'm currently debating between the Otterbox Defender and the Otterbox Commuter. I'm not especially rough and tumble but I am a bit of a butterfingers at times. That said, my phone isn't cheap and I want it to last as long as possible.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    I've never used the Otterbox, but I have used the Seidio for my current and previous BB.

They have cases for all the different brands, and I really like mine.

You can take a look at SEIDIO | Smarter Mobile Accessories | Corporate

Ducky likes this.
    The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'm opposed to anyone wearing Gators as footwear, but gel silicone for a phone protector is practical without getting too much in the way of function.

All I ever used on the iPod Touch too, and that thing was thrown with malice a few times.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
    I've never used the Otterbox, but I have used the Seidio for my current and previous BB.

They have cases for all the different brands, and I really like mine.

You can take a look at SEIDIO | Smarter Mobile Accessories | Corporate

I'm liking the Active for the HTC Evo 3D. Do they come with screen protectors or is that separate?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I'm very rough on phones. All I have ever used is otterbox and they have served me well. I've broken 3 otterbox with no damage to the phone.

Via Tapatalk.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Jim1348 is online now Rookie
    Verified LEO

Otterbox Or...?

What phone do you have? I have Otterboxes for the Motorola Defy phones that both of my sons have. My wife, however, wanted a pink case for her phone! So, that caused me to dig a bit deeper. While I think Otterbox makes a great case, there might be others worth considering. Her is a link to a CNET article. While I don't know that you have an iPhone, what cases are listed might make one for your phone if it isn't an iPhone.

Top 20 tough iPhone 4 and 4S cases | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    I'm liking the Active for the HTC Evo 3D. Do they come with screen protectors or is that separate?
    I believe that some come with the protectors (like I had for my BB9700), and some you have to get the protectors seperately (like I have for my current BB9900). The protectors they sell are model specific and are pre-cut to fit the phone perfectly. They are the static cling type, so there is no adhesive to mess with.

I got the Seidio Surface Combo kit. It fits my BB perfectly, and does a great job of protecting it. The screen guards (protectors) were $12.95 for a two-pack, and I'm still on my first one after about nine months of use, and it's still in great shape. Good investment as far as I'm concerned.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    What phone do you have? I have Otterboxes for the Motorola Defy phones that both of my sons have. My wife, however, wanted a pink case for her phone! So, that caused me to dig a bit deeper. While I think Otterbox makes a great case, there might be others worth considering. Her is a link to a CNET article. While I don't know that you have an iPhone, what cases are listed might make one for your phone if it isn't an iPhone.

Top 20 tough iPhone 4 and 4S cases | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews
    I have an HTC Evo V 4G which is the same phone as the HTC Evo 3D only with better programming.

The Otterbox Commuter case seems to have a good number of people upset about it not fitting quite right and the silicon getting baggy after not too long of using it. The Defender reviews are better except there seems to be an issue with the case interfering with the microphone. I know fitment issues vary from phone to phone, which is why I'm checking out as many as I can as far as reviews before I decide. Any and all opinions you guys have are welcome.

I like the cases that have mostly sleek outsides with rubbery corners, as I carry my phone in my pocket more often than not and don't like fighting to get it out. I'm checking out reviews for the Trident cases now.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

code3bg is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    One thing I will say about Otterbox... they have the best damn customer service I've ever encountered. Back when I had the original Motorola Droid, I had an Otterbox commuter case on it. The black plastic piece on the front kept cracking, over and over again. But they made it right every time by sending me a brand new case, a complete case, every time that piece cracked. I didn't even buy the case from them, I bought it on ebay or something like that. A guy from work has an otterbox that broke and they did the same thing for him (it's the small plastic ring that snaps to the front of some phones, sometimes they crack because they're so thin). I would recommend the commuter series, since you said you aren't too rough with your phone. The defender series is kick ass, but very bulky. As far as the silicone on the commuter series stretching out after a while, just call them and get a new one sent to you if that happens. They stand behind their stuff 100%.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by code3bg View Post
    One thing I will say about Otterbox... they have the best damn customer service I've ever encountered. Back when I had the original Motorola Droid, I had an Otterbox commuter case on it. The black plastic piece on the front kept cracking, over and over again. But they made it right every time by sending me a brand new case, a complete case, every time that piece cracked. I didn't even buy the case from them, I bought it on ebay or something like that. A guy from work has an otterbox that broke and they did the same thing for him (it's the small plastic ring that snaps to the front of some phones, sometimes they crack because they're so thin). I would recommend the commuter series, since you said you aren't too rough with your phone. The defender series is kick ass, but very bulky. As far as the silicone on the commuter series stretching out after a while, just call them and get a new one sent to you if that happens. They stand behind their stuff 100%.
    I second this opinion about their customer service. I had a belt clip break on my Otterbox and they sent me another entire set up for my Droid Bionic.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

kjlaw is online now Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    Ballistic also makes great cases. The only drawback is the lack of a belt clip but since I do not normally use one not a huge problem for me. The ballistic is a slimmer feel with on par protection to the otter box.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlaw View Post
    Ballistic also makes great cases. The only drawback is the lack of a belt clip but since I do not normally use one not a huge problem for me. The ballistic is a slimmer feel with on par protection to the otter box.
    I'm liking this one, too. The Hard Core especially, as I can layer it up as needed.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    I had an Otterbox for my iPhone 4, but got rid of it after a short while. Yeah, it protects it, but adds a lot of bulk to an otherwise very sleek phone. I have this one now.

Amazon.com: Case-mate Pop Case for iPhone 4 / 4S (Green/Grey): Cell Phones & Accessories
    (when I got it, it was $7 on Amazon)

Looks like these are the same for yours:

Amazon.com: case mate pop htc evo: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    I don't have anything bad to say about my Otterbox Commuter. I have the HTC Evo...and it's never been anything but awesome. And I drop my phone all the time. hehehe
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I use an Otterbox Defender and like it quite a bit.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    I use an Otterbox Defender and like it quite a bit.
    I have the Otterbox Defender as well.

Thread Information