Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Instagram grants itself the right to sell users' photos without payment or notification

Instagram said today that it has the perpetual right to sell users' photographs without payment or notification, a dramatic policy shift that quickly sparked a public outcry.
    The new intellectual property policy, which takes effect on January 16, comes three months after Facebook completed its acquisition of the popular photo-sharing site. Unless Instagram users delete their accounts before the January deadline, they cannot opt out.
    That means that a hotel in Hawaii, for instance, could write a check to Facebook to license photos taken at its resort and use them on its Web site, in TV ads, in glossy brochures, and so on -- without paying any money to the Instagram user who took the photo. The language would include not only photos of picturesque sunsets on Waikiki, but also images of young children frolicking on the beach, a result that parents might not expect, and which could trigger state privacy laws.
    Instagram says it now has the right to sell your photos | Politics and Law - CNET News

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not an Instagram user. Wondering about Photobucket however.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Not an Instagram user. Wondering about Photobucket however.
    Try your Facebook photos. Facebook bought Instagram and I suspect they will both become integrated soon.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Update:
    Instagram has said it will remove language from its new terms of service that would have allowed users' photos to be part of advertisements that would run within the photo sharing social network.
    Systrom said Instagram was listening to its users and would fix any mistakes on the social network's part. He said Instagram never intended to sell people's photos to others without compensating the photographers.

"This is not true and it is our mistake that this language is confusing," he said. "To be clear: It is not our intention to sell your photos. We are working on updated language in the terms to make sure this is clear."

The response from Systrom comes after many of the social network's users threatened to stop using the service and delete their accounts altogether.
    Instagram withdraws policy change, won't put users' photos in ads - latimes.com

Thread Information