Welcome to the APBWeb.
    ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO

End of Watch- **SPOILER ALERT***

I finally watched End of Watch. While the different camera angles were getting me to the verge of queezy, overall it was a good movie. Not an all time great or anything, but a good movie.

What really got me was the funeral. In 2006 I lost a new friend (only been on the agency for a few months, but a great guy) when he was shot and killed at a domestic. His partner was shot 5 times in the resulting shootout, in which he killed the scumbag who killed Gary.

Watching the funeral scene, and seeing the partner there with his arm in a sling and walking on a crutch, well, that's exactly how Joe was when he attended Gary's funeral. Brought back some emotions.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Is it a spoiler when the title of the movie is the ending?

I just saw the movie too and enjoyed it. They did a good job showing some of the risks and the mindset but it was still over the top.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The thing that I liked about EOW is that they emphasized the brotherhood. If LAPD is anything close to that, it's much tighter knit than agencies around here, but it's still the ideal that we strive to. Being in eachother's weddings, seeing kids born, being willing to lay it all out, just to save the guy next to you. That sort of thing resonates with me. Too many shows (Southland included) get away from that aspect only to sensationalize the boozing, the pussy-chasing, and the self-destruction of cops due to their jobs. It was nice to see a movie where the plot is driven by the bond the partners had, and the kind of shit and pranks that get pulled in stations all over the country. I liked it a lot.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

SteelCityK9Cop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    The thing that I liked about EOW is that they emphasized the brotherhood. If LAPD is anything close to that, it's much tighter knit than agencies around here, but it's still the ideal that we strive to. Being in eachother's weddings, seeing kids born, being willing to lay it all out, just to save the guy next to you. That sort of thing resonates with me. Too many shows (Southland included) get away from that aspect only to sensationalize the boozing, the pussy-chasing, and the self-destruction of cops due to their jobs. It was nice to see a movie where the plot is driven by the bond the partners had, and the kind of shit and pranks that get pulled in stations all over the country. I liked it a lot.
    Problem is.. the booze... the pussy chasing... and the inability to separate screwed up home life from work IS the self destruction that costs cops their jobs. Southland focuses on it in EVERY episode with some of the characters which gets old.

As far as EOW goes... I can't say I ever felt that tight with guys on my shift as we don't have partners but when I was assigned to swat we were brothers to the core.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We work closely together here although not doubled up. Regardless of personalities we all know if someone needs it it'll happen. Good movie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Problem is.. the booze... the pussy chasing... and the inability to separate screwed up home life from work IS the self destruction that costs cops their jobs. Southland focuses on it in EVERY episode with some of the characters which gets old.

As far as EOW goes... I can't say I ever felt that tight with guys on my shift as we don't have partners but when I was assigned to swat we were brothers to the core.

That's what I meant. It exists, sure, but it doesn't define what being a cop is. You don't get into police work so you can become and alcoholic and ruin your home life. It's an unfortunate consequence sometimes, but the brotherhood is what sustains the profession. I meant that to sensationalize that aspect so much convinces people that our lives are nothing BUT negative consequences. That's just not true, and I appreciated the fact that End of Watch, while being over the top, didn't try to paint me and others like me as a degenerate addict with a fucked up home life. It showcased more of the good than bad, even if the "good" was also hard to relate to since we're not that tight knit here either.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

SteelCityK9Cop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    That's what I meant. It exists, sure, but it doesn't define what being a cop is. You don't get into police work so you can become and alcoholic and ruin your home life. It's an unfortunate consequence sometimes, but the brotherhood is what sustains the profession. I meant that to sensationalize that aspect so much convinces people that our lives are nothing BUT negative consequences. That's just not true, and I appreciated the fact that End of Watch, while being over the top, didn't try to paint me and others like me as a degenerate addict with a fucked up home life. It showcased more of the good than bad, even if the "good" was also hard to relate to since we're not that tight knit here either.
    Isn't it sad though that (for most of us) we got into police work with the goal of helping people only to find that you don't really get the opportunity very often? We run around putting band aids on problems... we try to help people who don't really want to be helped. Its just sad some times.

I still love the job... I spent the day getting paid to swim in a pool doing swift water rescue training. Kick ass!

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I guess I didn't think it over the top. I thought the movie was fairly realistic and thought that the cinematography was pretty neat, especially when Ghillenhall had the shotgun while searching for the rookie. I couldn't figure out the whole hand held radio thing and why both didn't have radios. That was a little kooky. Plus, after killing the first bad guy at the end, why not pick up his AK so that you have something to fight back with?
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

Thread Information