Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Student filmmakers doing armed robbery scene without a permit without almost get shot by real police who think they're real robbers

Student filmmakers were nearly fired at by police in California on Thursday while shooting a robbery drama at a coffee shop down the street from the Glendora Police station.Eight on-duty police officers responded to a frantic 911 call around 7:19 p.m. from a citizen who thought she was witnessing an armed robbery at Classic Coffee Café, unaware that it was staged by the filmmakers.In the 911 call, a woman tells the operator, “Classic Coffee on Glendora Avenue is getting robbed. … I could see two men with bandannas over their face and I could see one pulled a gun out of his pocket.”Responding officers were fooled, too.“Officers arrive and see no indications other than it being an armed robbery in progress,” said Glendora Police Capt. Tim Staab. “They don’t see anything out front indicating there is filming going on. … We hadn’t been notified, and outside, because it was an amateur film crew, there were no trucks or equipment or people milling about.”The officers surrounded the café, and two of them entered and saw men with weapons, wearing masks, hoodies over their heads and gloves, Staab said. A suspect holding an assault rifle immediately put the rifle down. The other one, later determined to be an actor, wasn’t putting down the gun even as officers yelled at him to drop the weapon, Staab added.“They had no concept about how much danger they were in, so he held onto the gun, and when he didn’t drop the gun, the backing officer had already made the decision, since he wasn’t complying with officers, that if he had made any movement, he would have shot the suspect,” Staab said. “The lead officer grabbed the gun out of the suspect’s hand, put it on the floor, placed the suspect on the ground, and that’s when the sergeant looked up and saw the film crew.“The sergeant said, ‘What are you doing?’” Staab said. “They respond, ‘We’re filming a movie.’ ”Apparently, the students did get permission from the café owner to shoot their film, but did not notify police or apply for any filming permits from the city.
    Robbery Movie Actors Nearly Shot by Real Police - ABC News

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Some of the professors or instructors need to get slapped for this stuff. They should be covering how to film something like this safely -- and any other"get permission/don't cause needless alarm" stuff -- before sending students out on their own.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

lewisipso is online now Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The other one, later determined to be an actor, wasn’t putting down the gun even as officers yelled at him to drop the weapon, Staab added.“They had no concept about how much danger they were in, so he held onto the gun, and when he didn’t drop the gun, the backing officer had already made the decision, since he wasn’t complying with officers, that if he had made any movement, he would have shot the suspect,” Staab said.
    Unbelievable. Shock maybe? Amazing the lead officer got close enough to disarm him before he was shot.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Unbelievable. Shock maybe? Amazing the lead officer got close enough to disarm him before he was shot.
    Maybe he thought the police were part of the movie too...
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Thread Information