Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

App allows LEOs to check criminal databases with smartphone or tablet

The JusticeMobile application allows law enforcement officers to check state and federal criminal databases from the field using a smartphone or tablet, California Atty. Gen.Kamala D. Harris announced Monday. Although New York City police have tested a similar program, Harris' office said California was the first to use such an app on a statewide basis.Police can use the secured app to check a suspect's background, without using patrol car computers or radioing other personnel back at the station to track down the information, officials said.
    California police departments to deploy 'game-changer' app - latimes.com

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Ohio has a similar program
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Sanch is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Is the app susposed to be on police issued devices? Or if on personal device can that cause problems of making the device fair game for defense lawyers to use? And how secure would the app be from outside hackers going after the device? I'm not familiar with how easily or not easily hacked smart phones and tablets are.
    The world is open to those willing to break past the barriers of the boxes one is placed in by theirselves and others.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Ours is a website or mobile website rather than an app. Through ag's office
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

That Guy is offline No one in particular
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    Ours is a website or mobile website rather than an app. Through ag's office
    THis is much better, for the protection of the information and to curb abuse.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    App or webpage, similar concerns. Browser is going to cache some data which is a no-no for anything secure, app gives the coder control to make it less information leaky. But does the app require a login for each session, or has it been designed for convenience? Does the app establish a TLS connection?

App could easily be superior, but isn't as transparent. If coders were trained to, and given the opportunity, make real security a priority then we won't have to deal with clunky web interfaces. But current coders are like cats; give them the chance and they'll hide their scat and walk away (see also electronic voting). At least with a browser interface using user viewable protocols you know what you're dealing with and you can point what's being done wrong. (see most every online banking deployment)

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The benefit of using an app is the ability to use beefier, or customized, encryption not available through browsers.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Thread Information