Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By gopherpuckfan
  • 1 Post By Odd
  • 2 Post By Jim1348

Thread: RIP, Windows XP

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

RIP, Windows XP

After April, 2014, Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP.
    I currently have XP Pro. Just recently my motherboard fried so I brought it to a local puter guru to deal with. He gave me a Dell Dimension 4700 with XP Home to get by while I shop for a new puter.
    I was going to shop at a Computer Recycle shop (something with Windows 7 or Vista) or Best Buy. I heard Windows 8 had issues and they are coming out with Windows 8.1.

What direction would you take?
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    Windows 7 is the best OS Microsoft has ever released. That's what I'd go with.
    Xiphos and IMGreat101 like this.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Mint Linux with the GUI set to look like Windows: lightweight, fast and secure. If it was a kickboxer it'd be a woman of 98lbs who beats Mike Tyson up for fun. I'm used to the heavyweights though, so still Windows too.

Gopher's right, 7 is nice. 8 in encumbered with a bunch of pseudo-tablet nonsense. Some friends of the folks got a Win8 machine and couldn't tolerate it after a week of trying to figure it out. I stopped by, installed Classic Shell (donationware) to bring back the Start Button/Menu and tweaked a couple other things to make it more traditional Windows. (boot to desktop, etc) It's 90% of 7 at that point, with 5% missing (WMC being my DVR - comes in Win7, not 8) and 5% improvements under the hood that should make it slightly better somehow that I couldn't detect. Can even make it look almost exactly like XP if that's your preference, and it was mine when I first saw 7. Now I dig the glass elements they killed in 8.

Put simply, Win8 is moronic, but as MicroSoft iterates slowly it's easy to roll it back to what you're used to.

Chromebooks are interesting. IF (notice the big if) you live in the browser and the cloud it's an easy way of computing. Nothing to maintain, easy as signing in to your Google account when you switch machines. I can see the niche, and hope it stays just so, otherwise it's the saddest dystopia I ever saw.

But do give it a look for yourself.

As for hardware these days, doesn't much matter; we've been plateaued at the 1080P challenge point for years. Just to be safe, i3 or higher, 4 gigs of ram or higher. Don't buy a package unless you really like the monitor too. Don't buy a laptop, even cheap as they are now, if you never move your computer. Whatever you do, don't use the new keyboard just because it's new if it sucks.
    IMGreat101 likes this.

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

RIP, Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
    Windows 7 is the best OS Microsoft has ever released. That's what I'd go with.
    Like my buck toothed rodent friend says, go Windows 7 young man and you won't look back.
    gopherpuckfan and IMGreat101 like this.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Very good input and very much appreciated.

How I use my computer is evident here. The respected elders of the music societies here have labeled me "The Great Communicator". I need to maintain that presence as well with my smart phone, but that is another topic and I will not hijack my own thread.

To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Thread Information