Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Big Al is offline There is no place like home....
    Verified LEO

"Lone Survivor", who has seen it?

Watched it Friday. If you like movies based on true stories it is portrayed well. Of course there is some Hollywood movie spin included, but it tells the story based on true events of 4 Navy Seals.

Two thumbs up, IMO
    To be a good Law Enforcement Officer you MUST know the law!

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

"Lone Survivor", Who Has Seen It?

I have not seen it yet, but I am hoping to go this Saturday. Thank you for the reminder.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Watched it Friday. If you like movies based on true stories it is portrayed well. Of course there is some Hollywood movie spin included, but it tells the story based on true events of 4 Navy Seals.

Two thumbs up, IMO
    Which parts do you think are spin? Luttrell says it is pretty accurate.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Which parts do you think are spin? Luttrell says it is pretty accurate.
    I agree that is pretty accurate, but I don't believe the outcome and the way it is portrayed when they jumped/fell/slid down the mountain cliffs. Not say they didn't go over the edge, but the way it is depicted in the movie, it is my opinion that it would render you incapacitated. Dunno know, though I wasn't there.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I read the book and I want to see the movie. In the book, the damage they took before becoming completely incapacitated or dead was incredible.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    SPOILERS
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !

I wish the movie had shown the arduous trek they had to take in the rain and fog. Two minutes of showing them falling and tumbling and slogging in the shitty weather just to start the mission could have gone a long way to showing the determination and mettle of these men.

I think they should have spent more time showing Luttrell's 7 mile long hike stumbling and crawling, looking for water. His fight against the several Taliban who tracked him down there would have been neat to watch. He's half dead and crippled but still able to fight and kill several Taliban. Badass. Should have kept it.

His village rescue was highly dramatized to make the movie more exciting and keeping people on the edge of their seats. I understand that. Showing him walking around and playing with the kids (giving them medical treatment when the Taliban roughed them up) would not of have the gee whiz factor of a C-130 gunship blasting the Taliban. Luttrell walked off the aircraft and was not on the verge of death, flat-lining. Again, Hollywood is trying to keep people on the edge of their seats, Luttrell walking off the plane is anti-climactic.

The battle scene was pretty close to how I imagined it. Luttrell did a great job describing it in the book. There were some sequence issues (he was unaware the QRF was shot down and decimated until he was rescued for instance) but I'm quibbling. It was an epic scene and I had a lump in my throat the whole time, knowing what was going to happen. It was incredible to watch and you could have heard a pin drop in that theater.

I thought it was a great movie. It was a dramatization and well done, despite some discrepancies.

There's been some criticism of the movie based upon Luttrell's after action report of 10 Taliban fighting them. I think however he was unaware that when the CSAR folks went back looking for his team mates they found the area littered with Taliban bodies, bringing the estimates of the numbers in the force they fought way up. I think in the book they said 80-100 Taliban.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'll echo what Xiphos said. Wolven and I watched it Monday. It was good. Everyone should read the book though. It'll tell the whole story
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Mark7 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Saw the movie, ordered the book.
    “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”

Verified LEO
    I am going to read the book as well. Can you believe the media that is picking this movie apart?? Good advertising for it though.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The movie actually goes out of its way to avoid being political. In the book Luttrell outright blames liberal policies for what happened.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    The movie actually goes out of its way to avoid being political. In the book Luttrell outright blames liberal policies for what happened.
    I can't imagine. No wonder Luttrell got a bit defensive with that CNN reporter.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information