Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Should a business be able to refuse service to someone because they are homosexual?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 45.00%
  • No

11 55.00%
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Landscapers refuse to work for homosexuals, & pick up $40,000 in new business

HOUSTON, TX, United States (UPI) -- Business has been booming for Houston area landscaping company that refused to work for a gay couple.

Garden Guy Inc. owners Sabrina and Todd Farber were flooded with threats, hate mail and letters of support after their e-mail was circulated on the Internet, The New York Times said Saturday.

Sabrina Farber said the company eventually picked up about $40,000in new business while losing only two customers with about $500 each.

Sabrina Farber said after a potential customer mentioned his partner, she sent him an e-mail saying: 'I need to tell you that we cannot meet with you because we choose not to work for homosexuals.'

An American Civil Liberties Union attorney said the law appears to favor the Farbers, saying sexual orientation was not protected under federal commerce-related law.

The Association of Professional Landscape Designers condemned the couple`s action and instated a requirement for members to abide by an anti-discrimination clause, the Times said.

Cheech Guest
    thats fucked up.
    Like its going to affect there lives. Just do what your paid to do , quit worrying about other people. WEre to concerned with everyone else now a days

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Are the landscapers legal? Tony, tell your cousins to get to work.

I would say they have a right to work or not work for whoever they want. Its not a very smart business strategy though. I guess business is so good they can afford to turn away customers. Why would they care if they are gay? A customer is a customer. It makes me think maybe there is more to the story.

BTW if they worked w/o a shirt, they might even get a tip.

Bottom line, I guess they should be able to choose to take the job or not, no matter how rediculous it may be.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 11-12-06 at 04:48 AM.

"Stupid should hurt."

OFK
    OFK is offline Trollicious
    As a business owner I believe in the right to refuse service. I may not agree with a practice based on prejudice as in this case, but lets say you remodeled homes and that a known big time drug dealer asked you to remodel his house. Certainly you would think twice and perhaps even wish not to provide service. It is your right to do what is in your best interest.

Besides, what gay person in their right mind would go to s straight for decorating/landscaping?

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    ...I think they have a right to refuse service to whoever they want,... but its pretty fucked up to refuse service just over something like that... is it really that big a deal that they cant even be civil long enough to do business?
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    I believe you should have the right to refuse service to anyone you so choose. My business, I can serve whoever I want.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    Quote Originally Posted by cntryboy0531 View Post
    I believe you should have the right to refuse service to anyone you so choose. My business, I can serve whoever I want.
    +1 In free enterprise, damn right.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    It shouldn't matter . If your paid to do a job do it . If it bothers you then don't offer your services to the general public.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Who cares.
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    I think you need to change the wording of the poll. "Refusing service" conjurs up segregated restaurants and drinking fountains for me.

They chose to not accept a job.

"I am appreciative of your time on the phone today and glad you contacted us. I need to tell you that we cannot meet with you because we choose not to work for homosexuals."
    I think they're idiots myself. They apparently have a web site with links to "stop gay marriage" - one can only wonder why a gay couple chose to try to hire them in the first place.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Doc_Holliday is offline California Dreaming...
    just my $.02........The owners put their own money into the business to start it up, they put their necks on the line financially, they can "service" or not whomever they choose. The capatalist market will take care of the rest. Apparently since they claim to have picked up 40 large in new business, the market doesn't give a rats arse, so why should we? Having said that, I think its a pretty narrow view on their part...there is a difference between mowing someones grass and approving of how they lead their life.

GarcoDeputy is offline Officer First Class
    This is stupid!!!! If you wanna refuse service to someone who gives a shit!!! It's your loss!!!
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."
    Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I think it's up to the owners, but I do think it's discrimination.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information