Welcome to the APBWeb.
    10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO

Maryland Dispatchers Suspended

Story by nbc4.com

PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY, Md.-- Before someone killed Raymond Scott Brown, he called for help, but according to 911 tapes, dispatchers apparently did not take him seriously and now officials have disciplined the operators who took the call.

Brown, a well-known music producer and engineer known as "Scotty Beats" called 911 to report that someone was stealing his car.

Officials in Prince George's County, Md., released those tapes to NBC4.

The call to the 911 center was at 2:26 a.m. on Oct. 13, the night Brown was shot and killed by car thieves near his home in Lake Arbor, Md.

Dispatcher: "Prince George's County 911 Center. What is your emergency?" Brown: "Yes, somebody just came in my driveway, a tow truck and towed my car."

Brown told the dispatcher he was awakened by the alarm in his car, a Chrysler 300. The dispatcher however suggested that the vehicle was probably being repossessed.

Dispatcher: "OK, what I'm saying is the tow truck was picking up your car. Are you late on your payments on your car?"

Brown: "No! Not at all! Not at all! No I'm not late on my payments. Not at all!"

The dispatcher then told Brown to call back.

Dispatcher: OK, so what you're going to have to do sir, is give us a call back within the next two hours to find out what tow company has towed it, and where they took it to, and they'll give you a reason. But right now, they just did it, we won't have any way to know."

Brown: "All right, thank you."

Police said after hanging up, Brown ran outside, jumped into another car he owned and confronted the people in the tow truck a block away on South Lake Drive where he was shot and fatally wounded.

Prince George's County Public Safety Director Vernon Herron said an investigation determined that the three 911 call takers involved failed to do their jobs properly.

"We have procedures and policies in place that we want them to follow," Herron said. "There is no room for deviation from those procedures and those policies."

Herron said two dispatchers involved in the call were suspended for four days without pay and a third received a written reprimand.

At a candlelight vigil for Brown, one friend worried that the four-day suspension for the dispatchers was not enough.

"It's going to happen to another family," said D.J. Flexx, a friend of Brown's. "This can't happen! It's 911! They've got to help us."

Brown's homicide remains unsolved. Anyone with information is asked to Call Prince George's County Crime Solvers at 866-411-TIPS (8477). There is a substantial reward in this case.

Thoughts? Comments?
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    PG county is is VERY high crime area and it sounds like his car was being repossessed.

In PG, they get calls like that all the time (many people in PG are poor and cars get repossessed frequently)

It happens all the time, and PG is very VERY busy. Even more busy the DC metro. If they tied up units for calls like that everytime they got a call like that, they would not have enough to cover their calls.

Its a bad situation and it sucks for all those involved.

BUT lesson learned, IF YOU CAR IS BEING STOLEN DO NOT CONFRONT THE INDIVIDUALS STEALING IT, CARS CAN BE REPLACED. THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE INSURANCE. LET THE POLICE HANDLE THE POLICING, YOUR CAR IS NOT WORTH YOU LIFE!

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    Just to give you an idea:

By Craig Whitlock and David S. Fallis
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Sunday, July 1, 2001

By any measure, Prince George's County police have shot and killed people at rates that exceed those of nearly any other large police force in the nation.

Since 1990, they have shot 122 people, killing 47 of them.

By one standard – the number of fatal shootings per officer – they killed more people than any major city or county police force from 1990 through 2000.

That's as of 2001! And things hove not gotten any better

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    This is a tough one, because the call was about a vehicle being towed, not about any threats against him.

Their failure is in not creating a call at all - even if it was a repo, it was a disturbance.

Even so, he put himself in danger by pursuing the subjects. He'd be alive if he waited for an officer to take a stolen vehicle report.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    I am not sure I would have handled that much different after I received the call. I would have responded, but it would have been down there on my priority list. I agree with Iron Man. Don't be playing the hero. They don't issue citizens bullet proof vests and batman utility belts.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    As much as I am not a fan of one of my dispatchers right now, it makes my blood boil because it is pure media-spin bullshit. First off, it states "Before he was killed, he called for help." This is the first incorrect notion that people are getting...that he called 911 BECAUSE he was in danger. FALSE. Then, they go on to say that Dispatch "did not take him seriously." This implies that they did not treat his call with the urgency it deserved. FALSE. This sounded like a run of the mill repo. There was no disturbance, as the caller stated that the incident was past tense. This would be a "cold" or at best "just occurred" call, as opposed to "in progress." I ain't running hot just to settle what 9 out of 10 times turns out to be a civil dispute.

Then, let's not forget that thisfucking brain surgeon waltzed after these guys, probably still wearing underoos and footsy pajamas. Sorry, no sympathy for felony stupid here.

I agree that the Dispatchers should be disciplined, because at very least, they should advise the onduty road Sgt. If their protocol requires this, then they should be punished. I disagree, however, with how the media is painting thes people...grossly negligent, and somehow responsible for the death of someone that didn't seem too bright.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Terminator is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    First off, it states "Before he was killed, he called for help." This is the first incorrect notion that people are getting...that he called 911 BECAUSE he was in danger. FALSE.

Then, they go on to say that Dispatch "did not take him seriously." This implies that they did not treat his call with the urgency it deserved. FALSE. This sounded like a run of the mill repo. There was no disturbance, as the caller stated that the incident was past tense. This would be a "cold" or at best "just occurred" call, as opposed to "in progress." I ain't running hot just to settle what 9 out of 10 times turns out to be a civil dispute.

Then, let's not forget that thisfucking brain surgeon waltzed after these guys, probably still wearing underoos and footsy pajamas. Sorry, no sympathy for felony stupid here.

I disagree, however, with how the media is painting thes people...grossly negligent, and somehow responsible for the death of someone that didn't seem too bright.

You can thank political correctness for this. Most of the blame should have been placed squarely on the shoulders of the murder victim, and the agency should have made that clear.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Hell, in most areas the guys driving legit tow operations go armed. No way in hell am I going to confront in a situation like that, although I would probably be stupid enough to try and get a tag number of the truck. Beyond that, nope. I'm an abject coward.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information