Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Terminator is offline BANNED

Dancing with the Stars screwjob.....WTF

GRANDVIEW, Mo. -- Fans of "Dancing with the Stars" who tried to call in and vote for Mario Lopez on Tuesday night may have talked with a Missouri woman instead.

Hundreds of people called Carmen Allen's cell phone by accident.

Allen, who has never watched the show, said she was surprised when she started getting hang-up calls on her cell phone Tuesday night.

"Finally, I just said, 'Well, maybe I just need to quit saying 'Hello' and just pick up the phone and say, 'Who are trying to get a hold of?'" Allen said.

Callers were trying to vote for actor Mario Lopez. Viewers were asked to call a 1-800 number, which was the same as Allen's cell phone number, the only difference being the area codes.

But the calls did not stop. Allen said she received 200 calls in one hour Tuesday night. She turned off her cell phone, but the calls continued. She said she had 80 messages in her voice mail when she checked Wednesday morning.

When out-of-state callers were getting through, Allen said she thought it was more than just a wrong number.

"When I started getting really irritated, I just started picking up the phone and saying, 'You need to dial 1-800.' And they were saying, 'We are.' And it was just, it was like a person would call back three or four times," Allen said.

The calls were eating Allen's cell phone minutes, which her service provider will give back.

Allen said she didn't know who Mario Lopez was until friends told her.

And The Winner Is...

The winner of the competition? NFL star Emmit Smith.

"It is awesome! It is awesome!" Smith exclaimed when he won. Now, the NFL's all-time leading rusher has three Super Bowl rings and a mirrored ball dancing trophy.

Smith had some kind words for his fellow finalist. He called Mario Lopez a "true gentleman." Smith said Lopez's dancing helped to raise the bar for all the competitors.

The former Dallas Cowboy great credited his professional partner Cheryl Burke with transforming him into a dancer. Smith said they've come a long way.

Smith will make sure every visitor to his house will see his "Dancing with the Stars" trophy. He said he'll put that disco-ball-on-a-stand in his family room above the fireplace.

Smith said winning "Dancing" is "as big as the Super Bowl." He didn't say anything about the emotion of it.

"Dancing With The Stars" Finale: Karina Smirnoff, Mario Lopez, Cheryl Burke, Emmitt Smith

Instead, Smith talked about the numbers. He said, "Whenever you have 26 million people watching a show and watching you perform and then going to the phone after that and voting for you and pushing you through it, it says a lot about a television show."

Meanwhile, Lopez said he's "hanging in there" after coming in second. But, when he hears some people say he's the better dancer, he told Associated Press Radio News "therein lies the irony" because he "thought this was a dance competition" and that "the better dancer should win, if that's the objective."

He said he's not being boastful, but he had the better partner and the more difficult routines.

His dance partner, Karina Smirnoff, is making lemonade out of the lemons of coming in second. She said, "It's better to be second while everyone is saying 'You should have been first,' than be first when everyone says 'You should be second."

But Jerry Springer had different ideas. Springer said he had his fingers crossed that write-in votes would make him the winner of "Dancing with the Stars." It didn't happen.

But, Springer analyzed the real results, saying "Mario, obviously, was the most talented dancer in the show. Emmitt probably had the most compelling story because he came from being a regular guy -- obvious a super athlete -- but, a regular guy, and he learned how to dance on the show and rose to the top." Springer said, "That's the great American story" and he said he thinks "that's what won it."

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    Im sorry but I think that show is so gay
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Lizzy is offline Rookie
    I was cheering for Emmitt Smith since the first show. I went online and cast my votes.
    Go Emmitt!!!!!!!!!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Those are the same people that call 911 instead of 411.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I'm ashamed to say my wife "the dispatcher" watches that show....after all these years of marriage.....I'm finding out she likes shows like that???? geezzzz........... I won't divorce her yet........lol
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    What have they done to Emmit Smith?

K9ForLife is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gozling View Post
    Im sorry but I think that show is so gay
    I've never seen it and I agree with you.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    As a Dallas Cowboy fan, I can confidently say....

I knew Emmitt would win.

he's got blue blood. Cowboys always win.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Andrewtx is offline A little bit of soul
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    As a Dallas Cowboy fan, I can confidently say....

I knew Emmitt would win.

he's got blue blood. Cowboys always win.

I can't wait for the Cowboys to crush Indianapolis. It's going to be a very good week for the Cowboys.

Crimebytes2 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewtx View Post
    I can't wait for the Cowboys to crush Indianapolis. It's going to be a very good week for the Cowboys.
    You mean Cowgirls or is that Cowbabies? Both maybe? Either way, I have faith in Manning. Btw, sorry for hijacking the thread.
    Last edited by Crimebytes2; 11-17-06 at 05:17 PM.

Thread Information