Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Four Shot In MD. Mall Food Court (Including an Off-Duty Secret Service Agent)

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/10353581/detail.html

POSTED: 8:35 pm CST November 18, 2006
    UPDATED: 8:57 pm CST November 18, 2006

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- Anne Arundel County police said four people were shot in the food court of a shopping mall Saturday evening, and one was critically wounded.

Two victims, including the most seriously injured, were flown to area hospitals, Lt. Roy Phillips, a spokesman for the Anne Arundel County fire department, told WBAL-TV in Baltimore. Two others were driven to a local hospital with less serious injuries.

Witnesses said two men were arguing in the food court, pulled guns and started shooting at each other, the station reported. Police said an off-duty Secret Service agent tried to intervene and opened fire.

Police said the agent, both people involved in the fight and a bystander suffered injuries. Ray Leone, manager of the Borders Books & Music, which is located across from the food court, said he heard at least 10 gunshots. Several of his employees were in the food court at the time of the shooting, and they told him an elderly couple was hit by stray bullets.

He said he believed the shooting, which happened in front of a Panda Express, was gang related, and that the shots sounded like they came from automatic weapons. Dozens of people ran into the store after the shots rang out and were "very panicked," Leone said.

"It's really not very normal, way out of the commonplace," he said. [no shit - I would hope not ]Anne Arundel County police closed the mall and ordered shoppers to leave over the public address system. Police tape was strewn around the food court, where meals sat unfinished on the tables and personal property was left behind.

The Westfield Annapolis mall is located just west of the Annapolis city limits and has 270 stores including Macy's, JCPenney and Borders Books & Music.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Iron Man is offline Don't Tase me bro!
    damn

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Any follow up info on this?
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

kay88 is offline Sergeant
    horrible
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    The only follow-up I've seen is that the Secret Service agent's wounds are not life-threatening.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Geez!!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    ...and to top it all off, I'll bet it all started over something that wasn't even worth throwing a punch, much less throwing lead...
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by General Patten View Post
    ...and to top it all off, I'll bet it all started over something that wasn't even worth throwing a punch, much less throwing lead...
    Damn bro, you got more rice than I did WTF?

Nah bro WTF you?

Damn Bro I hope you is strapped.

Damn bro bring it.

Glad the Secret Cervix Agent is ok.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Where is that gecko45 and SpecOps as Mall Ninjas when you need them??

Anyone here seen this on the net? What a hoot.

http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/18/mar....ap/index.html
    Suspect in triple shooting at mall under guard at hospital
    POSTED: 3:19 a.m. EST, November 20, 2006

ANNAPOLIS, Maryland (AP) -- Authorities kept a man suspected in a triple shooting at a shopping mall under police guard Sunday in a hospital, and said charges were expected.

An off-duty U.S. Secret Service agent who tried to break up the melee and returned gunfire also was recovering from a gunshot wound to the leg, officials said.

Police did not release the name of the 18-year-old suspect, because detectives have been unable to talk to him and verify his identity. Police would only say he was from Annapolis and remained in stable condition. (Watch as people describe the chaos -- 1:21) Video

"We have the shooter guarded at the hospital and he is going to be in custody," said Officer Sara Schriver, an Anne Arundel County police spokeswoman. "He is going to be charged, so it's not like we have somebody at large."

The off-duty agent was in the Westfield Annapolis mall with his family at about 7:15 Saturday night when he saw a group of about eight young males acting disorderly in the food court area, police said. When he saw several of them assault another, he intervened and tried to stop it.

One of the people involved in the altercation pulled out a handgun and shot the agent, who then drew his service weapon, shouted that he was a police officer and fired back, police said. The suspect was shot twice in the upper body and apprehended by police officers.

Under federal law, Secret Service agents are allowed to carry a gun when they are off duty.

Kim Bruce, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Secret Service, declined to identify the off-duty agent. She said he had surgery on his leg Saturday night.

"Right now, he's in stable condition," she said. "He got shot once in the leg."

The third person who was shot was identified as 16-year-old Tahzay Brown, who was treated and released from a hospital before midnight Saturday, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Brown is a student at Annapolis High School, where he was involved in one of several fights that have drawn police to the school this year, his mother, Tanjala Brown, told The (Baltimore) Sun. She told the newspaper her son was jumped in September, and police never identified who attacked him.

On Friday, seven students were arrested after two fights at the school. Schriver said police were looking into the possibility that the school fighting may have been a motive.
    The police would probably have an easier time IDing those who jumped him if he freaking told them. You KNOW he knows who did it. Ass.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro56 View Post
    Glad the Secret Cervix Agent is ok.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    annaplolis/anne arundel county pd spokeman is insisting its not gang related...however gang related incidents of violence at annapolis high school have gone through the roof this year. so much that they have had to hire 6-10 off duty officers to work their football games, when they usually employ 1-2.

plus the incident is believed to be stemmed from a fight in the high school the previous day. according to witnesses, the shooter walked into the food court wearing a ski mask, approached the victim and opened fire. the secret service agent intervened, shot the offender, and received a bullet to his leg for his heroism as the crowd hauled ass from the food court to any available exit.

everyone's alive. the agent is going to be ok, the POS shooter is facing many charges. but it's not gang related...probably because annapolis refuses to believe theres a gang problem in their city.

IRON MAN, you may know more about this topic then me...if i botched any of it, let me know. this is the way its been explained to us at roll call however.

obviously i wasnt there, and am not familiar with how the court documents read. just witness accounts i have heard from the area, media, radio talk shows, etc...so my account could be off a little
    Last edited by tapout; 11-21-06 at 02:08 PM.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    annaplolis/anne arundel county pd spokeman is insisting its not gang related...however gang related incidents of violence at annapolis high school have gone through the roof this year. so much that they have had to hire 6-10 off duty officers to work their football games, when they usually employ 1-2.

plus the incident is believed to be stemmed from a fight in the high school the previous day. according to witnesses, the shooter walked into the food court wearing a ski mask, approached the victim and opened fire. the secret service agent intervened, shot the offender, and received a bullet to his leg for his heroism as the crowd hauled ass from the food court to any available exit.

everyone's alive. the agent is going to be ok, the POS shooter is facing many charges. but it's not gang related...probably because annapolis refuses to believe theres a gang problem in their city.

IRON MAN, you may know more about this topic then me...if i botched any of it, let me know. this is the way its been explained to us at roll call however.

obviously i wasnt there, and am not familiar with how the court documents read. just witness accounts i have heard from the area, media, radio talk shows, etc...so my account could be off a little

I haven't heard any more then what is on the news and WTOP radio. I pretty much only know that a shooting took place in front of a USSS Agent and the agent opened fire.

But I would find it VERY HARD to believe that it was not gang related. As you said Annapolis is having a growing problem with gangs. Of course they don't want to admit it, being the state capitol and all

Thread Information