Welcome to the APBWeb.
    kay88 is offline Sergeant

Parents sue Starbucks over child's burns

Parents sue Starbucks over child's burns
    by Diana Penner

A Hancock County couple have filed a lawsuit against Starbucks, accusing a Fishers store of serving scalding hot chocolate that seriously burned their little girl.

Michael and Alexis Brennan filed the suit Tuesday in Marion Superior Court on behalf of their daughter, Rachel.
    Rachel's age is not included in the lawsuit, but it says she was in a child restraint seat in the back seat of the family car Nov. 2, 2004, when Alexis Brennan went to the Starbucks at 116th Street and I-69.

Brennan ordered a child's hot chocolate with whipped cream and an adult hot chocolate without whipped cream at the drive-through. According to the lawsuit, Starbucks' policy is to serve child drinks at lower temperature than adult drinks to avoid kids getting burned.

Brennan handed her daughter the child drink, and as she pulled away from the window, it spilled into Rachel's lap.
    The child was "screaming in pain," and her mother pulled over, got Rachel out and removed her clothes to find the "skin on Rachel's leg was falling off of her."
    She suffered serious burns that required repeated medical attention and could require more medical attention, the lawsuit said. The parents are seeking unspecified damages.

"Starbucks Corporation takes seriously its obligation to provide a safe product to all our customers, and we are truly sympathetic to the Brennan incident that resulted in injuries to this customer's child," Indianapolis-based Borshoff, Johnson and Matthews, a public relations firm representing Starbucks, said in a written statement.

"The incident happened after the vehicle had pulled away from the drive-through window," the statement continued. "While Starbucks regrets this incident, we believe our store partners prepared and served the drink properly and that we are not responsible for the injuries."

Seriously... and did you notice the date...November 2, 2004...interesting..

Why give your child who is IN A CAR SEAT a cup of hot chocolate in the car anyways???
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Shades of Micky D's.

That's one way to pay your kids college tuition.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

General Patten is offline Surgeon General
    do these people never learn, or are they just desperate for money?
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
    Lead is very hazardous to your health.
    Always include Kevlar in your daily diet.

"I always believe in being prepared, even when I'm dressed in white tie and tails."
    - Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post
    Shades of Micky D's.

That's one way to pay your kids college tuition.

The Mickey Ds lady was fucked up pretty seriously. One of the Mods at 911jobforums was one of her lawyers. Do a search over there for his post about it.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

kay88 is offline Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by General Patten View Post
    do these people never learn, or are they just desperate for money?
    There are so many angles to look at this from. One of the possibilities that not many might think of...what if the other did it on purpose? Just to get money? Parents can be sick and twisted and I guess I would consider that a possibility. In answer to your questions General Patten, I'd say it's a mix of both.

And seriously, if the kid is in a car seat, they are too young to really grasp the concept that the stuff inside the cup might be hot.

I really feel sorry for the little girl that her mother is not the brightest bulb in the pack.
    Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    The Mickey Ds lady was fucked up pretty seriously. One of the Mods at 911jobforums was one of her lawyers. Do a search over there for his post about it.

So was the idiot that played with a DUD on the range in Germany after his sergeant took it away from him once and he went back and played with it until it blew his hand off.

Stupid is not an endangered species.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    we all know you can't expect parents to be parents....of course give your little darlin in a car seat something HOT that can spill all over themselves......
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by kay88 View Post
    A Hancock County couple have filed a lawsuit against Starbucks, accusing a Fishers store of serving scalding hot chocolate that seriously burned their little girl.
    Need I say anything more???
    dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by fscf3801 View Post
    Need I say anything more???
    So does that mean it is hot?
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

TXCOP is offline Officer First Class
    Well to play devil's advocate here, the lawsuit in the McD's case was due to the coffee being too hot. I mean by industry standards. It was somethng like 30 degrees above the norm. You know as well as I do that they make the coffee once and keep it hot all day. They tried to cut corners and it came back on them.

Personally I'd like to see Starbucks take a hit. On 9/11, some NYFD EMTs entered a Starbucks to get water for victims. They ended up paying because the pierced asshat behind the counter wouldn't give it up.

That's a seriously fucked up corporate policy.
    "Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you.
    He is training with minimum food or water, in austere conditions, day and night.
    The only thing clean on him is his weapon.
    He doesn't worry about what workout to do---his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
    The True Believer doesn't care "how hard it is"; he knows he either wins or he dies.
    He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home.
    He knows only the Cause.
    Now, who wants to quit?"

"I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. And because I can not do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do I should do. And what I should do, by the Grace of God, I will do."

Edward Everett Hale

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCOP View Post
    Well to play devil's advocate here, the lawsuit in the McD's case was due to the coffee being too hot. I mean by industry standards. It was somethng like 30 degrees above the norm. You know as well as I do that they make the coffee once and keep it hot all day. They tried to cut corners and it came back on them.

Personally I'd like to see Starbucks take a hit. On 9/11, some NYFD EMTs entered a Starbucks to get water for victims. They ended up paying because the pierced asshat behind the counter wouldn't give it up.

That's a seriously fucked up corporate policy.

I would also like to see Starbucks take a hit for the same reasons. Granted if we had an incident like NY in Chicago, the Asshat behind the counter can take my badge number and try to stop myself and the 20 other coppers from taking the water.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Thread Information