Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jackalope is offline Yell O

First Daughter Barbara Bush Robbed in Argentina

First Daughter Barbara Robbed in Argentina

November 21, 2006 3:14 PM

First Daughter Barbara Bush had her purse and cell phone stolen as she had dinner in a restaurant in Buenos Aires, Argentina, even though she was being guarded by a detail of Secret Service agents, according to law enforcement reports made available to ABC News.

It was not the only mishap on the two-week trip to Argentina by Barbara (right) and her twin sister Jenna (left).

A Secret Service agent on the advance detail got into an "altercation" with someone after a night out and was badly beaten, according to the law enforcement reports. The Secret Service said today the incident was an attempted mugging that occurred while the agent was on his own time. The agent is doing fine.

The purse snatching took place on Barbara's first night in town while she was dining in the picturesque San Telmo neighborhood. According to the reports, the Secret Service agents failed to notice the incident.

The Secret Service would not comment on the purse snatching, and the First Lady’s office said they would not comment on any personal trip made by the daughters. There have been recent reports, however, that Jenna Bush has been living and working in Panama as an intern for UNICEF.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Since they didn't notice it, I'm guessing her purse was on a chair or something?

Theft, but not robbery?

*edit*

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (CNN) -- First daughter Barbara Bush's purse was stolen while she was in Argentina with her twin sister Jenna, a law enforcement source who was briefed on the incident told CNN Tuesday.

It was unclear when the incident took place, but the source told CNN Barbara Bush, 24, was "not in the immediate proximity" of the bag when it was stolen.

The source declined to provide additional details, but said, "at no point were the protectees out of visual contact and at no point was there any risk of harm."

An administration official confirmed "a theft incident" involving Barbara Bush in Argentina, but gave no details either.

The White House and the Secret Service both declined comment.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Thread Information